News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Compiling pre-release versions of Simutrans-Experimental

Started by AvG, December 14, 2010, 11:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AvG

Mod note: This topic has been split from the topic, "Balancing 0.7 in 1750".

Hi Ras52,

Quote from: ras52 on December 13, 2010, 05:39:07 PM
Experimental.  Specifically, a git checkout from the 9.x branch -- so effectively a pre-release of 9.0.

This is very interesting for me. Could you download a prelim version 9,0 from James's Git? Exact location, filename?
I installed MSVC 2010 Express to be able to compile that version myself. However my knowledge of the whole C++ system is so rusty that it will take years before I can do that.

Your remark about horses in those late stages is correct. Understand my former message as: If you want to use horses in that era be prepared to deal with these costs and not making a profit. IF I add that Tori-horse to the Pak that will be the consequencis. This is the result of the systematic approach.

AvG
Ad van Gerwen

ras52

Quote from: AvG on December 14, 2010, 11:26:03 AM
This is very interesting for me. Could you download a prelim version 9,0 from James's Git? Exact location, filename?
I installed MSVC 2010 Express to be able to compile that version myself. However my knowledge of the whole C++ system is so rusty that it will take years before I can do that.

On Linux, I got the code by running:

git clone -b 9.x git://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-experimental.git

I then created a config.default file in the simutrans-experimental/ directory containing just:

BACKEND = mixer_sdl
COLOUR_DEPTH = 16
OSTYPE = linux
DEBUG = 1

... and then ran make.  That gave me a working pre-9.0 executable called sim.

The instructions in this post might be of use if you're trying to compile on Windows.
Richard Smith

AvG

Hi Raz52

Quote from: ras52 on December 14, 2010, 11:51:48 AM
The instructions in this post might be of use if you're trying to compile on Windows.

Some days ago I saw and studied the MSVC-entry of VS. I just had installed MSVC and thought -Hey, that's what I need-.
First thing you have to do is installing the OpenTTD-libs. Looks simple, but after checking the link I see nothing that looks according the instructions.
Am I stupid or what?
AvG.
Ad van Gerwen

ras52

Quote from: AvG on December 16, 2010, 09:03:40 PM
Some days ago I saw and studied the MSVC-entry of VS. I just had installed MSVC and thought -Hey, that's what I need-.
First thing you have to do is installing the OpenTTD-libs. Looks simple, but after checking the link I see nothing that looks according the instructions.

I can't be sure this will help as I don't have access to Windows to test this.  But looking at the source code, I'm not sure you'll need anything that's not bundled with the Simutrans-Exp. code.  It looks like the OpenTTD-libs stuff comes in the utils/openttd directory these days, and certainly on Linux, the build system just takes care of building it all for you.  So I expect all you need to do is download the source code from github and then jump straight in at step O in these instructions.  If you don't have access to a version of git on Windows, then the try here.  Note that that link will give you a zip file, though it's filename may not make that clear; you may find you need to rename it so it ends with '.zip' before you can unpack it.

Update: This page on the German Simutrans wiki might also help.  It looks more up-to-date than the forum thread.
Richard Smith

VS

Avg: oops, the thread sat there unchanged - and things around changed meanwhile. I'll look into this, if not, keep telling me until it's fixed :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!