News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Help me started in experimental

Started by EnternalD, November 08, 2010, 07:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EnternalD

Hello, how it is best to play pak128.britain.Ex with Experimental version in simutrans?
I start in 1920's and found that to force the cities grow is really hard. Best what I did, I managed to build single bus lines  in 2000 people cities, but when I try to run train within four cities connected by low-medium cost (4-5 cents per km , 100 km/h ) line I experienced failure (thought I expected lower number of passengers). Well I tried to invest in goods, but return on investment is really slow (3.9k per year using fleet of fish delivery trucks, fish ship, two coal trains, dozen coal trucks to delivery coal from train station to second coal merchant and few busses). By that point I spent at least 200k of money. I have last hope of grain, but I fear that I may fall in debt. I still have 200k. I found this rate return of investment satisfactory only if you start at least 1850, but then you have even worse efficiency of trains and vehicles.
In sim-standart and pak128britain I hadn't any problems. Still I like experimental features.  :)

inkelyad

Use Clay Pit->Pottery->China Shop industry chain. Usually Clay pit serve 2-3 pottery. And usually only one is near it. Same for pottery/china shop.

And water transport is really cheat-like in pak128.britain.Ex now.

ӔO

The vehicles aren't balanced, but what I would do is build a few industrial lines first.
After you get some money and want to get into passengers, work on connecting the city halls, high density industrial factories and attractions.

mail is highly profitable, but you need a large network of around 30 of the above connected, minimum.

if your passenger networks get larger, you can try and build a long distance express line. The key with the express line is to run it often and ensure the train can maintain a very high average speed. All the express steam engines are profitable, even with very short consists, despite their seemingly high maintenance. You just need to ensure they are fast and uninterrupted. Never set any 'wait for %', as this is broken right now, and causes the average speed to fall.

things that sort of worked for me: keep trains at or under 8 tile lengths long. Don't use subways, instead, use trams. keep a minimum of 20 tile distance between train stations for commuter/branch lines. Keep a minimum of 80 tile distance for express service (maximum speed for at least 80% of the journey). Any stations under 20 tiles, use buses (even if they're at a loss). The express generates enough money to offset some losses on bus lines as long as it's 50% full.

Using Maglev as an express service is absolutely broken, in terms of money, passengers and mail it is able to generate. Currently, on a properly setup network, one Maglev train can generate more than 2,500,000 credits monthly, and usually you can get 2 running on one line.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

EnternalD

Well I tried from time to time some of the strategies. I managed to make the money with fish and potter industries suplied by cars. (trains full load anything other than coal and iron ore is completely broken, because of speed bonus) Well I still have a hard time connecting passengers. Even schools train was not profital (thought sometimes its profit crossed in positive). Buses were working in local traffic quite well. Thought I can develop network in fully fledged train line with interconnected cities.
Is often runs is really a positive factor? I could then try to run some GWR pannier's (in higher numbers), because of low running cost and still comparable speed.
And what length you suggest in normal intertown and possible future express line.
Is there any savegame of simutrans 8,2 and pak128.britain and see how it should be done?

sdog

When starting passenger service it's quite important in pak brit exp to move passengers in cities very fast, else they will time out and incur massive costs.

Bi-directional ring suburban rail lines closely around cities worked very well for me. Then i cut through the centre with one Tram line connecting two opposite stations on the ring. Don't forget to have tram-stops connected to their return stops, else passengers will cycle in the tram line! Try to optimize all lines very thoroughly, you should be close to break even with local commuters alone!

One of those was usually my main rail station. Orthogonal to this line i used bus lines calling at a station on the ring each and the tram line in the middle covering the whole area of the city. This effort is worth from 35k or 40k pop and up. If you start before electric trams, you might want to have the ring for much smaller towns, if you start in the 60's with decent buses you don't need this until much larger cities.

Don't go to post service until you get decent mail vans, using mail wagons on your suburban rail slows down everything to a crawl. Post bicycles or simple mail vans can't handle the extreme amounts of mail you get if you have a half decent network. (note perhaps mail generation should be reduced quite a lot? get's me obscene amounts of money anyways.)