News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Highways - steel transport?

Started by paco_m, October 04, 2010, 09:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paco_m

Well, pak128 comes with this nice blue highway-signs,
that apparently have two functions (min speed 80 km/h or 110 and one-way road).

The first problem is that when the "modern highway signs" are introduced i can't set more signs with min speed 80 :-[
The second point is that there is no steel transport vehicle with the required speed, the only steel truck is this hudge trailer with top speed 75...

Would we possible to change the min speed of the classic highways from 80 to 70 and let this signs available even after introduction of the modern highways?
Is there any way I can do/modify this for myself (without painting signs)?  ;)

thanks  ;D

DirrrtyDirk

Which version of pak128 do you play then?

In recent pak128 versions (release as well as the nightlies), there's a truck-trailer that can carry 35 tons of steel at 100km/h - and before that one is introduced, there is one available for 28 tons which is capable of 90 km/h. So "only one for 75 km/h" is not exactly  true.

Agreed, even these cannot drive on the 110km/h minimum roads created by the new signs, so maybe we should set these signs down to 100 km/h or so - that should allow all types of goods to be transported again. Actually I think these signs were orignally both made for 80 km/h, just with the modern version being lighted at night. Apparently this was later changed to a higher speed, maybe without checking the top speeds for all goods' vehicles... (VS, any idea on how to solve this?)

On the other hand, there still is a minimum 80 sign available throughout timeline (or well from 1950 onwards, to be precise), so if 110km/h is too fast for you, you could always just build these signs with a normal one-way sign instead...

But we'll look into it. Maybe it's not the trailers that are causing the problems but the trucks pulling them (there are quite a few fast enough for the job, but it seems - after a short look - that they might all be introduced later than the modern signs...) Yes, some things there certainly need to be checked...

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Lmallet

If you don't mind using a different set of signs, you can always used Timothy's combined road signs addon:
http://addons.simutrans.com/?pak=128&cat=other&todo=search

It will provide you with different speed limits (if I recall correctly, from 70 to 120).

paco_m

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on October 04, 2010, 11:25:04 PM
In recent pak128 versions (release as well as the nightlies), there's a truck-trailer that can carry 35 tons of steel at 100km/h
Ok, finally I found this truck in the depot...
However the new 110 km/h signs are still too fast and as I started building the highway with the blue 80 signs I would to continue it with them, consider that you also need a significant difference in the vehicles max speed to allow the overtake process and this is the only "real" function of highways beside of eyecandy - I know that I can do it also with one-way and min speed 80 signs ;)

paco_m

Solved  ;D
I also made an additional oneway-symbol to place on the highways before each exit because I don't like this wood of exit-signs in the middle of the highways; in one direction it shows just an arrow indicating the exit and in the other the oneway sign but at the backside of the exit-sign, in other words on the left side of the road.  ;)

PS: Why can't I upload .pak files to the forum?

VS

Can anyone check if this is still so?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

dennosius

Actually I think it's okay to have 110km/h highways reserved for passenger transportation. Trucks usually don't go this fast. I actually don't even want to imagine a steel truck going 110 km/h or even faster.

Btw, are there new buses (coaches) aswell? Because at some point (with an older version) there were only hydrogen buses with 90km/h top speed left.