News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Top-down view

Started by acki, September 27, 2010, 07:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acki

i think it'd be great to have a top view/map view option, kindof like the small map/navigation window, but then in the main game window, with all the roads/buildings in it... It'd help getting an overview for large cities. Extra helpful if you coudl then also filter out the different ground transportation types: road, rail, etc...

VS

There are no graphics for 100% of content. I think you can guess what that means... :-(

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

The minimap gets this view and our could zoom in 4 times. But maybe the convois should be in player colors and not yellow.

ӔO

Quote from: prissi on September 28, 2010, 02:07:57 AM
The minimap gets this view and our could zoom in 4 times. But maybe the convois should be in player colors and not yellow.

that would be helpful.
currently, signals placed on roads and tracks are in yellow too, so it can get confusing at times.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

acki

very impressive... any chance this could be part of simutrans in the future...?

Fabio

It would be nice:
1) Minimap getting this view (only one image for res-com-ind-special-factory buildings, only one road, one railway, one vehicle), player colour, etc...
2) you can interact with minimap (opening info windows)

IgorEliezer

I don't know what's easier making it:

- A top-down game view with minimalistic graphics, a graphic per type of element, i.e. black tiles for roads; brown, for railways; gray, for buildings etc...

- A 8x-zoom minimap which you can interact with, selecting and building like in game view (I think it breaks game consistency. The game view is where all the work happens, and the minimap is for navigation).

Fabio

Quote from: IgorEliezer on September 28, 2010, 12:36:42 PM
- A 8x-zoom minimap which you can interact with, selecting and building like in game view (I think it breaks game consistency. The game view is where all the work happens, and the minimap is for navigation).

maybe not building, but selecting (showing dialogs) shouldn't be a problem, IMO

skreyola

It should be possible for the game... or better yet, a tool for creating a subfolder of pak graphics... to extrapolate a dirty top-down view (a diamond, not a square) from the existing ground tile graphics, and vehicles can be made with solid blocks of player color.

I don't know if I would personally use this mode much, but I think it could be cool. There are times when it can be hard to grab the right square in isometric view.

I agree that putting functions in the map is something that should be avoided. I'd prefer a top-down mode in the game window. Maps are for information.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

An_dz

Maybe the graphics can be simple squares, and just clicking at isometric view the game engine rotates to give this "diamond" shape, this save some time from pak maintainers.

Quote from: skreyola on September 28, 2010, 07:44:55 PM
I agree that putting functions in the map is something that should be avoided. I'd prefer a top-down mode in the game window. Maps are for information.
Maybe it can be only for zooms higher than 8x. Or add a new option, that can give much more graphic details. And again the game engine rotate it, I mean create only one pic (not one for north, south...), only one image and the game rotates it.

acki

Well i agree, it doesnt need functions... But what I lack in de current game is a simple overview of roads/tracks/etc... So if the small navigation map could zoom more, to get a top-view as in the image above, that'd be amazing...

skreyola

@An_dz: Sorry if I wasn't clear. The game or the pregame utility would only create one image for each tile type, not one for each rotation.

@acki: Good point. It could just be a zoomed map without additional functions.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

rsdworker

looks nice - its good because sometimes i have problems finding them - either behind trees or etc

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: rsdworker on September 30, 2010, 08:51:28 AM
looks nice - its good because sometimes i have problems finding them - either behind trees or etc

You know that you can minimize trees and buildings or make them transparent already, yes?

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

rsdworker

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on September 30, 2010, 10:02:12 AM
You know that you can minimize trees and buildings or make them transparent already, yes?
i mean - if i used top down - its would make view better