News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Server instability (late July / August 2010)

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, August 01, 2010, 02:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

For a couple of days, have had stability problems on my primary server. Not sure of the cause yet.

At this time, if the server becomes unresponsive, it should be rebooted more quickly.

(Long story short, I got a new job; I was away during the day Thur/Fri and unable to monitor the server; now that I'm employed, I was able to sign up for my server management help, which will monitor and reboot the server when needed, and is helping me try and track down the cause of the current problems)

Summary: Bad problems a couple of days ago, but the server should be offline only shortly when problems; and hopefully completely fixed very soon.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

:D It will certainly make life a bit better. :D

EDIT: Please note, my tech is looking at the server right now - instability has returned today.

vilvoh

I'd noticed it but I though it was my internet conection...

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Isaac Eiland-Hall

It does continue, and I'm working with my datacenter trying to solve. :-(

Spike

Seemed better though, during the past few days. I mean, I see improvement.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Good news and bad news: I've determined what was causing the problems. The server (more specifically, the [ simutrans [dot] us (site down, do not visit) ] account, which is the master account for the forum and simutrans.com) has been hacked.

Hackers have been dropping php files that they have been using to DOS other sites (I have no way of knowing who, doens't matter). That's why the server appears to go down when they do this: It uses up every bit of OUR resources when they attack someone else.

No thanks to my server management company for not finding this.

But still, working on closing the hole.

It may come from SMF, so I will work on backing up the forum and upgrading it. But that may not be the source, especially since the files are not found in the SMF locations, but in the root account....

We'll see.

vilvoh

If we can help you with something, count on us for the forensic tasks. We're not CSI but you know... ;D

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Thanks. :D

Well, I'll let the server guys play with it first, since I already have the ticket open. If they don't come up with anything, it'll be up to us anyway. hehe