News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

trucks

Started by vilvoh, October 21, 2008, 11:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

This is my first truck for Simutrans, Jockey TABF (the name is invented) I'm doing the first tests because someday I would like to start a roadtrain pak... ::).... I'll create 4 or 5 long trucks.

EDIT: image updated

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Alex. Brose

Wow! Really nice!

A clean work.

VS

Tired of these puny bugs crawling on roads and getting in your way? Buy our Jockey Monster Truck and never care what was it that crunched under your wheels! ;D (the picture is a bit misleading with reference to 64)

Now seriously...  It looks good, and any complaints I had diminished in the final size.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

vilvoh

Quote from: VS on October 22, 2008, 08:55:05 AM
the picture is a bit misleading with reference to 64

You're right. That img is in 128pak scale. I'll post some screenscaps later (I'm supposed to be working although the boss is not here right now... ::))

Quote from: VS on October 22, 2008, 08:55:05 AM
It looks good, and any complaints I had diminished in the final size.

Its height is 9 pixels. I might do it smaller but It loses a lot of detail. In real life is a medium truck. I reserve 10-11 px for large trucks and road-trains.... ;D

vilvoh

Another big truck for transporting packet goods. Holland RWS

vilvoh

A new cement mixer: Jockey CCO Mixer.

vilvoh

A small and fast concrete mixer: Austin 1300.

VS

Am I alone with the feeling your trucks have strangely placed wheels?

EDIT: Sorry, in this series it's only the last.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

vilvoh

Well, you're quite right. The point is that the first set of wheels corresponds to the cabin. The rest corresponds to the "trailer". Sometimes is due to the render, that do not represents the wheels correctly due to the scale. I've tried to fixed it with GIMP, but It's not easy.. :-\

Anyway, all wheel configurations are "real". I mean, I've used real photographs to create the models, they're not invented. I guess that If the truck is long, heavy and slow, config A is better to support the weight.  If the truck is small, fast and light, you have to use config B to distribute the weight along trailer's structure . It's just a supposition...

Other thing is that in all those trucks, or at least all half cab ones (Jockey and Austin models), the cabin tends to be independent from the trailer. So you can have 3 sets of wheels ( 2+1 in Jockey TABF or 1+2 in Holland) or even four ( 1+3 in Jockey mixer)

vilvoh

First serious try-out of a road train: a preview of Kenworth K103 B from DHL

vilvoh

Kenworth KC-104 B is almost finished. The bad news is that do not exist loading bays big enough to fill the whole convoy. It consist of three units (1 cab + 2 trailers) and you need a tile for each two units, so with the existing stops is not possible to fill it completly.. :(....but don't worry, I'll create something...... ;D

P.S: I don't know if there's any constraint about having 2x1 loading bays, Any idea?

sojo

Quote from: vilvoh on November 11, 2008, 11:47:11 PM
P.S: I don't know if there's any constraint about having 2x1 loading bays, Any idea?

You can make a stop like a busstop.
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

vilvoh

What I had in mind is to create both versions. A large terminal loading bay which will go at the end of a road track and a large continous loading bay that has two exits/entries. I guess I will use the current loading bay graphics..

sojo

And when you make a second stop, who look like the loading bay (like bus stop)? You can build it before the one and you have a 2x1. But it is only a idea.  ;)

vilvoh

A quick test of a possible design based on the single tile loading bay currently available.

sojo

And can you pak it? I mean, can you show me the dat?

vilvoh

Yes I could, but not right now (I'm busy at work.. :))  I think you can adapt any 2x1 railway station dat, for example this one from MHz Victorian station (link to image):

Obj=building
Name=VictorianStation
copyright=MHz
type=extension
waytype=track
enables_pax=1
NoInfo=1
Level=4
intro_year=1865
# Order N,E,S,W
Dims=2,1,2
BackImage[0][0][1][0][0][0]=victorian_station_mhz.0.3
BackImage[0][0][0][0][0][0]=victorian_station_mhz.0.2
BackImage[1][0][0][0][0][0]=victorian_station_mhz.0.1
BackImage[1][1][0][0][0][0]=victorian_station_mhz.0.0
BackImage[0][0][1][0][0][1]=victorian_station_mhz.0.7
BackImage[0][0][0][0][0][1]=victorian_station_mhz.0.6
BackImage[1][0][0][0][0][1]=victorian_station_mhz.0.5
BackImage[1][1][0][0][0][1]=victorian_station_mhz.0.4
icon=> victorian_station_mhz.1.0
cursor=victorian_station_mhz.1.3

DirrrtyDirk

I doubt that it will work that way. AFAIK there's a difference between a building that is placed next to a way (=extension) and one that is placed on a way (=stop).

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

vilvoh

Perhaps I used the wrong example. I didn't mean you code it is as an extension building, but I guess It's possible because large train stations exist.

