News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

How to install Simutrans?

Started by greasemonkeyredneck, August 05, 2008, 02:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greasemonkeyredneck

I couldn't find a way to post this elsewhere, so I hope I can get some help here. I wish to download and play the newest version of Simutrans. I'm currently playing a very old version and, while I simply love this game, wish to upgrade. I downloaded the newest version from the download section. I unzipped the files into a common folder just as I did for the older version. When I start, or TRY to start, the game, I get a black screen telling me I have multiple paks to choose from and to add something to the config.tag file. Could someone please, please give me detailed instructions on how to get the latest simutrans and how to install it so I can play it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

wernieman

Do you have download a PAK-file?

Did you install the game in a new folder?
I hope you understand my English

greasemonkeyredneck

I went to the download page on this site. I downloaded the "windows native file" and the pak64 basics file". I then unzipped them both into a new folder and tried opening the game. As I posted before, it acts like it's trying to load, then I get text saying I have multiple paks, I must choose one to play, and to add something to the config tab file, which I can't figure out. I have presently deleted everything except me older version of simutrans. I will await detailed instructions, if I can get them, before I try the new verison again.

Combuijs

QuoteI then unzipped them both into a new folder

In that new folder there should be a simutrans.exe file and amongst others a pak directory. That pak directory should contain all pak 64 files. Is (was) that the case with you?
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

greasemonkeyredneck

I will try to download it again and update you on that ASAP. Thanks for trying to help. I simply love this game. I've been playing it for several years now. Ironically though, I only found out very recently how much help, communities and updated versions there were on the internet. I'd like to get this new version up and running on my computer and possibly find some way I can contribute some kind of help to this project in the near future.

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: greasemonkeyredneck on August 05, 2008, 05:44:07 PM
Ironically though, I only found out very recently how much help, communities and updated versions there were on the internet.

Better late than never! ;)

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

greasemonkeyredneck

OK! I downloaded "windows native" file and "Pak64 basis" file. Then I unzipped them into a new folder. Then I try to open the game using the simutrans application file. It begins to start just like my older version. Then I get a text stating as follows:

You have multiple pak set to choose from.
Choose one graphics set to for playing:
To avoid seeing this dialogue define a path by:
-adding 'pak_file_path=path/' to your simuconfig.tab
-using '-objects pakxyz/' on the command line.

Thanks again for any help you can give me. In the meantime I will keep trying to figure out myself what I may have done wrong. I don't know if I'm missing a file or if I'm unzipping them incorrectly.

greasemonkeyredneck

:) :D ;D
I GOT IT WORKING!!!!!!

Here's what I done wrong in case anyone ever has this problem in the future.

I started a new folder in my programs. I then unzipped both the pak64 and the windows executable into that folder. This didn't work because the pak files were in a different folder inside the new folder I created. I copied the pak files and pasted them into the other folder with the simutrans.exe in it. This solved the problem and now the game runs great.

Next I want to try adding the waste and food industries.

Thanks again for the help everyone tried to give. You'll never know how much I appreciate it.

greasemonkeyredneck

I have now downloaded the food service add on pak and got it to working.

Note: If using Windows Vista like me, you can't simply unzip the downloaded file into the same folder as the simutrans execuatable as with the other pak file. If you do, Windows will overwrite the existing pak files and food type industries will be all you have in the game. Renaming the pak folder causes the game to crash. You have to copy all the individual foo related pak files and paste them in the games pak folder. Doing so works perfectly.

I'm not sure if this is the case on other systems. I just thought it was something someone else may want to be aware of.

Ormac

I tested on a Vista Machine and the windows zipped folders worked as expected adding the food pak files to the pak 64 folder. without overwriting the existing content of the directory

(It also works this way in XP using zipped folders)

Ormac 8)

Simutrans Reference Material Blog SRM very wet ink
Download Simutrans Reference Material from http://docs.simutrans.com

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: greasemonkeyredneck on August 05, 2008, 06:16:27 PM
This didn't work because the pak files were in a different folder inside the new folder I created.

Could you give us details on how the folder structure was? You are having an unusual problem - as in, I don't believe we've had reports like this before; but there are always folks who have troubles getting it to work, and perhaps by finding out what folders were created for you (that are different for me - I'm on Vista too), we can figure out why it was different for you... and if not actually prevent problems for others, at least write up something for the FAQ...

