News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Pak.Britain.Exp - how to compile.

Started by Milko, December 26, 2010, 05:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milko

Hello

After being able to build the simutrans experimental I'd also try building the latest version of pak.britain.exp.
I would therefore ask two questions.
Which version should I download from github? I typically see the jamespetts / simutrans-pak128.britain (master), but I saw that there are several forks .....
To compile the pak I'll use makeobj experimental version, I must also download and compile the code makeobj? In this case I do not know how and where to get the makeobj project.
I find the makeobj already compiled somewhere?

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Giuseppe,

the correct repository for Pak128.Britain-Ex is this one. You will need a Simutrans-Experimental specific version of Makeobj to compile Pak128.Britain-Ex: you can download a Windows version here.

I hope that this helps!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Milko

Hello

I downloaded the makeobj and the source of pak128.britain.

I would like to build the whole pack. I have to do directory by directory (eg for boats currently using the command "makeobj PAK. /. / boat") or is there an automatic procedure to run for the system to do it myself?
Using windows xp.

Giuseppe

jamespetts

I think that somebody set up a script to do it on Linux, but I'm not aware of any means of automating it on Windows yet (I build it manually in the way that you do).

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Milko

Hello

Do you use makeobj pak or makeobj pak128?

I found an error, in old_school.dat, the png is in .\images\ but the old_school.dat point to .\

Giuseppe

jamespetts

You need to use makeobj pak128 for most things, except:

(1) the 64 tile GUI parts in /gui/64;
(2) the 192 tile boats in /boats/192; and
(3) the 224 tile boats in /boats/224,

which need to be compiled with pak64, pak192 and pak224 respectively.

Thank you for the report about the school; the problem will be fixed in the next Github release.

Milko

Hello

What about dir pak1file, have I to compile? What the dest pak name for it?

Edit: Solved  :)

Giuseppe

Sorry, double post

Milko

Hello James

Edit: Solved  :)

Edit2: Not solved....

I'm doing a batch file to compile the pak (see in attached). One problem the batch don't compile symbol.BigLogo.pak, how may I obtain the file? Using makeobj?

One question: directory grounds have to be compiled in BritGrounds-Ex or tha name is ground.Outside.pak?

Edit 3: Updated file in attach (the script appear to be ok exept symbol.BigLogo.pak and for boats224/192 that are not compiled)

Edit 4: script removed.

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Thank you for that - most helpful. But I don't understand the original question - what do you mean by "dir pak1file" here? To answer your other question, the grounds to indeed need to be compiled as ground.Outside.pak.

Milko

Hello

In the repository there is a directory "pak1file", in the directory there is one file .txt that explain to compile the directory in a saparate pak.

This is the text in the .txt:

# This dir contains dat files to be packed in their own pak file.
# Unlike the standard directories where all pak files are packed
# into the same pakfile.

# Put files into subdirectories named after the pak size (e.g. 128).

# ground.Outside.pak is required by simutrans to determine the size
# of the paksets tile sets. The file has to be used with this exact
# name to allow the pakset to be detected.

# 2010-06-18 sdog

I do not understand if I have to compile this directory as indicated in the text.

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Hmm - I haven't had any involvement with that directory - it appears from the text that it was SDog who added that part. Because I only compile it manually, I have not had much involvement with that, and wouldn't know the answer any more than you would. The text indicates that these are specific files that need separate treatment (such as ground.Outside.pak), and so each .dat file in that directory should be put into a separate .pak file.

sdog

Simutrans needs a ground.Outside.pak file in the pak directory to determine the pak size. In this pak1file directory is at the moment only a water square for the water outside the map which is packed into ground.Outside.pak. The name of this pak file is fixed and there should be nothing else in it.

The pak1file directory is there for other cases where only one dat file should be packed in it's own pak file, for whatever reason.

There are two ways to 'compile' a pakset automatically, a python scripte mose.py and Makefiles for linux. If you have a running linux installation the Makefiles are by far the easiest way to compile the pakset:

copy config.template to config.default

edit config.default (add your paths, extensions etc)

run make in the directory

wait half a minute or so

jamespetts

Do you know how to set up the Python script in Windows? It'd be useful for me to be able to compile using it.

sdog

i'm afraid no, i don't know to do anything useful in windows. Anything related to script or programming languages seems particulary tedious. (last time i tried to, we installed Ubuntu as a dual boot in 20 minutes, after trying for 2 hours in vain to properly install MiKTeX.)

However i am certain the python scripts will work in windows, that's where they were they must have been made after-all, on linux (or BeOS afaik) gnu make is the much easier approach.

Unless someone posts something here, The Hood or Wernieman should know the mose.py devs, i think they had to sort out some problems when setting up the pak128.britain nightly.

Milko

Hello all

@sdog

so if I'm not mistaken, I fill the contents of the folder pak1file/128 into a single file? You give a specific name to the pak you get? For me, the default name will be outside.pak

@james

I'm unable to compile symbol.BigLogo.pak, I don't know how to obtain could you help me?

@all
My simple script appear to work, the problems I have now are relate to the questions that I posed in this post ... if I get it to work fully and send it to you tell you how to use it.
I compiled the pak with the script (I had to add the file pak symbol.BigLogo.pak tacking it from official pak) and I was able to load without problems demo.sve.

Giuseppe

Milko

Hello

After several attempts I made a version of the script that (seems) to be fully functional.