I think a possible dat file for that could be..

Name=LargeCarStop
type=stop
waytype=road
enables_ware=1
NoInfo=1
Dims=2,1,4
intro_year=1910
level=2

...and you need to create a 2x1 stop from the single tile stop png file. What I don't remember is if terminal stops, which are placed at the end of a road track, need to be 1x1 size or can be larger. If there's any restriction in that sense, I guess it also may be coded as a busstop with enables_ware=1, so that it can manage freights too.

prissi

Any stop with a way must be 1x1 currently. Simutrans cannot handle larger ones. However, with the layout=8 you can make loading bays that change grphics when extenden. I think vilvoh did this in the old archive once.

PatrickN

I had working stops in pak128 that used the end loading dock to make a bus stop-like extension as a separate stop right after it became possible to have more than 2 units (a truck plus 3 trailers, for example).  I don't know what I did what that, but it looked just like the single access loading bay in the picture on the first page.  Road trains never went mainstream, so neither did my loading dock.  It's good to see they are making a surge here. :)

Painter, in and out of retirement.

vilvoh

Quote from: prissi on November 13, 2008, 10:47:49 PM
[..] with the layout=8 you can make loading bays that change grphics when extenden. I think vilvoh did this in the old archive once.
If I did it, I don't remeber right now.. :D...I think Frank mentioned something about that issue some thim ago. If I remember correctly, it was a topic about large train stations.

Anyway, you mean to use Dims=2,1,8 instead of Dims=2,1,4 following this scheme? I may need some help...could anybody give me a quick explanation about how to code it in the dat file, please?

EDIT: It was a topic from Zeno about coal loading stations. It's in the archive (link)

DirrrtyDirk

No, as prissi wrote, you can only place 1x1 sized objects on any way.

So for a station, it must be dims=1,1,x (and x can be 2, 4, 8 or 16)

look here for more info (in German only, I'm afraid - but the table shouldn't be that hard to translate via google or so).

Anyway, here's the most important words for the dims table:

Weg=way
Mittelteil=middle part
Endteil=end part
Einzelteil=single part
Nord=north
Süd=south
Ost=east
West=west (difficult one, I know  ;D)

With those, the graphics shown there and a little experimenting, you'll probably get it working pretty soon.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

vilvoh

Thanks for the info, DirrrtyDirk.

There's a thing I still don't understand. If I've read correctly, the use of 1,1,8 or 1,1,16 as Dims implies the station has only 2 rotations, doesn't it? I mention this becasue the original one is 1,1,4 that means four rotations, and as far as I've read, if you implement the large version following that scheme seems it will have only two rotations, am I right? therefore, it will be like a bus stop with exits-entrances by both sides, which was not what I had in mind... :-\

BTW, Is there any sample of this somewhere in the SVN? Perhaps the large dock?

VS

So what you need can be apparently described as

dims=1,1,6

vilvoh

Does Tilecutter support this feature?

Frank

Quote from: vilvoh on November 14, 2008, 09:08:18 AM
If I did it, I don't remeber right now.. :D...I think Frank mentioned something about that issue some thim ago. If I remember correctly, it was a topic about large train stations.

german wiki sorry, not translating

sojo

Quote from: VS on November 14, 2008, 01:29:54 PM
dims=1,1,6

This is not possible. Only 1,1,2 ( 2 middlestops) 1,1,4 ( 4 endstops ) 1,1,8 ( 4 stops for 2 directions ) 1,1,16 ( 8 stops for 2 directions, 4 for left side and 4 for right side )

Vilvoh you can make 2 stops. A first one for the end ( 1,1,4 ) and a second as an extension ( 1,1,2 ). I don't know an other way.

VS

Quote from: sojo on November 14, 2008, 02:11:07 PM
This is not possible.
Well, not now. But it could be added, maybe?

prissi

YOu can have it with layout=8, but then it would still allow to connect a road to the end tile.

vilvoh

well, It doesn't matter. It's clear...I will try it at the weekend.

Back to trucks and road trains, I've finished the Kenworth KC-104B and it's ready for downloading. You've to build mixed stops to use it, until I create the new loading bay (see screenshots). I couldn't resist so I've added some extra images of the road train overtaking other vehicles and it looks awesome!! I love this game!!.... ;D

Giziar

vilvoh

Thanks for the info Giziar, I knew somebody had done something. The author is Timothy....direct link to the 64pak loading bays

It uses a different approach, imho quite more simple. He coded a terminus loading bay that is placed at the end of the road, and another loading bay through that goes in front of the terminus one, like and extension building. You've two different buttons but this way you can build loading bays as large as you want. It's the most reasonable way to implement it, a must-have if you want to play with road trains.... :)

vilvoh

Another cement mixer for the 1950's. Mack B-42....

vilvoh

I've done this GMC CrackerBox 238 from 1965.