News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Nightly build site discussion

Started by Colin, September 27, 2008, 05:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An_dz

I have some knowledge of PHP, HTML, CSS & JS. I would need to know what's the content of the request after the upload, if it contains any sensible info or is just a simple call and I'll have to hunt info from the uploaded files.

prissi

I think that could be arranged. Truebrain is on IRD ( irc.oftc.net, #openttd ) his normal name is Patric Stout.

I think it might be best to talk directly to each other. THe openttdsite has a folder for each nightly ever generated, although the nightly page just offers the last one (nightly.openttd.org)

An_dz

We can offer some older revisions as well, in case a nightly is broken. I'll contact him to get the details.

Anyway, who's going to provide the builds? Ters or Patric TrueBrain?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

And do I need to truly set up a key? Pass works perfectly fine. But I can set up a key if needed, I suppose. Being lazy - it can be done. :)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

An_dz

The first nightly has been uploaded. Linux and Windows only for now.

Ters

So far, the OpenTTD farm page is a better choice for downloading.

Didn't we have nightly pak set builds as well?

An_dz

Yes.

And I'm working on an user interface.

prissi

The MacOS build is nearly finished, it jsut need some more tweaks of the makefile. I am on it.

Btw, the sftp tries to write something to stdin
From An_dz on IRC I received the login credentials for the SFTP. From now on the files will be published there. If there is any need to change the directory or structure of the files, just give a yell.

Something for the person maintaining nightly.simutrans.com: upon SFTP it tries to read something from the stdin. This triggers a warning (as when doing sftp, stdin is not bound to a tty, so there is nothing to read). Is it possible to remove these warnings? (just try to SFTP something yourself via CLI, and you will see what I mean: "stdin: is not a tty")

An_dz

I've finished the callback script to be called when you finish the upload. What it does now is to create a file with some info about the builds so the site can be loaded faster (so it doesn't have to analyse the files and folder all the time).

This script can also create a new zip file with only the executable (like the old nightly site) and can also delete old folders, so we can delete older builds as new ones are uploaded.

I have not done the last two, and I think are good ideas. But do you agree? And how many revision do you think is a good number to keep before deleting?

wernieman

on the last nightly-page, there was the last 10 Version
I hope you understand my English

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: An_dz on February 08, 2015, 10:37:25 PM
I've finished the callback script to be called when you finish the upload. What it does now is to create a file with some info about the builds so the site can be loaded faster (so it doesn't have to analyse the files and folder all the time).

This could be added to cron. Even setting it to run every five minutes would probably be perfectly fine just because I suspect it might be at worst the same load as a forum page or two...

Quote from: prissi on February 08, 2015, 09:52:33 PM
Btw, the sftp tries to write something to stdin

It may not be possible to fix, but I will investigate. (The nice thing about cPanel is that it does a lot for you. Sometimes the problem with cPanel is someone doesn't want it to do one of the things it does for you. But it might not be able to turn off whatever it is for a single user even if we weren't running cPanel. But I'll check)

An_dz

I'm glad to announce the nightly website is now live. http://nightly.simutrans.com/

It's a simple but powerful website.
  • It allows easy translations as the old site and our front site.
  • It uses an svg logo with a png fallback for old browsers.
  • It has no javascript.
  • All OSes are at the top, so you don't need to scroll if you use Windows or Mac
  • It has some responsive design
  • Older version will only be shown by clicking the Older Versions button

Ters

I guess you're trying to use some official color for the different OSes, but I find the colors for Windows very penetrating compared to the rest, and to simutrans.com pages in general. If there is going to take some time before the Mac build is in place, it might be an idea to give some other visual clues that it is unavailable, such as removing the dummy link and darkening the button. A visitor scanning through the page might read the text on the Windows button (which is in middle and therefore quickly seen), then notice Mac to the right and click without noticing that the text is different.

Hard to tell how the older versions is going to work. I guess it doesn't at the moment because there is no older builds?

There is also no information whether the builds are GDI, SDL1 or SDL2 (or native Mac, but was there ever proper releases of that). I think the old nightlies also had several backends for some OSes, but that's not something for An_dz to worry about unless the build farm is going to make them.

Spacethingy

Thanks for the new site - just one thing, the Windows build doesn't include the necessary DLLs. Not a big deal really, you just need to copy them over from an existing install, as I mentioned before.
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

An_dz

Quote from: Ters on February 11, 2015, 07:05:20 AMI guess you're trying to use some official color for the different OSes, but I find the colors for Windows very penetrating compared to the rest, and to simutrans.com pages in general.
Yes, some official colour. I have brighten the Linux orange to reduce the Windows attention (even though I think both are very powerful and get attention)

Quote from: Ters on February 11, 2015, 07:05:20 AMIf there is going to take some time before the Mac build is in place, it might be an idea to give some other visual clues that it is unavailable, such as removing the dummy link and darkening the button.
Done.

