News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

New Industry Suggestion

Started by railfan727, November 25, 2010, 11:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railfan727

I'm not sure whether this should go here or in the Graphics and Add-ons board, but I've thought of a few industry chains that might be interesting to add in the future...

How about a clay pit, with brick and ceramics factories?  The bricks can go to the material wholesaler, and the ceramics to the shopping mall, perhaps?  And some ceramics can go to materials wholesale, too (sinks and toilets, for example).

And, I know I've already suggested these under pak64, but how about some non-ferrous metals such as copper and aluminum?

What about fruit and vegetable farms, which would ship either directly to the supermarket, or to a cannery?

Fabio

The biggest problem with new chains is-- that we need someone to pain them!
I would think of chains partly using existing ones: e.g. existing resources to new processing plants to new/existing recipients, or new resources to new/existing plants to existing recipients.
The brick chain would fall in the second case (I actually thought of it when I painted the Builder's yard.
The vegetable farms could use existing farms just replacing the fields, this could be done easily, too.
What we really need, anyway, is more painters. On the other hand, a nicer pak could attract more artists, the way pak96 did.

railfan727

Would we really want to replace the existing farms?  I think we'd still need the corn, cotton, etc. to supply other industries...

VS

What Fabio meant was that when making new farms, one could copy-paste the building graphics and make only new fields, since they are the most prominent feature anyway.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

railfan727

And I imagine fruit orchards could be done by taking the tree plantation and replacing the pine trees with fruit trees (or grapevines)... apples, pears, and oranges would all be good choices for starters.

Or, how about a tropical scenario, with sugarcane, coffee, rubber, bananas, cocoa, etc?

Zeno

And you will expect someone to paint vehicles to transport all that... mmmm...
Well, I guess most could use existing vehicles anyway :P

The Hood

Such a chain exists in pak128.Britain.  Files are of course open source, so can be taken and used/modified easily, and being 128x128 size, will at least work with pak128.  The only down side is graphical consistency.

VS

I'd say fruit could be either piece goods or cooled, depending on what it is...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Zeno

Sounds reasonable... we need yet a painter for the industry though  ;)

VS

Zeno

As a suggestion, it would be nice to push the chemicals one step higher (they're only used for printing works), as they could be used for other products such as pharmacy products, soaps/detergents and cosmetics. Could be simple industries lilke a detergent factory consuming chemicals and producing detergent, being sold at supermarket or mall. Any volunteer? ;D

An_dz

In Portuguese sub-forum one of our member thought about adding Natural Gas, it can be produced by refineries to then be sent to gas thermoelectric, and also be sent to gas stations.

Alcohol can also be produced from cane yards to be sent to alcohol refineries and then sent to gas stations too.

Fabio

Quote from: Zeno on November 25, 2010, 09:32:39 PM
As a suggestion, it would be nice to push the chemicals one step higher (they're only used for printing works), as they could be used for other products such as pharmacy products, soaps/detergents and cosmetics. Could be simple industries lilke a detergent factory consuming chemicals and producing detergent, being sold at supermarket or mall.
And chemicals refineries could use more input resources than simple oil...

My timber plantation, instead, is not suitable as fruit orchard, it's plain clear it's a place where the trees are CUT ;)

sdog

QuoteMy timber plantation, instead, is not suitable as fruit orchard, it's plain clear it's a place where the trees are CUT
that's fine, the fruit orchard can produce planks and fruit salad

railfan727

Can't the tree stumps be replaced by images of trees with no fruit on them?  Or would it be better to use a farm, and replace the fields with rows of fruit trees or grapevines?

VS

Industries have one problem, they lack a reasonable timeline. Modern factories shouldn't appear too early - but there must be something on the map! Adding chains or even new goods is not the best step in this regard...

As long as you want me to name a totally new chain, I'd say gasworks: early in timeline, they simply consume coal. Might be a good starting point, like power plants.

railfan727

Who consumes the gas that is produced?

An_dz

Quote from: railfan727 on November 26, 2010, 03:05:38 PM
Who consumes the gas that is produced?
My post 4 post before yours:
Quote from: An_dz on November 25, 2010, 09:58:01 PM
Natural Gas, it can be produced by refineries to then be sent to gas thermoelectric, and also be sent to gas stations.

railfan727

Natural gas can also come directly from oil wells as a byproduct, or from gas wells in areas where there are deposits of gas, but no oil. It is commonly shipped in compressed or liquefied form.

ӔO

natural gas is mainly used as building heating where I live.
piped everywhere.

but propane gas is shipped everywhere in propane tanks using either train or truck and readily available at gas stations along with coal and firewood.

