News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Tunnels and Elevated Rail

Started by TygerFish, February 02, 2011, 07:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TygerFish

I was just looking at this in my daily reading: http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2011/02/02/a-100-year-old-chicago-transit-lines-replacement-pondered/

I'd already been thinking before that the current elevated maintenance costs were far too low (more economical to build elevated rail than a bridge, and no downsides), and this got me thinking: does anyone know more about the real-life tradeoff in initial cost/maintenance cost for underground/elevated rail?

jamespetts

This would be addressed as part of the overall balancing process currently under discussion. I don't know the real life figures, but should love to find out!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

I would guess that elevated/bridge is initially cheaper and quicker than tunnelling. Probably not as much for earthquake prone zones, but that's beyond the scope of simutrans.

I'm not too sure about maintenance costs of each, since they can vary depending on terrain. For instance, going under a river requires adequate wall thickness and possibly constant pumping to keep the section from flooding. There is also type of ground being bored through and transitions in height, etc.

On the other hand, elevated rail would be restricted to what will fit, since it has to weave through obstacle buildings, which can add more curves and increase overall track length. Obviously, more curves, especially tight ones, restrict speed and increase maintenance compared to a curve with wider radius that can be built underground.

Not part of simutrans, but worth a consideration

Then there is also vermin/pest problems that must be dealt with occasionally. Birds building nests between the I beams in bridge decks and rodents finding shelter underground. The last one I can think of, are disruptions in road traffic, businesses and residences for building the infrastructure. Sometimes complete evictions as property must be acquired to build a station exit.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

ercsim

I don't think buildings should be allowed to be built under the elevated rails. Its creating a lot visual inconsistency, plus it unrealistic. I have seen my office buildings tower over elevated rails, and the trains just practically smack into them without exploding.
Experiments with Simutrans experimental + Pak128.Britain Experimental