News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Nightly build site discussion

Started by Colin, September 27, 2008, 05:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwachs

It seems to work again, the newest build is available.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

An_dz

Me and Isaac will take a look on setting a job on our server to check for updates if their script call fails.

IgorEliezer

Yololo!

Oh it seems you've got a very nice Nightly Builds page.

Dwachs

I noticed that there are versions compiled for MACs. Who does the compilation? I must have completely missed any discussion on this.

Ters

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Maybe he missed the "Not available"? :)

I did, I think, the first time I saw it.

Even now, the blue and orange and grey are pretty, so I hope it's not just a "disabled" colour if we get Mac nightlies. ;-)

An_dz

Don't worry Isaac, those are the definite colours. :D

Isaac Eiland-Hall

:small satisfied sigh of pleasure: :)

matio69

Is there any near-future timing for MacOS nightly build resolution? :o

An_dz

The site has been updated to allow download of the executables only. It's also less bright.

However the package comes also with the license files, as they are required for the distribution; and the simuconf.tab file, so you are safe of its changes.

We also have our check for new builds in case their script fails to report to us. It will obviously download the files, check the hash and update the whole site.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Dwachs

The latest build is not available on the nightly site, while it is available at the compile farm:

http://farm.openttd.org/browse/SIMU-NIGHTLY-165

An_dz

The logs show it was available at the usual time. I need to understand more about cache headers to send them correctly for our sites, so your browser doesn't fool you.

The only thing I can't understand though is why all systems hide the GMT. It's like we are in Medieval time and we think that it's midday in the whole universe.

Because our server reports the files were uploaded at 5:13. Theirs show the job was finished at 8:13. I'm guessing this means the job sent the files right because the minutes match. I'll see if I can find out.

TurfIt

Whats with the robots.txt and 'unavailable'? They show up ok with selecting older builds, including the current one listed as older.

An_dz

The site is fixed, I'm investigating what happened.

Edit:
All fixed, there were quite a few bugs.

An_dz

The nightly site now instructs your browser how to cache content, now it will ensure that you always see the updated page.

I suggest everybody, but especially If you were having problems not seeing the content updated, to either clear your cache or hit Ctrl+F5 on the page.

Dwachs

No new version seems to be pushed to the nightly server, here is an error log:

http://farm.openttd.org/browse/SIMU-NIGHTLY-PUB-190

Who can fix this?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Ah, sorry, that's a side effect of me having to move servers. It should be simple to fix, although I can't. The new server is legit, though.

An_dz

Thankfully I created that script to download ourselves the latest nightlies in case bugs like this happens. So the Nightly page is working.

One has to contact that guy I forgot who was to update the keys, info about him is on that thread when the nighly page was taken down and I started the new one.

prissi

THe key has been update already last Saturday or so. I tis truebrain at the OpenTTD forum.

uci

Where can I download nightly builds?

This site is not updated anymore:
https://nightly.simutrans.com/en/

and this one is not accesible:
http://farm.openttd.org/browse/SIMU-NIGHTLY

Ters

The first one is probably not updating because the latter doesn't work. I doubt there are others publishing regular development builds. (There was none at all when I joined.) If there is, there is a question of whether it is legit and not some trojan factory.

prissi

No news on that on openttd forums, even though their nightlies should be affected too. Their last release is from 6th April. No builds before that are likely some scripting troubles.

Ters

According to one of the discussions on their forum (the one about version control, which I just happened to decide to look at), OpenTTD does not use the forum anymore for development related matters, but IRC.

prissi

Anyway, it seems like thez moved to a Jenkins build (and as such we lost support for Simutrans nightlies) http://farm.openttd.org/jenkins/

I will probably set up a cross compile at my german forum server, so one could supply them from there.

Ters

I saw that they had some Jenkins scripts in GitHub, but I wasn't sure what they used earlier. Getting Jenkins to build Simutrans should be easy once there is a cross-compile environment on the server.

prissi

Why do you need Jenkins, when you have a cross compile environment? Simutrans does not have any automated tests ...

I have set up a crosscompilation on mz tiny virtual server, and it seems to compile and run on my machine: please test.
http://www.simutrans-forum.de/nightly/
(So far this is only the GDI windows version, build with the ancient Debian stable mingw64 (gcc4.x or so)

Ters

Jenkins is not for running tests, it is for executing automated jobs based on various triggers (its original purpose and most common use probably is to run tests, though). I use it at work to do all the stuff required for building a release, as well as uploading that release to various servers. Basically everything that happens to the code post-commit. (Except getting the go-ahead to put new version into production from those I work for, who do some manual testing first, but even that is supposedly possible.)

A cross-compile environment on the other hand, does nothing by itself.

An easily automated test for Simutrans would be to check that committed code compiles for every supported architecture. Then the committer can get an e-mail if they broke something within minutes of doing it.

prissi

To have a build at mindnight I will a cronjob, which does

cd trunk
svn revert -R .
svn up
./../bin/mingw64 make
cp sim sim.exe
./distribute
cp simuwin-gdi.zip /var/.../html/nighlies
chown www-data:www-data /var/.../html/nighlies/simwin-gdi.zip

while setting up Jenkins with a build system looks like a many day job learning Jargon. Just a random line copyind from a short guide "Now that Jenkins is configured, you are ready to orchestrate or maintain a CI pipeline. I recommend checking out the Jenkins documentation Getting Started with Pipeline to create and deploy your first CI pipeline."

Sorry, if I get money for such nonsense, I can do this. But my time is limited and I do not work in development, so this is useless Jargon to me. The shell script is all I can do, and takes less than 10 minute to write.

Anyway, does the nightly run for you?

Ters

Well, that shell script would be needed for Jenkins as well, except for the first three lines. In addition, it would not do the build if there are no changes, so that the dating of the files reflect when things last changed. And send e-mails to the guilty person(s) if the build fails due to compilation errors or whatnot. If all the developers were given access to its web interface, they would also be able to examine the logs and run builds manually to examine why the builds failed for platforms other than their own, or (less importantly) just to trigger release builds at different times.

So while Jenkins is a rather big tool with several features we don't need (and even more in plugins), I just thought such features out of the box would seem useful.

(Jenkins' new pipeline script system is indeed a lot to get familiar with, but I think they still support the old semi-point-and-click way of doing things.)

prissi

Anyway, no comments, but a complete (including packset installer) nightly is now generated at 2am MET (I think the server uses that for its crontab, not sure). Download at http://www.simutrans-forum.de/nightly/

uci

Latest nightly runs OK on my Win64 machine.  :)

prissi

Since the script run nicely, the new nightlies will be now generated there.

An_dz

The nightlies site is working again.

prissi and I fixed it this week and the site will be updated at the same time as prissi's server.

Executable only packages are available as normal, just like the option to download older versions.

Flemmbrav

Hey!
Would it be possible add makeobj nightlys to our nice nightly collection?