News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

No truck for bulk-goods trailer after 2005

Started by jatypc, October 10, 2008, 08:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jatypc

Hi,

I am not sure whether this is considered a bug, but anyway: there are many good-transporting vehicles consisting of two parts - the track, which does not carry any goods (e.g., Teddy's Mack Truck), and a trailer, which carries the load of goods.

Now, there is a trailer for bulk cargo (TS Bulk Cargo Trailer) available from 1976 on, but after year 2005 when "PMNV International Cabover" becomes obsolete, there is no other truck to pull it. It is a pity since this is the only trailer for bulk goods after year 2000 and there is no truck for it. For all other trailers, there is a truck to pull it.

Is there an easy way to fix this? Thank you.

--

On a side note, the Scania R500 and R620 Topline are not alligned well in some directions with the trailers - the pictures of the truck and trailer overlap to a large extent. Maybe it is possible the offset from Teddy's Mack Truck, which is graphically aligned well with most of the trailers? Again, I do not know whether it is an easy fix or not (= requires re-painting something).

wernieman

Do you use the offizial PAK128 ore the nightlys?
I hope you understand my English

jatypc

I am sorry I have forgot to mention this - I use nightlys (168 at the moment).

wernieman

At the Moment I have no PAK128 installed, so I can not look, but ...

The other Trailer ... wich Truck they use?

jatypc

The other trailers use either Teddy's Mack Truck (available from 2005) or Scania R500 and R620 trucks (available from year 2000).

wernieman

Every Trailer without a retire-date use at now the scania Trukcs (in the next nightly)

A OT question ...
Do you like to balance the Trucks ..... ;o)

jatypc

Thank you.

How can I balance the trucks? What needs to be done?

VS

Hm, simple. (not really)

There are some fixed numbers that determine income, revenue and so on. Such as running costs, price of goods, speed bonus... The problem is, this vast dynamic system has to be tuned to some state in which it has to be usable prom player perspective. Currently it is not, which means in some eras you can make money easily and in some absolutely not. Another result is that some vehicles are not economically attractive and become only ui clutter in depot.

So what we need is something that:
a) takes the current state (import)
b) finds a new state which is suitable (analysis)
c) and that also has smallest distance from the original
d) finally able to save the resulting data in easily usable form

This something should have some form that is easy to use and possibly multiplatform. Originally this was an excel spreadsheet with macros. Then it stopped working because some formula changed - and now nobody knows what exactly it does.

So requirement #1 is of course documentation

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jatypc

> in some eras you can make money easily and in some absolutely not.
> some vehicles are not economically attractive and become only ui clutter in depot.

Well, I know that from my own experience. I am not home in the coming week, but after that I can do following: if you send me that Excel file, I can have a look how it is done now and start to think about what could be done. Of course there is some non-zero probability of failure, but I am playing simutrans a lot and I would like to give it a try - that is, to address (b) and (c). As far as the easily usable form (d) is concerned, multiplatform should not be a big issue, but I have no idea what is usable - where and how the values are employed within the pak files. There I would need some help.

Thus, if you send me the files, I can think about it and report the first (fruitful) thoughts in about two weeks. Questions can clearly arise much faster - for example, why the new state should not be too far from the current scheme. Are there some fundamental ideas behind the current price structure in pak128 one should know about and respect them? Each pak has a different approach to the costs-benefits (e.g., flat vs. highly varied transportation costs for various goods etc.).

DirrrtyDirk

I have also begun creating a new (simpler) Excel sheet. I don't know yet if it will work well (or at all). After all, there's a lot of factors to consider...

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

jatypc

Do you need or want any help with it?

--

SORRY: now I have noticed the new topic about this...

--

ADD: i also confirm the original problem is fixed now