News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

some near future vehicles

Started by ӔO, September 12, 2010, 10:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ӔO

In the works, some conceptual and test designs you might see at auto shows.

Maybe 2 to 3 variations of each vehicle.

so far, basic layouts for aerodynamic bus, aerodynamic triple semi-truck + trailer and aerodynamic turnpike double semi-trucks are done. These will be refined from their current blocky incarnations to something less blocky.

other vehicles planned are tadpole trike, motorbike + sidecar + trailer, scooter, road train triple semi-truck + trailers and non-articulating medium aerodynamic truck.
And possibly an oversized/overweight truck with safety vehicle as a private vehicle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

incomplete sketchup 3D and dat file source.
Does not contain pak or image files.
http://hotfile.com/dl/73571269/9bf20fc/Road_trains.rar.html

will be replaced with a more complete file when I have time to work on it.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Freewayman

Looks great! we do need these stuff.
When will this be released?

arnoud

great!

You make what I've always wanted: a road train

ӔO

actually, there is a road train on the japanese wiki website, but it's not scaled to what pak128 uses, so it looks slightly small in comparison.

some further construction.

The one on the top, the longest one, is a road train. 3 tiles long
second from the top is a turnpike triple. 2 tiles long
second from the bottom is a B-double. 2 tiles long
bottom is what's found quite commonly, but with fully aerodynamic trailer. 1 tile long

The double and triples are fitted with an aerodynamic tail piece.
the truck itself is not finalized yet, but it'll be pretty close to this shape. Still brainstorming.

Bus looked like a shark or whale, so it will be based closer to those when I get around to it.

Colour safe chart:

Freewayman

And the Japanese road train is not balanced either. It carries more goods and goes faster than freight trains

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'm definitely looking forward to these. I adore road trains. And yeah, having some with more realistic speeds would be great. :)

Václav

Road trains are welcomed ... but they need stations. I know that they can stop at bus station - if it has cargo extension building for releasing availability of loading/unloading of cargo - but it does not look well then.

... and please, set constraints ...

Inside archive forum are available some road trains - from some Portuguese add-ons, I think. Missing constraints cause that truck can pull not only its trailers - it can seem be good - but graphics of that truck and its trailers is too much different - and so in result it does not look well when truck pull else trailers than its.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Drive-through truck stops exist for some pak sizes already.

Václav

I know - also for pak128 - for example by Nemo (from Czech language board). But (if I know) they are only two-dimensioned (one tile in both basic directions) - they are not like currently present bus-stops. I hope it is explained sufficiently clear.

ӔO

no worries on the constraints, these will be setup so that there are two trucks and two configuration options each for trailers that the trucks can pull.

current plan is to set the truck to 130km/h, but depending on number of trailers, constrain speed from 90km/h to 120km/h.

to keep things in a sane range, I figure the convoys should get something roughly like:

for piece goods, cooled goods and mail.
Road train will be 90km/h, but 25% cheaper to operate than 3 convoys.
turnpike triple will be 100km/h, but 15% cheaper to operate than 2 convoys.
B-double will be 120km/h, but 5% cheaper to operate than 2 convoys.
aerodynamic will be 112km/h, but 10% cheaper than a single convoy.

then hopefully someone will make some lovely truck stops.

----------------------------

details added to truck.

----------------------------

the question is, how good it will look when shrunken down.

Colour safe chart:

ӔO

lots of progress.

still need to add some details to the trailer. particularly a compressor for the cooled goods version.
I should probably add some extra lights to the trucks.

does anyone have a colour scheme suggestion?

Colour safe chart:

Bigtop

Nice details! I'm not sure about which colors I should introduce you...

Zeno

Freewayman

I think you should give the vehicles a streamlined livery and use player colors

ӔO

stream lined livery, like wavy lines and arrows?
some words along the trailer like "Post" or a mail envelope logo for the mail trailers perhaps?

right now, I'm looking at blue center, orange-yellow sides and white highlights as a scheme for the 3 axle truck. no colour decision yet, but stripes for the two axle truck.

player colours are a bit hard to do with renders, but I'll see if I can get them in there.