I've probably answered the two questions that I did before:

symbol.BigLogo.pak (contained in the official pak 0.7.1) is not needed, since it is included in the file BritGUI128-Ex.

I compiled the folder Grounds in the file BritGrounds-Ex, and the folder pak1file/128 in the file ground.outside.pak.

Everything seems to work perfectly, and the demo.sve file is loaded without problems.

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Giuseppe,

thank you for that. Do you think that you could upload your script? Incidentally, it is important (on Linux systems) that the file be ground.Outside.pak, not ground.outside.pak (which will work only on Windows systems).

Milko

Hello James

Ok for Linux, file name is system.Outside.pak.

The script is in attach.

It's simple to use.

I put the script in c:\makeobj
In c:\makeobj I put also makeobj.exe and the needed dlls.
I put the pakbritain repository in c:\makeobj\pakdat (without first folder jamespetts-simutrans-pak128....)
I create a folder c:\makeobj\pakpak
in c:\makeobj (using windows shell) I run the command "pak pakpak pakdat"

You can change folders name.

Giuseppe

inkelyad

Quote from: sdog on January 05, 2011, 12:05:26 AM
However i am certain the python scripts will work in windows, that's where they were they must have been made after-all, on linux (or BeOS afaik) gnu make is the much easier approach.
Somebody should write 'How to build pack using MinGW'. I don't see much difference between installing python for Windows vs installing  MinGW.
And MinGW is more useful. One can build Simutrans with it too.

neroden

Quote from: jamespetts on January 04, 2011, 11:24:14 PM
Do you know how to set up the Python script in Windows? It'd be useful for me to be able to compile using it.

You have to have python installed, for starters.  I think it has to be python 3.9 but I may be remembering wrong.

It might make more sense to find and install a copy of 'make' for Windows, there are a bazillion implementations.  MinGW might be the way to go.

Milko

Hello

I used the script that I made with the updated version of pak_britain today (January 11). To test I loaded the savegames of Sdog (152-162) and everything was ok. Can someone do some tests to confirm the validity of the script? I can not upload the packed file because of its size.
James, if it sees fit (because the script runs on Windows systems without installing any program) you can also put it (when I made the final version) in the official repository of pak_britain.

Giuseppe

sdog

Vladimir Slavik has 'pakmak.py' a quite good python script to build pak128. I think it's quite a bit clearer in it's operation than mos.py. It should be enough to install python to run it in windows.

Nice thing is it goes recursivley through dirs specified in a 'pakmak.tab' subfolderd to recurse too are specified there also the commands to be applied to the directory.

Perhaps you want to have a look on it too.

Giuseppe you can just upload the packed pak to a file hoster like rapidshare, hotfile etc.

wlindley

Could someone please correct the  Simutrans-Experimental compatible paksets thread?  

It currently points to the (old?) https://github.com/jamespetts/pakbritain-experimental instead of the (new?) https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-pak128.britain .

Actually if that old link is incorrect, can it be deleted or pointed to the new one?

And I presume that the correct (linux) command to sync with the remote source tree would be:

git clone -b 9.x git://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-pak128.britain.git

Right? Much obliged.

jamespetts

Thank you for pointing that out - updated the link!

Milko

Hello

pak.bat - update, now also airplanes are correctly packed.

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Milko

Hello

pak128Britain.bat - update, now also narrowgauge is correctly packed.

@James: your pakBritainExp contain the file "BritNarrowGauge.pak", my script "BritNarrowGauge-Ex.pak".

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Thank you for that. I don't use a .bat file, however, but a Python script (makeALL.mos), which I think is on Github. I have amended it accordingly, however.

Milko

Hello

I use the Python file and translates it into the script that I publicly.  :)

Who wants to try a nightly version of pak128britainexp, he can use the script that I public, is generated in a simple manner.

Giuseppe

Milko

Hello

pak128Britain.bat - update, now also planes 192px and planes 256px are correctly packed.

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Thank you for that - I have pulled from your branch and the updated make file (and .mos files) are now in my Github repository.

Spartanis

Quote from: jamespetts on January 04, 2011, 02:47:37 PM
You need to use makeobj pak128 for most things, except:

(1) the 64 tile GUI parts in /gui/64;
(2) the 192 tile boats in /boats/192; and
(3) the 224 tile boats in /boats/224,

which need to be compiled with pak64, pak192 and pak224 respectively.

Thank you for the report about the school; the problem will be fixed in the next Github release.

wot.. wait...

you can have more than one pak size for your pak128 ex?!?!

jamespetts

Actually, one can have vehicles in a larger tile size if one accepts that they will spill over the boundaries into other tiles. Aircraft now also come in 128, 192 and 256 tile sizes.

Spartanis

Quote from: jamespetts on July 27, 2012, 09:37:30 AM
Actually, one can have vehicles in a larger tile size if one accepts that they will spill over the boundaries into other tiles. Aircraft now also come in 128, 192 and 256 tile sizes.

will THIS solves my Vehicle problem in my pakset!!!.. I shall explore this when the time comes :)

MCollett

The Makefile as grabbed a couple of days ago from github fails to make the pak192 ships, the third line of

DIRS192 :=
DIRS192 += boats/boats192
DIRS192 :=
DIRS192 += air/air192

being rather counterproductive.

Best wishes,
Matthew