News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Idea: earth moving

Started by Djeserkheperure, October 13, 2008, 08:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Djeserkheperure

There comes a time when a person needs to have vast amounts of earth moved for the sake of decent transportation network. I wanted to increase the challenge by forcing myself to first clear the area of any trees, lakes and such and then, relocate the earth that was being moved.

This got me wondering if that would add anything into the game. Here's the idea: lowering earth by one would change the cursor into "rising terrain" and you'd have to find a place to put the land you just excavated or vice versa. A cost estimate could be shown based upon how far the earth was about to get moved. Clicking on the very same spot would serve as a cancel action and refunding would occur. Something like that would require the game engine to charge full clearing costs before actually altering the terrain level.

Then again, the scale in Simutrans is just for the reference, eye candy. One could claim that the slopes and banks would only exist under the roads and rails, instead of covering one square kilometer. Maybe this was a silly idea.

VS

This is a really interesting and new idea...

...but it would make any excavations even worse for the player.

Myself, I'd like to see this made even simpler; right now you have to go click-click-click-click-click when clearing a passage for high speed rail line and it's good for rsi, I can tell you :P

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

You know, there is drag height level for quite a while in the game?

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

Quote from: prissi on October 13, 2008, 09:52:48 PM
You know, there is drag height level for quite a while in the game?

really?

and how to use it???

VS

Select up or down tool, then instead of clicking drag it...