They're basically done right now. I don't think they are missing anything other than reflective white/red tape along the sides of the trailer. Not that tape would be visible in pak128 size.

Colour safe chart:

Freewayman

I like it
We've been needing this for a long time
Good job

ӔO

I tried out some colour schemes and textures. Does anyone have any objection to the colours used?

The single to the right, I haven't decided on which scheme to use for cooled goods. Either the deep blue or frosty. Piece goods will use the green.

Mail will get: single, Short triple, double.
Mail trailers will get the POST, MAIL or envelope logo.

Piece goods and cooled goods will use: single, double and long triple.
Piece goods trailers will get the white on player colour blue scheme.
Cooled goods trailers will get the player colour blue stripe on white scheme.

I will also make it so that it's possible to setup a rocky mountain double, which is a long + short trailer double.

Colour safe chart:

Freewayman

looks so awesome!
cant wait till it's released

DirrrtyDirk

For the Mail, I'd suggest the envelope - that's the most international since it's language-independent.

In full resolution these renders look nice... but remember: in pak128 size, and with Simutrans' reduced color palette, many of the finer details will be lost.

From the 3 textures on the singles on the right, none of the structures will remain. No leaf structure in the green, no ice effect on the light blue and no bubbles in the dark blue. All you will probably see is just some solid wall of green*, a "dirty" light blue and a darker blue*.

*) and as such, the green and dark blue seem a little... (err what's the correct translation? ... oh well, choose one from the list the dictionary brought up ;): bright/dazzling/flamboyant/flashy/garish/gaudy/glaring/screaming) in relation to the other things in the pakset.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

ӔO

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on September 22, 2010, 12:11:49 PM
For the Mail, I'd suggest the envelope - that's the most international since it's language-independent.

In full resolution these renders look nice... but remember: in pak128 size, and with Simutrans' reduced color palette, many of the finer details will be lost.

From the 3 textures on the singles on the right, none of the structures will remain. No leaf structure in the green, no ice effect on the light blue and no bubbles in the dark blue. All you will probably see is just some solid wall of green*, a "dirty" light blue and a darker blue*.

*) and as such, the green and dark blue seem a little... (err what's the correct translation? ... oh well, choose one from the list the dictionary brought up ;): bright/dazzling/flamboyant/flashy/garish/gaudy/glaring/screaming) in relation to the other things in the pakset.

I think you're right in that the green and dark blue don't quite fit in with the other trailers and I will pass the textures along to the other vehicles I'm working on.
I'll stick to keeping the colour scheme the same between the trailers.

I don't think it would be bad to have "mail" or "post" on trailers following the first one. The two words are not very far off from other languages that use alphabets and many countries use "country name post" as the national mail carrier. example: poste, posta, posto, Postvaesen, postal,

Colour safe chart:

Zeno

Those renders are very nice. Anyway I would keep an eye to some real size renders, just to not get upset with the final result... unfortunately, you know, in 15 or 16 pixels we won't see those delicious textures :)

ӔO

some refinement.
I threw in some different colour variations to see which would work best.

the smaller picture on the bottom should be a close approximation of in game.
I'll have to double check the scale, but it shouldn't be too far off.

Colour safe chart:

An_dz

They're looking awesome, specially those in the right.

I just think the same as DirrrtyDirk, only the envelope should be on the mail truck, for the same reason, it's more international. You can try having at least an option with the envelope a bit in diagonal and smaller envelopes going out from the big envelope.
I've freely edited your pic to try showing what I'm trying to say

ӔO

Quote from: An_dz on September 23, 2010, 02:11:51 AM
They're looking awesome, specially those in the right.

I just think the same as DirrrtyDirk, only the envelope should be on the mail truck, for the same reason, it's more international. You can try having at least an option with the envelope a bit in diagonal and smaller envelopes going out from the big envelope.
I've freely edited your pic to try showing what I'm trying to say

good idea, I'll use that, albeit slightly upscaled so it would look like envelopes in 128 size.
I take it you like the red over the other colours?

