News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Animated stop graphics test

Started by Zeno, August 20, 2010, 10:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno

I've just made this animated graphic for a stop, to test how the moving graphics look like inside the game. It's a big steel crane over an empty loading platform. You can download it here, and beware when using it, as I used the empty platform icon, you will see two empty platform icons in the menu: just wait for the tooltip to appear and select the one with name SteelCraneStation.

Please I would like to know your opinion guys, not for this station graphic but for generic animated graphics in stations/stops (I thought mostly in goods stops). Would you find them cool? Would you find them tiring because of gfx looping? Do you have other thoughts on it?

Personally, I find them both cool but tiring after a while...
I wonder -writing as I'm thinking- what would it look like having one animated tile in all goods stations. Maybe it could be better if the animation could be configured -example run 1 cycle and sleep 5 or 10- so it's not repeating all the time.

I'm looking forward reading about your impressions on this! :)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I haven't downloaded it yet, but it already sparks an extension request: an option for "animate only while loading/unloading" - or rather, *start* an animation sequence if there's a loading/unloading event at that platform; at the end of the sequence, check to see if unloading/loading still ongoing, and loop again if so.

Hopefully, this would:
- loop animation while loading or unloading
- for convois waiting for more goods/mail/pass, only spark the animation when actual loading happens. :)

So I'll come back and download and test this in a bit, but it already sounds awesome. :D

rfg123

I love this station and I love the idea!  :)

It adds life to otherwise boring station platforms, a definite plus in my book. Personally I find monotonous stops without any visible activity to be more tiring than seeing the crane move back and forth, would be great with a container yard adjacent to it. ;D

I also like Issac's idea of having the animation activate when a train is stopped at the platform..

prissi

Adding an animation only when the loading state of a stop changes (although inclusing passengers and mail) is not very difficult.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

How about this possibility - I'm thinking of bus stops:

1. Empty station gets the standard graphic
2. 1/4 full, 1/2 full, 3/4 full, and 100% full (or "overcrowded") gets their own images

You could totally paint passengers waiting for a bus... or freight waiting for pickup

Zeno

Quote from: prissi on August 21, 2010, 08:51:23 PM
Adding an animation only when the loading state of a stop changes (although inclusing passengers and mail) is not very difficult.
That would be very interesting, and would help avoiding monotony in animations

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on August 21, 2010, 10:09:20 PM
You could totally paint passengers waiting for a bus... or freight waiting for pickup
That's a ttd feature which I always liked ;D

stmaker

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on August 21, 2010, 10:09:20 PM
How about this possibility - I'm thinking of bus stops:

1. Empty station gets the standard graphic
2. 1/4 full, 1/2 full, 3/4 full, and 100% full (or "overcrowded") gets their own images

Yeah, we could.
Version using: Simutrans v111.0
Paks: pak64, pak96.comic, pak128 openr582, pak128.Britain, pak128.Japan, pak192.comic
Using: Paint.NET, Paint, Photoshop, SketchUp
Future Addon(s): Building (Link)
Current Addon(s): Eye-See Mart and Several Building addons  Ask me any questions. I'm free.

vilvoh

Quote from: prissi on August 21, 2010, 08:51:23 PM

Maybe you could use the same system as vehicles, with empty and freight images.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Václav

Today I have tried to download it ... but no file.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

sgtsammac

Yes same i tried and google chrome just says "Oops! This link appears to be broken."

Václav

You are late, SgtSammac. Because I wrote it two months ago. And when it was not there at time of my message, then your one is a bit useless. But don't be angry with me for these words.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní