News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Tool to add new fields to a factory

Started by sanna, November 09, 2010, 10:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanna

This issue has arisen when trying to connect factories with fields to the power grid. It seems I cannot build a transformer next to a field of a factory, but only next to the main building; and some factories are surrounded by so many fields I cannot reach the building without tearing up the fields. If there are too few fields attached to the factory this is not always allowed; due to minimum field restrictions.

Now it does make much sense to keep the restriction that the only the main building may be connected to the power grid, but then some more tools are needed.

I think that at least the public player should be allowed to rearrange the fields (tearing up old ones and cultivating new ones) in order to create a clear path to the main building. AFAICT there is currently no tool to add new fields the fields of a factory - if I am wrong I would be most happy to be corrected! *smile*

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I've had this trouble as well - playing a very mountainous map with limited natural entrances to a farm, where I believe it would be fair for public service to add some fields on the back and clear a road path to the farm...

VS

Fields and electric lines can be on the same tile... I think. It worked like that when I played a few months back. Then you need only one tile for transformer.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

Fields and power line can be on the same field. And as long as 5 (or so) fields reamins (decided by the pack maker) you can delete as many fields as you like.

If a factory only has four fields, it is not producing. Thus this factory will not consume any power and putting lines there is a waste of money.

sanna

Quote from: VS on November 09, 2010, 11:00:06 AM
Fields and electric lines can be on the same tile... I think. It worked like that when I played a few months back. Then you need only one tile for transformer.
Indeed, but if _every_ single tile around the main building is occupied by a farm, then I am still incapable of placing a transformer next to the farm. The power lines are not the real problem, the transformer is.

prissi

YOu have nine field around a farm, minimum count is 5 (in pak64) This sould leave enough options ...

sanna

Quote from: prissi on November 09, 2010, 07:50:23 PM
YOu have nine field around a farm, minimum count is 5 (in pak64) This sould leave enough options ...
Then perhaps a recommendation to pak maintainers NOT to create factories with fields where there are NO SUCH OPTIONS should be issued. In pak.britain I frequently have farms and orchards (possibly also sawmills and cattle farms, but have not tested that specifically) where it is not possible to delete a single field. I think I have seen it also with pak128, but cannot verify it at the moment.

prissi

This is rather an error of the pak set makers, imho. Or at least a design flaw.

VS

Sanna: correct - I agree with Prissi. At least for 128, please report these as paskset bugs.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

sanna

Well, my call for a recommendation to the pakset maintainers was intended to give the impression that I had understood prissi's comments as what was going on was design flaws *smile* Sorry for being vague....