So, for instance, if I have a PAK zip file and an EXE zip file in the same directory, like c:\simutrans\100.0, then extract both of those archives using IZARC, WINZIP, or WINRAR (tested all three with previous versions of Simutrans), then I find files correct distributed; for example, simutrans.exe will exist at c:\simutrans\100.0\simutrans\ and the pak64 folder will be c:\simutrans\100.0\simutrans\pak. Further, if I download pak128, for example, and extract it from the c:\simutrans\100.0\ folder, the contents should go to c:\simutrans\100.0\simutrans\pak128 (although there will be some files that overwrite some existing files)...

So I hope you can tell me how that process was different for you. :)

greasemonkeyredneck

Under my programs tab I have a folder I use to download games into and test out before I tag shortcuts to my start menu. Inside this folder I created a new folder and named it Simutrans. Then I downloaded the zip files to computer/C:/Program Files/Downloaded Games.
Then I unzip all files to computer/C:/Program Files/Downloaded Games/simutrans. With the intitial game, this left me with two folders inside the simutrans folder, one with the executable files and one with the pak files. I had to move the pak files to the folder with the exe. files for the game to run.

Then I downloaded the food service pak files. I unzipped them into computer/C:/Program Files/Downloaded Games/simutrans. The computer said there was already a file there named pak. So I clicked yes to merge the folders. Somehow, when it merged them, it overwrited the regular pack file and left only the food service pak file. I don't know how. It could be that I didn't use any of the programs you suggested in your post. I just used right click, extract all. So I guess that's what ever extracting program comes with Windows.

I apologize if I'm not much help. I'm kind of computer illiterate. I'm learning though and was just trying to be of some assistance to anyone who might have a similar problem.

Kristian

Your simutrans folder should look roughly like this (note that I play with different pak sets, and on linux):

1) The executable (simutrans) is in the top folder, not in some lower level folder.
2) One or more pak sets in subfolders. I play with 'pakcontrast'. Yours is probably simply named 'pak'.

I suggest that you try to reextract just the executable and pak 64 to a new game folder (e.g. C:/Program Files/Downloaded Games/simutrans2/), so that the executable sits in that folder, and 'pak' is a subfolder of simutrans2.

prissi

The behaviour might be due to VISTA access control, which hides folder in Program Files. A very strong advice: On vista, do nothing in the program folder. FIles will vanish under different names, and so on. Unzipping into anyplace elso or the top of the program folder mostly works.

Frank

The simutrans_[Version]_win.exe files from german wiki install simutrans completely.

Version 0.100.0
Version 0.99.17.1
Version 0.99.17
Version 0.99.16

Tested under the German Win XP/2000. Windows Vista should all languages.

English Win XP/2000 untested.

Other languages not supported because the target folder is not known.
see german Forum

ramon23035

???
No way to install this game..and play.downloaded the executable rar file inside there is a folder called simutrans I've dragged it on my desktop then got the pak rar file named pak 64 and i've replaced the subfolders my folder with these ones and copied all the pak files inside to my desktop folder..nothing.somebody out there have time to help me?
Thanks a lot
Ramon 23035

Kristian

Have you tried the installer mentioned in the previous post? Which operating system are you running, and in which language?

ramon23035

it's a win xp professional sistem in italian language
folder simutrain
subfolder pak
problem:no way that the game can read the **** pak config

prissi

folder simutrans/ must contain:
simutrans.exe
config/
text/
font/
music/
These come from simuwin-xxx.zip
pak/
and/or
pak128/
These come from the paks.

va

Hi I would like to install Simultran in my laptop and unable to locate the Simultran installer.Please tell me the location of the installer.

sojo

"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

Frank

for win 2000/XP ( de, en, nl ) or win vista ( all language ) see to bottom of this site

greasemonkeyredneck

Use IgorTekton visual to be sure that everything is in the original folder that's supposed to be there. You said in your original post that you "dragged" the simutrans folder from inside to your desktop. If you did as you said and simply dragged it, then looking in your original folder will reveal that simutrans.exe is no longer there. First, make sure everything is on the simutrans folder like it should be. Then open simutrans exe and make sure it is playable from there. If it is and you want a desktop icon, right click the exe, and click on "send shortcut to desktop". Your operating system may be worded a little different, but similar.