News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Errors, omissions and bug reports

Started by jamespetts, March 21, 2009, 08:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I have noticed several minor errors and omissions in PakBritain, and thought that it would be useful to start a separate thread to list them.

1. The steam locomotive, the BR 7MT "Britannia" is mis-spelt "Brittania".

2. There are no translations for any of the new assets introduced since the latest official release.

3. The GWR-Express-Coach is incorrectly translated as "GWR Express Carriage (brake)" - "(brake)" should be omitted.

4. The BR Mk. I GUV is missing a "Constraint[Next][3]=none" line to enable a train to be formed of just GUV vehicles, as was common in reality.

All fairly minor errors, but worth addressing :-)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Thanks.  I'm currently only doing translations for major releases, but if you want to suggest some translations for the missing items I will include them next time.

jamespetts

What would be the best format for suggesting translations?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jamespetts

I don't think that the unreleased objects are set up on SimuTranslator, are they?

The Hood

I know nothing about simutranslator (although I have heard about it).  Anyone willing to give me an overview?  Or better still, anyone willing to do this for pakBritain (I'd rather just draw...)

(i.e. no, as far as I know nothing is set up for SimuTranslator in pak128.Britain at the moment)

VS

Translator... you feed it complete zip archives with png and dat files as you have them. Then it does its magic, people translate, and you can download a zip archive with translation files. At least that is theory.

In theory it should also manage all items etc... but in practice I can't really recommend that, as export is very resource hungry action and usually crashes before it is done. Also Frank spoke more than once against importing complete big graphics, since that is the other side of the same coin. Lots of data in database, useless because you will never export.

What I did was write a script that takes out just first four images from every object and saves that aside, so that you can then pack this ocean of files in batches of about 1 MB and upload. I can share that if you wish, but be warned. It needs a) python, b) pygame, c) some sort of mass conversion afterwards (it writes the files as bmp). But this is mostly annoyance in setting up, once you do it you're good to go and become expert :P

Bottom line, it is very simple to use. And if you never download objects, some parts do not matter. So I'd say go forward without fear.

The only quirk is that you can't delete objects (at least last I checked) so make sure you rather keep old content and add than change.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Frank

Quote from: VS on March 21, 2009, 10:18:20 PM
In theory it should also manage all items etc... but in practice I can't really recommend that, as export is very resource hungry action and usually crashes before it is done. Also Frank spoke more than once against importing complete big graphics, since that is the other side of the same coin. Lots of data in database, useless because you will never export.

Quote*CHG: images moved from db to file system
see Translator changelog

you can all grafics import

Not translated objects not import in translator. Translator import skipped this objects.

VS

Oh, this is good :)

(You hide the improvements well.)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jamespetts

Attached is an updated translation file, containing (1) some fixes for a few errors; and (2) new translations for all of the new objects released so far. I hope that this is helpful :-)

The Hood

Thanks James, that is helpful.  I need to remove a lot of the standard pak128 stuff and make a few more categories to make things easy to find, and then I will include it in future uploads / versions.

jamespetts

I think that the categories are hard-coded - if something is not in the right category, it won't work. (I haven't looked into the translator code in detail, so I could be wrong about the general statement).

Frank

The categories in the tab file are derived from the Obj parameter in the dat files.

The categories in the tab file are coments, not coded in program.

jamespetts

Hmm, that's odd, because putting the 'bus stop translations under one category meant that they did not work, and moving them to another category caused them to work. Very curious.

The Hood

All comments need to be two lines of comments in order to preserve the correct pattern in the file, I think.

Martinwh1

I am trying PAK128 Britain for the first time but have encountered a couple problems:
1. It appears to be impossible to use the BR Mk2 and Mk3 carriages as the "end" carriage is missing so I get the "This combination can't drive" message
2. Industry growth seems very haphazard - I have a power stations and 2 steel mills but no mines to supply them, 2 clothes shops but no textile mill etc etc   

jamespetts

Welcome to the forums! I am glad that you are interested in PakBritain - there are some lovely things there. However, the version currently available for download is incomplete - PakBritain is still a work in progress. Hopefully, before long, a more complete one will become available. (I think that the errors that you describe are addressed in the current work-in-progress build: the compiled version currently available lags behind the recent work on the project).

The Hood

Thanks for the feedback.  Re point 1 - I think there are a few constraints which need sorting out for the next release, I'll check if they are still there.  Re point 2 - that shouldn't happen.  The industry chains are all complete.  This may be a bug in the exe (i.e. not pakBritain) or it may be a problem with incomplete industry over the timeline.  Are you playing with timeline on, and if so, what year?

Martinwh1

Thanks for the responses. As far as "industry" is concerned, I have the timeline on and am up to Spring 1975. I have a bookshop, a coal power station, 2 car dealerships, 2 clothes shops, a furniture factory and 2 furniture shops, a hardware factory and 2 hardware shops and 2 steel mills - none of which has any "raw" materials.
I have a car factory but can only supply plastic via a refinery and oil well.
The only "complete" industries are sheep farm - slaughterhouse - butchery (which is unusable because of the know lack of livestock transport) and orchard - greengrocers

The Hood

Thanks for the details.  I suspect that what you are getting is happening because the industry timeline is not complete (e.g. a coal mine can only be built until 1950, and I haven't drawn a more modern coal mine to take its place after 1950 yet).  All the ones you have incomplete chains for happen because one or more of the industries has stopped appearing by 1975.

I didn't expect that to happen though - I thought that if one factory was missing, the chain could never be built?  Maybe someone on the dev team could shed some light on this?  In any case, more industries are eventually planned, but for the next release I will relax some of the retire/intro years for these industries.

PS about the livestock wagon, not for much longer  ;) (thanks to druid)