Colour safe chart:

An_dz

Quote from: AEO on September 23, 2010, 02:41:54 AM
I take it you like the red over the other colours?

No, I liked all the colors, I just did the red one cause it's the biggest and i didn't want to do it in all truck, so unnecessary.
Anyway red and orange are color I really love ;D ;D

Václav

Quote from: AEO on September 22, 2010, 08:26:13 PM
I don't think it would be bad to have "mail" or "post" on trailers following the first one. The two words are not very far off from other languages that use alphabets and many countries use "country name post" as the national mail carrier. example: poste, posta, posto, Postvaesen, postal,
I can't know you really wanted to write Posta or not but look on the second or the fourth picture - there it is written in the Czech and in the Slovak language.

Some pictures of post services:

sanna

Quote from: AEO on September 19, 2010, 06:47:01 PM
player colours are a bit hard to do with renders, but I'll see if I can get them in there.
If you still are toying with this idea, the stripes (and the color offset behind the envelope) could be promising candidates....

ӔO

Quote from: sanna on September 23, 2010, 06:18:16 AM
If you still are toying with this idea, the stripes (and the color offset behind the envelope) could be promising candidates....
I don't think the outline for the envelope would turn out well when the envelope goes on an angle. However, I took the stripes idea a bit further and tried painting in the skirts with player colour.

maybe more envelopes?

Colour safe chart:

An_dz

Quote from: AEO on September 24, 2010, 02:25:23 AM
maybe more envelopes?

I think yes, and maybe overlaying some just like my example

ӔO

decided colours and finalized convoy consist.

3 trucks
2-axle, 220kW (yellow), 130km/h
2-axle, 330kW (red), 130km/h
3-axle, 440kW (yellow), 130km/h

Trailer consists, from top to bottom:

Mail (red)
14m + 9m, 100km/h
10m + 14m 112km/h
14m, 112km/h (not shown)
9m + 9m + 9m 100km/h
9m + 9m 100km/h (not shown)
9m, 130km/h (not shown)
13m, 130km/h

Piece goods (yellow)
14m + 14m + 14m, 90km/h
14m + 14m, 90km/h (not shown)
10m + 10m + 14m, 112km/h
10m + 14m, 112km/h (not shown)
14m + 9m, 100km/h
14m, 112km/h
13m, 130km/h
9m, 130km/h

cooled goods (white), will have the same combinations as piece goods.
there will not be 14m triple or double for mail.

Colour safe chart:

sanna

An_dz

Awesome :o :o

None of them use player color right?
I prefer with player color, maybe it's just me? Anyone share it?

Maybe the white truck with the upper line with primary color and the lower line with secondary.
And maybe the yellow ones the yellow color the primary?

ӔO

Quote from: An_dz on September 25, 2010, 08:32:48 PM
Awesome :o :o

None of them use player color right?
I prefer with player color, maybe it's just me? Anyone share it?

Maybe the white truck with the upper line with primary color and the lower line with secondary.
And maybe the yellow ones the yellow color the primary?

the skirts on the red and yellow are player colours.
the blue stripe on the white is also player colour.

the trucks do not have any player colour. It is very complicated to do player colours on curved surfaces.
I'll make one version with the subtle player colour usage, and one similar to what you have described for the trailers.
-----------------
alternative colouring.

Colour safe chart:

An_dz

Let me guess:

The trailers on the right use primary color on whole color and secondary on the middle stripe.
The middle left trailers use whole color in secondary.
The mail trailers use no player color.
The lower trailers they are primary color on whole color and upper stripe is darker player color and lower secondary color.
And all skirts use primary color

I think that the mail can stay red, I liked it, white don't give the cool contrast with the envelopes. And the lower ones I think they should stay white, but with stripes in player colors.

Can't wait to use this trucks!