News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Click'n'drag for raise/lower land tools

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, July 05, 2010, 05:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Ideally all of the tools, because there are plenty of times I need to apply them to a long strip of tiles...

Even better: allow x+y dragging (box dragging) where applicable (in this case, the tools this would be useful for would be up, down, and raise/lower entire tile tools, and the 'delete' (or 'revert') tool, to allow quick undoing of entire sections of terrain....

Bulldozer could use click'n'drag as well - again, x+y would be awesome...

prissi

The bulldozer/raise/lower tool works like that since several versions ...

Lord Vetinari

Quote from: prissi on July 05, 2010, 11:18:20 AM

I think that Isaac ment a selection-like movement. I.e. click, drag and the entire rectangle defined by that movement gets terraformed. Last version I tried was r3453 and terraforming didn't work that way.

I support this, I too like to edit my map extensively before starting to play.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: prissi on July 05, 2010, 11:18:20 AM

Er?

I'm using 3481. When I start a game, click the bulldozer icon, click and hold the mouse and move the mouse with the left-button held down, nothing happens until I release the button, in which case it bulldozes the last tile I was over.

What I'm suggesting to happen would be like click-dragging a road, which allows you to build an entire line of road tiles - click first tile, drag to last tile, release; road is built. Bulldozer would: click first tile, more to last tile, release, and the line of tiles would be bulldozed. Are you saying that's supposed to happen? Can it be pak-dependent if so?

But I was also saying, even better would be to allow not only a line, but a box: unlike roads, which should be lines; bulldozing should allow a box of removal...

The up/down tools are very helpful as they are - dragging basically serves as a "level" function for the height; but still, it would be easier to use if you could click-drag like road - it's easy for the mouse to slip and to end up with expensive terrain modifications that are unwanted. :-) (i.e. the tool now operates live when you drag the mouse around; unlike dragging a road, where a preview is shown. It may be impractical to show a preview, but the idea would be to perhaps somehow highlight the tiles that are selected to be transformed by the tool, then do the transform when the mouse is released)

:shrug: As always, I make no demands or anything; just when I think I may not have expressed myself clearly, I want to make sure my idea is understood. If denied after that, that's okay. :-)

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on July 05, 2010, 04:01:44 PM
What I'm suggesting to happen would be like click-dragging a road, which allows you to build an entire line of road tiles - click first tile, drag to last tile, release; road is built. Bulldozer would: click first tile, more to last tile, release, and the line of tiles would be bulldozed. Are you saying that's supposed to happen? Can it be pak-dependent if so?

What you describe there is indeed already in the game - and has been for quite a while now. But you mustn't use the general bulldozer tool, but the one in the submenu for the waytype you want to erase (way dependant).

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Thank you - I'm very aware of those tools, but I'm specifically talking about the general bulldozer tool.

Those way-specific tools don't help with:

- rivers/streams

- houses

- trees

DirrrtyDirk

Ok, the normal tool does not work this way, as far as I know.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

It does not. Hence this request. :)

Also, remembered another reason: Each of the special tools you have to click to select. Bulldozer is 'r'. I really really like using keyboard for quickness :)

gauthier

I support these ideas ;)

Also stations building by click'n drag with x+y would be cool ;)

DirrrtyDirk

Well, you can customize the keys if that's all  ;D

Isaac Eiland-Hall

DirrrtyDirk

Isaac Eiland-Hall

You're too quick for me. ;-) I was about to come back and clarify my post - that it wasn't intended to sound mean; just that I wanted to clarify for the sake of those that might be interested in coding this... hehe

Apologies if I sounded short with you. :)

DirrrtyDirk

Nah, no problem - we "know" each other long enough by now. Don't worry, I didn't get anything wrong here.  :)