News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

My little contribution (pak 128)

Started by yorkeiser, May 31, 2010, 02:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yorkeiser

First of all, i'd like to thank all people who play and support this beautiful game.
Here I'm pleased to share the map i'm actually playing:

- pak 128
- Simutrans v 102.2
- Start in 1930 with 5,000,000 money

The idea was to simulate the growth of a region with its network, so I begun with a standard 256x256 map, with 16 cities (no timeline, because it's a really hard work to redesign all the network when you discover new vehicles). I added the first train lines to connect main cities, and as far as I gained money I founded new towns (they're all bought with player's money, no public service). So, in the early stage, the goal was to gain money to found cities.

Here is a screenshot of the earlier stage, with different colours for main train lines.

The basic idea was to build a main train station for every city, and add one or more tram lines to connect those main stations to suburbs. When the towns began to grow, tram lines were no more sufficient, so I had to cross them with monorail lines (or multilevel monos, in some cases), and finally I developed the underground network.
The network actually transports 15 millions passengers per year, with revenues in the range of 165 millions per year.
Here's an actual screenshot:

And this is the .sve (I'm sorry for the host, I tried to use the simutrans hosting but it doesn't upload my files...)
http://utenti.multimania.it/pavullo/simutrans/e3.sve

The main chellenge was to adapt every time the network to the size of various towns, that growing all together always require a greater number of lines and vehicles. Actually, the map hosts 1350 vehicles, serving more than 150 lines. On the other hand, because most of the lines are not underground, another great difficulty was to find the physical space, between houses and factories, to build rails and stations. The result is maybe a little bit confused network, compared to other maps i've seen here, but... hey, it's not easy to design a network and follow a single plan when they continuously build houses everywhere  ;D

Hope you enjoy it

Yorke

vilvoh

Looks awesome!! it would be a very good candidate for a savegame video review.. ;D

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

yorkeiser

Quote from: vilvoh on May 31, 2010, 02:30:26 PM
Looks awesome!! it would be a very good candidate for a savegame video review.. ;D

I don't know what video reviews are... however thanks! :D
One question: is there a repository or something similar with REAL maps? I mean, maps with real country boundaries, real cities etc...

vilvoh

gauthier

nice network (I don't like tiny high speed rail lines but it's only my point on view ;) ).

There's a problem Verona Centrale station, the platform on the Western bridge is composed of two stations so trains can't enter completely in the station.
You should switch to public services (keyboard shortcut "k") to remove industries you don't use for their goods.

yorkeiser

Quote from: gauthier on June 03, 2010, 04:59:13 PM
nice network (I don't like tiny high speed rail lines but it's only my point on view ;) ).

There's a problem Verona Centrale station, the platform on the Western bridge is composed of two stations so trains can't enter completely in the station.
You should switch to public services (keyboard shortcut "k") to remove industries you don't use for their goods.

Thanks for your reply, I'm always happy to listen to other point of views, and I suppose you all here are far more experienced than me.
I'm very interested on that point: "I don't like tiny high speed rail lines". So, do you think it's better to build slower lines with more rails? If so, don't you loose the speed bonus in that way and, at the same time, have to pay higher maintenance costs because you have more rails ?
For the rest, you're really right, i have to fix that problem on Verona station... but, my god, you surprised me: in some minutes you saw a thing that I ignored for months :D

gauthier

If you want to keep a high speed line, do the same as the central line or underground lines : double-track and long schedule. But for two stations line, you'd better use high capacity and slower trains, so you can use less expensive tracks since your trains rarely reach very high speed.

tsutomu

Hello,

Your network is really impressive, I was also planning on creating a map where I have to progressively build new towns, but I could not find how to create a new town with the player's money, without using the public service.

How could I do that?

Thanks in advance.

yorkeiser

@tsutomi: tnx, it really took much time to develop and correct issues.
I added the "found new city" icon straight on the player's menu, working on the file \simutrans\pak128\config\menuconf.tab.
However, on a "plain" installation of the game, you can add new cities by switching to public service (icon P+ on a blue field) and then the icon to let you found a town will be visible.

sgtsammac

I downloaded it but it is so big it just instantly crashed my simutrans LOL, i blame my rubbish laptop.

yorkeiser

Still here with a passenger-only network. This time I worked on a 512x512 map with 100 cities generated in the beginning of the game, with average size of 3000 citizens per city. By far, after 250 years the map hosts 5 million citizens and the network transports 42 million passengers per year. It's mainly a train network, very distributed: there are 17 main train lines, each one using 2 or 4 railtracks, that connect all the cities; the local transport from train stations to suburbs is performed by circular or straight bus and monorail lines. Network is completed by sea lines that connect oil farms. Air transportation isn't used at the moment, but I'm planning to reserve some space to build some airports to decongest railroads.
Here's the schema of the network, automatically generated by a Java tool I'm writing - I always dreamed that the built-in map viewer could show all the lines on the map and mark them with different colors  ;D

In this map, thicker lines are railroads, normal lines are surface lines (buses and monorails), dotted lines are sea lines.

Here's an overview of the map:

And here's the .sve: http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/BigMap.sve: if you want to test it, take care to change the station coverage (I used 4, while it's 2 on standard pak128). To do that, just go under \your_simutrans_install_directory\pak128\config, open the file simuconf.tab with a text editor, search for the string "station_coverage = 2" and replace it with "station_coverage = 4"

One last note: all train stations are subterranean to provide easy extension of them, while railtracks run on the surface (where it's possible). As for the first post, the game runs under simutrans 102.2.2, with standard pak128 (no add-ons).

vilvoh

Quote from: yorkeiser on January 31, 2011, 11:39:17 AM
Here's the schema of the network, automatically generated by a Java tool I'm writing - I always dreamed that the built-in map viewer could show all the lines on the map and mark them with different colors  ;D

In this map, thicker lines are railroads, normal lines are surface lines (buses and monorails), dotted lines are sea lines.

Really cool tool, yorkeiser... I'm looking forward to see it released! :::)

Fabio

There is already a function to show a selected line on minimap. Could it be possible to patch the program to display them all at once?