How about advanced chains that also consume electronics?
Instead of an automobile factory that only consumes metal, plastic and gasoline, it will also consume electronics.

or how about furniture factory will not only consume planks, but also plastics and textiles.

synthetic textile factory that consumes plastics and chemicals.

lighting factory that consumes glass, plastics and electronics. if it were to produce anything, it would be light bulbs, fluorescent lights, halogen, HID, and LEDs.

a chain fast food restaurant, chain family restaurant and pub will consume various amounts of food goods. Some that come to mind are fish and chips, burgers, italian pasta and pizza, beer and wings.

or maybe an online store that will consume various goods, but produce egregious amounts of mail as a product. (can that even be done?)

other things that I can think of are toy factories, ship construction yards, airplane assembly hangers and train assembly plants. Not that the last 3 will produce anything, but it would make more sense that your vehicles are built locally instead of magical imports.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

railfan727

So if you have to have materials to build your vehicles, how would your first ones be built before you have any industries connected?

grampybear

I agree with AEO that perhaps we should make more use of the current industries we have. I added electronics to my auto factory some time ago and it really changes the level of planning. My auto plant is always short of something, when you look at the entire supply chain now needed to make autos, its a challenge. I think I will add textiles to my furnature factory next. A great idea.

railfan727

What about adding a tire factory and including this in the auto chain as well?

And how about a stampings plant to produce auto body parts, and shipping the parts to the assembly plant, rather than raw steel?

sdog

brilliant idea!

Tire factory, requires sulphur from refineries, steel from steel works.
New downstream industries:
- Soot factory, requires heavy fuel oil from refineries.
- Seaport, delivers rubber

Additional change:
Oil power plants should not require raw oil, but heavy fuel oil from refineries.

railfan727

Then we'll need some 60' and/or 86' hi-cube boxcars to move the parts to the assembly plant...  and how about some autoracks to take the finished vehicles to market?  Autoracks come in two basic variations: bi-levels are used for larger vehicles such as SUVs and pickup trucks and hold 10-12 vehicles each (5 or 6, on each of 2 decks), and tri-levels hold 6 smaller cars on 3 decks (total capacity 18 vehicles).  These cars are roughly 90' long and 20' high.

And, while we're talking about vehicles here... how about a plant that makes heavy construction and mining machinery?

Also, what about a military industry chain that would produce tanks, jeeps, and ammunition?

sdog

QuoteAlso, what about a military industry chain that would produce tanks, jeeps, and ammunition?
No, there is a consensus not to implement military industry. In this ethical question this has to be respected, even if it would come from a minority. (i would expect a majority to be against it though)

railfan727

How about chemicals to explosives for the mining and construction industries (possibly with iron ore mines and quarries as end consumers)?  As hazardous cargo, it appears that these could generate huge profits.

ӔO

Quote from: sdog on November 28, 2010, 07:48:47 PM
brilliant idea!

Tire factory, requires sulphur from refineries, steel from steel works.
New downstream industries:
- Soot factory, requires heavy fuel oil from refineries.
- Seaport, delivers rubber

Additional change:
Oil power plants should not require raw oil, but heavy fuel oil from refineries.

to extend on this idea, you could add aluminum and carbon fiber parts for an even more advanced factory.

rubber could also be done as a plantation farm for rubber trees that will only grow on tropical zones, but have an import from a seaport if there's no tropical zone set.

other materials that might be interesting are titanium, copper, nickel, zinc, chromium, gold and silver. Of course, there's no need to keep all of them, but they do vastly enhance the types of metal alloys that can be used. Namely stainless steel, brass, bronze and cupronickel. Applications might include copper piping, construction material and gold or copper electrical circuitry

One other material, that might be interesting to have are ceramics, like silicon nitride, which are used in high temperature applications, like turbines engines.

then again, does simutrans need to be educational about chemistry? :D
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

IgorEliezer

Quote from: An_dz on November 25, 2010, 09:58:01 PM
In Portuguese sub-forum one of our member thought about adding Naturail Gas, it can be produced by refineries to then be sent to gas thermoelectric, and also be sent to gas stations.

Good idea!... well, where's the pipelines topic so I can bump it?  ;D

An_dz

Here Igor, and the next 6 posts are related to it.

railfan727

Oh, I just thought of a MAJOR omission...

How about candy/confectionery/soft drinks?  We can convert corn into corn syrup, then onward into all sorts of sweet treats.  For a soft drink bottling plant, bring in either steel, aluminum, plastic, or glass to make bottles or cans...

Then we'll need some 40' Funnel Flow tank cars to haul the corn syrup in.  ADM, Cargill, TruSweet, Minnesota Corn Processors, and Tate & Lyle/Staley are all common paint schemes for these.

greenling

New industrys with new goods and new vehicles be get new pakfiles.
And i Like new pakfiles,the new Pakfiles making my pakset colorful.

greenling
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

aliesperet

Or what about bikes? Then you would need steel, plastic and rubber tires
Due to confusion because the owner of this account I emphasize: I am from Noisy-le-Sec, France

rfg123

One of the most striking gap I have noticed is a lack of machinery. A machine shop of some sort could take in plastics, electronics, steel, and oil then produce different machinery.

Some other earth materials such as clay and kaolin are missing. Clay goes into one of the most important building materials - brick, and kaolin is used in paper production and in porcelain.

Defacto

How about Natural gas?

The refineries produce LNG from the crude oil given by Oil wells, and this LNG can be put into Gas plants?

I also think we need nuclear industry, with Uranium mines and Nuclear Plants...

For the future era, how about Deuterium platforms (replacing Oil platform) and Fusion Plants?

Rivers going trough high elevation changed could possibly spawn Waterplants, that generate free electricity like solar plants do?

And how about Phospor pits and Water treatment plants (the latter only available after 1990) that produce phospor, that can be used in Fertilizer plants, which then is used in Grain farms and other agricultural buildings?