News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Consistency in treatment of string formatting in convoi dialogue

Started by sanna, May 30, 2010, 01:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanna

Currently the various tags used for the information given at the top of the convoi dialogue are treated differently as far as concerns the addition of colons and spaces. Some of the strings need to be translated with a colon, some without and one with both a colon and a space in order for the outcome shown in the dialogue to be consistent.

In Simutrans Experimental, Bernd Gabriel has removed this inconsistency by moving all the colons and spaces to code, instead of relying on the translators (cf. this thread: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=5224.0).

I would like to suggest that a similar clean-up is made in Standard (unfortunately I am unable to provide a patch myself); whether or not the colon etc should be added in code or by translators is I think irrelevant as long as all of the strings involved are treated similarly. Using the same method in Standard as in Experimental would of course mean that the strings could be reused (Experimental already takes the existing Base texts and adds/overwrites strings specific for Exp.)

The strings concerned are:

• Gewinn - needs to be translated with colon
  • Gewicht - needs to be translated without colon
  • Fahrtziel - needs to be translated with colon and space
  • Serves Line: - needs to be translated with colon

prissi

But this means several months or year in less used langauges without translation ... There are many places, where work like this can be started. One can this discuss, but my opinion is, that do not start fixing something not really broken.

Furthermore, I am not sure what you mean "without colon" The strings you are mentioned are all without colons.

sanna

Admittedly I have been somewhat too influenced by the English translations where all these strings have colon. Looking at the dialogue in question in English and German gives a slightly different layout, where German has no colon for the Gewicht, but has one for the other lines. Note that the space after the colon in Destination and Fahrtziehl is part of the translated string.

prissi