News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

skipping stops

Started by gforce, September 10, 2010, 06:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gforce

would it be possible to make vehicles skips certain stops.
stops to skip
*if at a stop has no people waiting and nobody in the vehicle is going to that stop.
*if the vehicle is full and nobody in the vehicle is going to that stop.
exceptions
*a minimum load is set
*the vehicle would have to pass a choose_signal to get there

I would use a button in the line menu/ schedule: skip stops

prissi

My bus driver sticks to the route, even if there is almost never somebody on some of the detours he does. But he cannot read the mind of the people; same for simutrans: The bus drucker or truck driver simply does not know, that there is nothing to load until he actually arrives there.

gforce

I meant that he still passes past the stop but like in real life if noby has to get and nobody is waiting, or is The bus is full he just doen't stop. Which would save some time, which i think is usefull on the more busy roads

gauthier

Quoteif noby has to get and nobody is waiting, or is The bus is full he just doen't stop

:o I'm happy not to take buses which such drivers  ;D

jaamak

Supported! Drivers indeed just pass stops, if no passenger bought a ticket to the particular destination or there aren't any passengers waiting at the stop AND the bus isn't ahead of its schedule. This of course only happens on routes with destination specific tickets, not on urban fixed cost routes.

gforce

On the busses I take you have to ring the bell if you want to get off at the next stop. 

prissi

How does a bus driver know, that there will be no one waiting at a bus stop when he is not passing said stop?

gforce

But the point is that the bus still passes the stop but the driver just look if there is anybody waiting, when nobody is waiting he just keeps driving. This would also make the busses group to gether a lot less because the full bus keeps driving and the busses that aren't full have to stop.

It could also work for trams (?and metro?)

jamespetts

This is realistic behaviour for 'bus drivers (provided that they maintain the same exact route, but simply keep going past the stops) and sometimes for trams, but not for trains. Very occasionally, there are "request stops" for trains in very rural locations, where passengers have to use a special telephone from the station to call the signal box to ask the train to stop (or the train goes past the station so slowly that it can stop if anyone is standing on the platform), but this is extremely rare and probably not worth simulating.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

isidoro

In the place where I live now, the default behavior for buses is not to stop if there is nobody waiting at the bus stop.  One has to push a button or tell the driver that he wants to stop.  Even if there are people waiting for the bus, the rear doors (the ones used to get off the bus) are not opened unless someone has asked the bus to stop.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: isidoro on September 11, 2010, 12:01:08 AM
In the place where I live now, the default behavior for buses is not to stop if there is nobody waiting at the bus stop.  One has to push a button or tell the driver that he wants to stop.  Even if there are people waiting for the bus, the rear doors (the ones used to get off the bus) are not opened unless someone has asked the bus to stop.

In Brazil, the buses stop at the bus stop only if:

- someone in the bus requests a stop by pushing a "STOP" button or pulling a "chord".
- someone at the stop raises the arm, like calling the taxi.

Otherwise, the bus doesn't stop and goes ahead.

ӔO

in toronto, both buses and streetcars don't stop unless there is a passenger waiting at the stop or a passenger requests a stop.

Actually, I've only seen buses in japan stop even if there was no one getting on or off so it could keep its time table. Japan is pretty strict at keeping its time table.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I think it's a problem with scale in Simutrans, though.

A typical real-world bus might have maybe 15-35+ stops on its route, but in Simutrans, probably 3-10+.

At Simutrans scale, really, bus stops in cities are almost more like transfer hubs than individual stops...
Quote from: AEO on September 11, 2010, 04:14:32 AM
Actually, I've only seen buses in japan stop even if there was no one getting on or off so it could keep its time table. Japan is pretty strict at keeping its time table.

This happens in Dallas, Texas, US sometimes if a bus gets ahead of schedule - they'll wait at some stop so they don't get too far ahead.

skreyola

I think the idea is worth serious consideration. There's interest, and there's real-world precedent. And those who don't think it matches the model don't have to use it... it would be an option, right?
I agree that the bus should stil pass the stop; it just doesn' thave to actually stop there.
:support:
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

gforce

Indead it would be an option which you can set for each induvidial line

VS

If the bus must pass through the stop tile, how much do you gain from not stopping?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

KrazyJay

A bus that doesn't stop doesn't cause delay to vehicles behind the bus. But mostly the advantage would be optical, resulting in an advantage of knowing quite quickly whether a stop is being used frequently or not.
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

gforce

Quote from: VS on September 11, 2010, 05:39:51 PM
If the bus must pass through the stop tile, how much do you gain from not stopping?
v
This also keeps the busses from "hooking up"

ӔO

I think this would be more useful in experimental, as it keeps the average speed of the bus higher.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

skreyola

As in real life, stopping and accelerating from stopped add more to your trip time than increasing your speed 5-10MPH can gain.
Not stopping at a stop eliminates that deceleration and acceleration time, which increases your average speed, which makes the bus run the line faster. Running the line faster increases running costs, but it also means you can move more passengers per time unit, which increases revenues if you have enough passengers.
Over time, the gain can be significant.
--Skreyola

VS

Quote from: skreyola on September 13, 2010, 07:15:58 PM
Not stopping (...) you can move more passengers per time unit
That's an oxymoron :P How do you move more if nobody gets on? Also, the vehicle still does have to stop for even a single unit of cargo exchanged. To me this sounds like absolute corner case, where you'd be far better off replacing the vehicles or route (since you are close to losing money).

It would sure look nice though... ;)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

gforce

Quote from: VS on September 13, 2010, 08:58:04 PM
That's an oxymoron :P How do you move more if nobody gets on? Also, the vehicle still does have to stop for even a single unit of cargo exchanged. To me this sounds like absolute corner case, where you'd be far better off replacing the vehicles or route (since you are close to losing money).

It would also work with full busses, cause if you can't take anybody with you its also stupid to stop

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: gforce on September 14, 2010, 05:04:01 AM
It would also work with full busses, cause if you can't take anybody with you its also stupid to stop

For full busses, people might want to get off...

gforce

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on September 14, 2010, 07:43:01 AM
For full busses, people might want to get off...
Yeah, but then, al least over here in Belgium, you press the button stop.

skreyola

Quote from: VS on September 13, 2010, 08:58:04 PM

You can move more pax from other stops if you aren't spending time stopping at this one with almost no traffic.
--Skreyola

rsdworker

on trains - if the station is request stop - usually guard tells driver and makes sure driver can stop at station but only at unstaffed stations which trains usually don't call often they put request stop on timetables - on trams - england and holland - they usually put stop button (sheffield tram) and blackpool tram and others but manchester trams are not fitted with stop buttons - they stop each stop its like metro - which simllar to lijn 51 in holland in asterdam they share with trams