News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

brit.simutrans.entropy.me.uk

Started by Ashley, January 16, 2011, 11:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

Currently running Simutrans stable 111.0 (r4911) with pak128.Britain-1.09.

Find Simutrans & pakset here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=8360.0

Connect to: brit.simutrans.entropy.me.uk:13355

This server is accessible using both IPv4 and IPv6.

Screenshot of the map:

Previous savegames can be found here, listed by the date when the server was shut down:

http://entropy.me.uk/simutrans/networksavegames/simbrit/
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Dwachs

Edit: Revision 4184 seems to be fairly unreliable

In what respect? Compared to which earlier revision?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Ashley

More desyncs, especially as more players join. This is mostly compared to r4114 which I had there before.

I've found that tweaking the server_frames_ahead value up a bit to 8, and setting additional_client_frames_behind to 4 on the clients I am testing with helps stability a little.

My friend was finding things like changing line names (when he pressed the enter key) caused desyncs almost 100% of the time, but that didn't happen at all for me with the same game settings. Next time I play I will be sure to put logging to full debug and post the logs.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.

prissi

The problem is, that you have to increase the server savegame version in simversion.h to
#define SERVER_SAVEGAME_VER_NR  "0.110.0"
Otherwise the increase frame ahead times will be not used and the client will run at 4 or any other time in their simuconf.tab specified. I will do this for todays (Mon) nightly.

Ashley

FYI I will be upgrading the server this evening and starting a fresh map. I'll post a link to the savegame for the old map in case anyone wants to keep it.

Edit:

The server has now been upgraded, previous savegame can be downloaded here for a while if you wish to continue playing:

<See first post for previous savegames>

rapheous

Looks like the server just crashed as it is no longer responding.

edit: nevermind, tried it again and it is working :) but on a new map :(

Ashley

Ah sorry, that map was pretty much done I think :) Here's the savegame in case you want to keep playing. The new map has timeline turned on from 1960 to give an extra dimension for this time around.

<See first post for previous savegames>

Edit:

I will be restarting the map with a new game version this weekend, old save will be posted here as usual.

Edit:

Map has been restarted, see first post for details.

rapheous

I think the game crashed last night whilst I was playing. Doesn't look like it has managed to recover itself.

Ashley

I've just restarted it, I need to add some better monitoring to tell if it's working or not since it had got itself into a state where it was still running but not doing anything...

rapheous

Thanks :) Getting a lot of reloads now, with pretty lengthy pauses each time.

edit: yes was 3 clients connected when I joined - the refreshes were generally followed with an update on how many clients connected.

Ashley

Reloads like when someone leaves/joins?

Edit: Server has been updated to release 110.0 - see first post for details & for previous savegames.

rapheous

Server appears not to be responding.

Ashley

Looks like kernel logs on the server got filled up by millions of the same message... I have put a syslog filter in place and I'll restart the Simutrans processes. I think it's the backup client that my VPS provider installs.

Edit:

For the moment it should be back and stable, please let me know if not.

Edit: Upgraded to 110.0.1 (r4359) and a new (bigger) map.

sgtsammac

I'm on now, but no one else is on the save, come on guys Wanna play?

spechter

Ashley

Lots of free spaces on this server at the moment :)

V813

What are the public stops at the north for?
V813
Simutrans newbie.

Ashley

Map restarted - not been a lot of people playing on this one compared to the 128 and 64 maps.

Edit: Map has been restarted with a more up-to-date version of pak.Britain. I've reduced the map size since fewer people are playing.

Edit: Map restarted (same map as before).

Edit: Map restarted, new map and new Simutrans (nightly) version.

Edit: Server restarted, same map but new stable Simutrans/pak versions.

AP

Have just logged on, first time with this newfangled online play! So, er, are there any particular play criteria, targets etc? I see lots of oil tankers moving about...

Edit: Well, I built a short railway line, we'll see how that turns out!

Ashley

Yeah just jump in and do your own thing :) If you're looking for a more structured game try the Moblet games, since they are based around cooperative play with goals and so on.

AP

Cool. I see a few players went bankrupt... came a bit close myself yesterday evening but made it through ok in the end.

Having a bit of trouble with a level crossing - there's a player-owned road east of Scarborough, electrified (for trolleybuses I assume). It won't let me make a level crossing over it. Any chance a couple of tiles of road could be made public?  Because I've used the narrow gauge rail network, I can't build rail bridges, so I need that level crossing (or a road bridge...). :) Thanks
Edit- ignore above comment, seems to have been all made public now. :)

AP

Passenger rail up and running, seems financially stable. This new narrow gauge is very good for getting an early profit, lower maintenance than standard gauge (slower too). Regauging is a pain though! Map needs some industries though...

AP

Okay, so I have some feedback, possibly it's stuff more general to online play than specific to this game, I don't know. But nonetheless.... Basically, I think the game plays too fast. I mean, whilst I was at work today, it was presumably running on its own, since I now have £20,000,000 in the bank and several cities are growing out of control. It's like a few game-decades have passed or something. I'd love to set up more urban rail, but without playing full time it's never going to be possible to keep up, whilst simaltaneously upgrading infrastructure etc to take account of the ever-increasing traffic.

The map has no industry, hence I used passengers, presumably it's less of a problem for freight players. But I wonder if the game needs to play much slower on a server than in 'real life'?

prissi

The new version has the autopause feature, which will pause the srever if no one is connected. The paasing of time as well as city growth could be altered only on server side when creating new games.