News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Airports with multiple strips for landing

Started by DavidS42, October 01, 2008, 04:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidS42

Hi,

I've build an airport with high traffic density and the aeroplanes want to land faster than the previous can clear the landing strip. Building a third airstrip didn't help.

What did I do wrong?

Regards, DavidS

P.S: I'm using a current nightly build and pak128

wernieman

It is a known Problem on Airpots. with One-Way-Signals you kan make a start and landing-strip, but normaly it don´t help to make a 3. strip
I hope you understand my English

DavidS42

:-\ Then I'll have to wait until bigger aeroplanes are available ...

Stubbsy

You need to add more Stops, The Planes won't land until there is a space to stop, it's nothing to do with amount of runways.

DirrrtyDirk

At a certain point more stops won't help either - there can only be one plane on any runway at any point of time. So if the runway is in use by one plane, the next one will still circle and wait - even if there are a hundred free stops.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Stubbsy

Oh, that's changed now, lol, i didn't know that was re-done, but his problem atm is stops, looking at it right? As wernieman said you'll need to have one-way signals on the runways for more than one to be used.

DirrrtyDirk

Errr... no. One-way signs should never be placed on runways, but on the taxiways that lead to and from the runways - and he actually did that already.

And I see both of the landing and the takeoff runway (as wernieman said: a third one is usually useless) blocked by a plane on the screenshot but 1 (just becoming 2) free stops. So the reason for the circling is more likely the other planes on the runways.

However, 2-3 more stops would indeed be a good thing - but I fear it won't solve very much of the problem.

Stubbsy

What about splitting it into two? Like another Terminal of sorts, So you have some planes going one side and some the other side, but setting them to go either side, depending on what it does or something like that?

jbode

I split the airports by one way signs ... and use lines to access different parts of the airport. It easily works with 2..3 runways for landing and one runway for starting planes ;)

Jörg

DavidS42

Hmm, using multiple lines sounds like a good idea. I presume the passengers will split up between two lines to the same destination?

Here's what I did until now: I shortened the landing strip so the planes land faster and lengthened the starting strip so they're flying farther apart. That has reduced landing congestion greatly. Of course it doesn't increase the throughput.

Regards, DavidS

VS

You might try separating the airport into two unconnected parts.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Stubbsy

statto

I've found the "staggered unconnected airport" to work rather well when you are dealing with many planes at one airport.

Planes coming from the north all are scheduled out of the western stops, land on the north runway and take off from the south runway; all planes coming from the south are scheduled out of the eastern stops, land on the south runway and take off from the north runway.

VS

Oftopic: pressing "v" changes display mode - dots, color tint, and hidden :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

DirrrtyDirk

@off-topic:

Actually "v" only toggles on/off while dots/tint can be selected in the display options.  ;)

statto

Color42

I use this airport layout in diffrent variations when it comes to the runway, and I have seldom trouble with overcrowding by planes that need to come down for landing.
Two runs ways are for take offs only and two are for landing only and the airport has taxi way arrows so that the planes move around the main building in the same direction allways counter clock wise.

Never Stand Down