Quote from: Ters on February 11, 2015, 07:05:20 AMHard to tell how the older versions is going to work. I guess it doesn't at the moment because there is no older builds?
Yes, because there's only one build there are no older versions.
They will be simple text like: r7520 - 12/08/2015 12:23 UTC

Quote from: Ters on February 11, 2015, 07:05:20 AMThere is also no information whether the builds are GDI, SDL1 or SDL2 (or native Mac, but was there ever proper releases of that).
I have not tested them, if someone can tell me I'll add this info.

Ters

Quote from: An_dz on February 11, 2015, 02:14:52 PM
Yes, some official colour. I have brighten the Linux orange to reduce the Windows attention (even though I think both are very powerful and get attention)

That latter part was the thing. They are very powerful, which was something of a departure from the comparatively dull design of the main site.

An_dz

I'm planning an overhaul of the main site. But didn't have the time to do so.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

It's great! :) I just downloaded the Linux nightly. Haven't run it yet, but this is the first time I saw get_pak.sh - that's awesome! I put a topic over in Praises for it.

And already a few stats on the domain. hehe

An_dz

So, what's the progress? Why no more uploads? Did you find the problem with stdin Isaac?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I haven't been able to duplicate. Connecting via SSH with password nets no text for me.  I can't connect with their key because it's got a passphrase on it, which is fine. I connected using a key and also got not text.

Is the text, whatever it is, actually causing failure or something? Because it seems like it worked. But if that's why no updates, then I'll spend more effort on it.

Ters

There have likely been no new builds because SVN has been down. No SVN means no code changes, and there is no point in building the same code over and over again.

An_dz

Quote from: Ters on February 14, 2015, 08:44:32 AM
There have likely been no new builds because SVN has been down. No SVN means no code changes, and there is no point in building the same code over and over again.
Duh, you're right. I forgot the SVN was down.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

wernieman

Ist the same, than my (old) building-Script. Is there no update, then no nightly build.
But on the old Side, there was an Info, that no update

An_dz

It's because you compiled the builds and if failed you'd show a report, the new nightly site doesn't. The builds are built in another server and doesn't send a report to tell no build was actually build.

An_dz

No uploads are being done. Windows is compiling, but Linux is not with an error trying to remove pthreads dll
http://farm.openttd.org/browse/SIMU-NIGHTLY-77/log

wlindley

No more 64-bix Linux? No more pakset builds? =sigh=

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Well..... I'm not a programmer. I have so very little experience on the programming side of things. But maybe it might be possible to build nightlies on the server? It is running Linux, although to be fair, it is CloudLinux, and the environment was restrictive enough that the effort to get SVN running on it was not seen as worth it (although I seem to recall other issues as well in that).

But even if we could just get Linux and paks going..... it might be worth it?

Before I start devoting time to it, I'd want experience folks to chime in with opinions. Especially if it's possible to see this existing nightly effort expanded on.

Also, I :definitely: don't know anything about cross-compiling as wernieman was doing.

prissi

paksets is easy, you just need makeobj as an executable and shell access (and of course and SVN client). Yu the jsut run on most paks

cd sf/simutrans # or where the SVN root is
svn up
cd pak64
make clean
make
# now you have simupak64-xxx.zip which you must upload with whatever command you use
make clean
cd ..
cd pak128.britain

an so on. However, paks evolve slowly, so one could also run this script one a week a home. I could run it mondays on my work computer, given there is a standardtised upload.

wernieman

Not realy soo easy, but ...

between svn up I do an svn info and check the Revision Number. Only when the Number changed, then I do the "make".

On an web server, it is not a good Idea to put an CrossCompiler on it. I don't think, that a "normal" gcc is an good Idea. The security ....

This was the reason, that the build and the Web-Server was on different Systems.
My Build-System was an Gentoo-Server, there was it easy to make Linux (32/64) and Windows Builds. But Mac ..... I do the generation of the Compiler on an Debian-VM on the Server. I doun't get it work on the Gentoo Maschine.

Sorry, but today I must delete the CrossCompiler on the Server ... but only the Compiler, not my Scripts. ;o)

Ters

Quote from: wernieman on February 25, 2015, 08:30:29 PM
On an web server, it is not a good Idea to put an CrossCompiler on it. I don't think, that a "normal" gcc is an good Idea. The security ....

It's hard to avoid having GCC (or other compilers) on a Gentoo system.

wernieman

*lol* thats the reason, that I don´t have a Gentoo-Sever as WebServer ... ;o)

Dwachs

It seems that the nightly build site does not have the latest build available, while on the compile server

http://farm.openttd.org/browse/SIMU-NIGHTLY

a recent build is available.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

An_dz

There's probably a problem with their script that send us the data because r7572 is the last version in the server.