News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Installing new paks in Ubuntu

Started by Venkat, August 26, 2010, 03:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Venkat

Hello Everyone,

These are the steps that you must take to install new Simutrans paks in Ubuntu.

1. Download the required pak.
2. Extract it to any location where you can find it. The zip file extracts to create a folder called "Simutrans" inside which you will find your <pak> folder.
   for example:
            Simutrans
                  >> pak128
3. Move or copy the <pak> folder to /usr/share/games/simutrans folder.
4. Use the command "sudo chmod 755 <pak>" to provide the correct permission to the <pak> folder.
5. Use the "cd <pak>" command to navigate into the <pak> folder.
6. Use the command "sudo chmod 755 <folder1> <folder2> <folder3>..." to change permissions for all the sub-folders under the <pak> folder.

You should now be able to use your newly installed pak.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
Venkat.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Well, first of all, this is not a Help Request, so I'll move it.

Second of all, did you feel taht there was information missing from the wiki? http://simutrans-germany.com/wiki/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=en_Addons

Please don't take these as accusations: I'm asking for feedback so we know how to improve. :)

Thank you for taking the time to write up helpful information. Of course, I'd love to redirect that desire to helping the wiki. :)

Venkat

Hello Isaac,

Well, I did not think about the Germany forum. I just wanted these instructions available at the forum so that people would find it useful. I would be glad to help out on the wiki pages.

Regards,
Venkat.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

That's not from the German forum - that's from the Simutrans wiki.

To be more specific: I looked on the Simutrans wiki and found a link to the page on the German wiki (which is, if I understand correctly, being set up to become the new global Simutrans wiki).

Information about how to do things is typically desirable to have on the wiki, because wikis are more like references/encyclopedia/etc - the forum is more for discussion. These are the theories, at least - although the wikis get edited a lot less than forums have information; but it is always a constant problem to try and get information from the forum to the wiki...

If you truly wouldn't mind helping with the wiki: I know there is always a need for more help. :-)

Again, thank you for putting together helpful information - I do want to emphasize that. :-)