News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

New roads

Started by rfg123, January 21, 2011, 04:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfg123

Recently I began playing pak64 regularly in multiplayer, and became somewhat bored with the available infrastructure in the standard set. So, in an effort to both add interest to the game and pave the way for a pak64.USA, I began compiling a new timeline for road and rail networks. Much research went into making sure intro/retire dates were as close to accurate for North America, as well as identifying which road materials were used and how pavement markings evolved over time. Originally this was intended for pak128.USA, but I find pak64 easier work with on my computer. This new road set begins in 1810, which will be the earliest start date for pak64.USA.

At the end, the only roads that will remain unchanged graphically are dirt and gravel. 13 standard roads will emerge, conforming to a timeline, as well as two futuristic roadtypes, and 8 city roads. New bridges will be drawn tailored to each road to ensure a graphically consistent network.

But enough talk, here is a sample of what is to come:

From left to right:

Stage Road
Dirt Road
Gravel/Macadam Road
Cobblestone Road
Unmarked Pavement
Rural Road

In addition, I attached two sample road graphics to give an idea of what I have been working on. One is the MIP cobblestone road, darkened and improved; the other is a lined road, typical of the period from ~1920-1949.

rfg123

More finished products;

Simple Pavement (1894-1918), City Road #3 (1882 - 1918) -

Rural Road (1918 - 1972) -

Lined Pavement (1918 - 1971), City Road #4 (1918 - 1936) -

Early highway (1934-1958) -

electroduck

Nice graphics. Where are the .paks?
EAT BASE 64!
$TXkgbmFtZSBpcyBlbGVjdHJvZHVjay4NCllvdSBjYW4gdmlzaXQgbXkgd2ViIHNpdGUgYXQgaHR0cDovL3d3dy5lbGVjdHJvZHVjay5jb20vDQpJIGxpa2UgRG9mdXMgYW5kIFNpbXV0cmFucy4=

rfg123

Here is the first Beta release, this set covers the timeline from 1810-1940. These were designed for use with the nightlies, no guarantees that they will work in the last stable release.

**Note: to use the new city roads, navigate to the simuconf.tab file and insert this code in place of the standard city road timeline:

city_road[0] = City Street, 1918
city_road[1] = Pavement, 1882
city_road[2] = Cobblestone Road, 1810

rfg123

Three more roads have been completed, these are a bit more modern than the last batch. 8)

I am still not 100% satisfied with the curve pieces, but they are a major pain to align correctly. Eventually these will have straight diagonals (if I can find a template, that is).

In addition, there have been updates to three previously posted roads. Please download and let them over ride the old versions.

electroduck

EAT BASE 64!
$TXkgbmFtZSBpcyBlbGVjdHJvZHVjay4NCllvdSBjYW4gdmlzaXQgbXkgd2ViIHNpdGUgYXQgaHR0cDovL3d3dy5lbGVjdHJvZHVjay5jb20vDQpJIGxpa2UgRG9mdXMgYW5kIFNpbXV0cmFucy4=

Ashley

Quote from: rfg123 on January 29, 2011, 10:45:45 PM
I am still not 100% satisfied with the curve pieces, but they are a major pain to align correctly. Eventually these will have straight diagonals (if I can find a template, that is).

Please feel free to use the attached roads as a template, I found that the shape of these diagonal road pieces produces some quite attractive diagonal roads.

Your road set looks really good btw :)
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

prissi

Did you have the dat for this? (And maybe even a snow version ... ? (You know, greedy pak set maintainer.)

rfg123

@IgorEliezer, Glad you like! I can tailor the stats to Brazilian standards if you provide info on top speed, intro dates, etc.

@Timothy, You are a saint, expect diagonals for these roads soon! ;)

@Prissi, There are snow versions for every road I paint, the dat and all sources are in this zip file:

prissi

I asked for timothys road, as I just wanted to replace the existing asphalt road of pak64.

Ashley

Sure thing Prissi, dat file for that one is:

Obj=way
Name=asphalt_road
copyright=
cost=10000
maintenance=800
topspeed=130
max_weight=100
intro_year = 1940
intro_month = 7
waytype=road
icon=> /images/asphalt_road.7.1
cursor=/images/asphalt_road.7.0
Image[-]=/images/asphalt_road.0.0
Image[N]=/images/asphalt_road.1.0
Image[S]=/images/asphalt_road.1.1
Image[E]=/images/asphalt_road.1.2
Image[W]=/images/asphalt_road.1.3
Image[NS]=/images/asphalt_road.0.1
Image[EW]=/images/asphalt_road.0.2
Image[NSE]=/images/asphalt_road.2.0
Image[NSW]=/images/asphalt_road.2.1
Image[NEW]=/images/asphalt_road.2.2
Image[SEW]=/images/asphalt_road.2.3
Image[NSEW]=/images/asphalt_road.0.3
Image[NE]=/images/asphalt_road.3.0
Image[SE]=/images/asphalt_road.3.1
Image[NW]=/images/asphalt_road.3.2
Image[SW]=/images/asphalt_road.3.3
Diagonal[NE]=/images/asphalt_road.4.0
Diagonal[SE]=/images/asphalt_road.4.1
Diagonal[NW]=/images/asphalt_road.4.2
Diagonal[SW]=/images/asphalt_road.4.3
# Full Height
ImageUp[3]=/images/asphalt_road.5.0
ImageUp[6]=/images/asphalt_road.5.1
ImageUp[9]=/images/asphalt_road.5.2
ImageUp[12]=/images/asphalt_road.5.3
# Half Height
#ImageUp[3]=/images/asphalt_road.6.0
#ImageUp[6]=/images/asphalt_road.6.1
#ImageUp[9]=/images/asphalt_road.6.2
#ImageUp[12]=/images/asphalt_road.6.3
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.