News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Bridgewater-Brunel game no. 5

Started by jamespetts, October 31, 2022, 12:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Quote from: Andarix on September 07, 2023, 02:27:27 PMSimutrans servers can currently only be reached via IP and port.

The DNS address of the list server is permanently stored in the code. However, DNS triggering is currently not working.
see https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,22418

In my opinion, the fixed deposit directly in the code is a design error. It should be possible to specify the list server externally (simuconf.tab or another file) in order to avoid server failures, even for versions that have already been published.

Changing the list server based on a setting in simuconf.tab would be a worthwhile addition for the future. If anyone would like to code a patch for this, I should happily incorporate it, but, ideally, it would be common across Standard and Extended.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Andarix

Quote from: Andarix on September 07, 2023, 02:27:27 PMSimutrans servers can currently only be reached via IP and port.

The DNS address of the Simutrans server should also work alongside the IP.

zook2

I've tried
bridgewater-brunel.me.uk
46.32.231.222:13353

both in-game and via command-line link, and I get no response, although I can ping the server.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'm sorry for the delay. This should start working tonight.

jamespetts

The server has been down since the 7th of September. I have now restarted it with the latest build, including the signalling fix. Apologies for the trouble. Thank you to Isaac for fixing the list server.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

zook2

Thanks everyone for all the work!

jamespetts

I have experimentally modified the server_frames_per_step setting from 12 to 2 to see whether this makes the game smoother to play in a large, well developed map such as we currently have. I should be grateful for any feedback from users as to how this affects gameplay. Thank you.

Matthew

FYI Bridgewater-Brunel has not appeared on the Extended Server List for the last couple of days. Might be connected to the latest patches or might not.

I am not actively playing this game (and won't have time for Simutrans for a few weeks) so there is no hurry to fix this on my part.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

jamespetts

Quote from: Matthew on February 28, 2024, 03:58:41 PMFYI Bridgewater-Brunel has not appeared on the Extended Server List for the last couple of days. Might be connected to the latest patches or might not.

I am not actively playing this game (and won't have time for Simutrans for a few weeks) so there is no hurry to fix this on my part.
Thank you for the report. I think that this was the more common thread deadlock issue. I have reset the server; it would be useful to test whether this works with the latest patches.

TransshipmentEnvoy

Does the game end? The server seems to be offline for a while.

jamespetts

Quote from: TransshipmentEnvoy on April 15, 2024, 03:11:27 PMDoes the game end? The server seems to be offline for a while.

We seem to be getting outages quite soon after restarting. There has been a bug for a while where an occasional thread deadlock will stop the game from working until it is restarted. This seems to have become very frequent with this game to the point where we are not getting through the month. On the one hand, being so frequent may make it easier to find and eventually fix - but on the other hand, I have not time to deal with that at present because I am still having a lot of my time taken away by house refurbishments.

Also, we have now reached the future (October 2026). I wonder whether people might like a fresh start on a new map?

Matthew

Quote from: jamespetts on April 16, 2024, 09:56:12 PMAlso, we have now reached the future (October 2026). I wonder whether people might like a fresh start on a new map?

I always lose interest once we have reached the future. If you are kind enough to restart on a new map then I will join eventually, though there is no hurry on my part. I am happily playing Imperator:Rome and watching Iron Age documentaries for the time being.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。