News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Join stops without making them public.

Started by gauthier, May 02, 2010, 07:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gauthier

Sometimes, you build big stations and they get nearer nearer from each other ...
Merging two stations should be great ;)

Václav

I am sorry ... but I am not sure I understood it well.

You think that when two (or more) stations will touch each other, then they should merge into one.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

gauthier

in fact I thought about a tool to merge stations, it would be useful also for complex stations that you can't build in one piece (or difficultly) and when you do a mistake too ...

jonasbb

you could make both stations public. Then they will get merged together.

gauthier

I don't want to make stations public, sorry ...

jamespetts

This is not a bad idea.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

having it automatically happen though is bad - sometimes there are key reasons for keeping stations seperate (it can create unplanned passenger interchanges for one thing).

vilvoh

I support it, but as AP said, not in the automagically way, but merge them manually.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Václav

I don't think so. I wrote that could happen only if they touch each other. For example, you may need to stick railway station to bus/truck station and you see that railway station shall connected original station with any other one and you cannot avoid that. Then both stations should be merged - else you have to do this: destroy one of two original bus/truck stations, build railway station and then rebuild destroyed bus/truck station.

But it is truth that manual merging before building of railway station could be used too.

gauthier

The best way to merge is creating a station merging tool, most of the people seem to agree with that.

Fabio

Quote from: gauthier on May 03, 2010, 09:39:20 AM
The best way to merge is creating a station merging tool, most of the people seem to agree with that.

And i support it too!  ;D

For me, its best use would be when i build tram lines, with going and back directions on two parallel (but near!!!) roads...

MoTw

Quote from: fabio on May 04, 2010, 07:39:31 AM
And i support it too!  ;D

For me, its best use would be when i build tram lines, with going and back directions on two parallel (but near!!!) roads...

That's exactly what I think... :)
I support it, too. (Of course, only manually merging, automatically would cause lots of unwanted effects)
world is like a parachute: it works better when it's open
whenever you feel lost and alone, always remember your calculator is something you can count on
pak96.comic addons

geri

Quote from: gauthier on May 03, 2010, 09:39:20 AM

I also agree on such a tool.

Quote from: MoTw on May 08, 2010, 09:21:04 AM
(Of course, only manually merging, automatically would cause lots of unwanted effects)

+ 1 for me.

Lord Vetinari

As the title says. Of course, it should be possible only between stops of the same company.

prissi

Why not building them adjoined in the first place?

Lord Vetinari

It's usefull for long running games. I have a 100 years old game going on, it's hard to plan that much in advance. I had small neighbouring stops that a couple of decades later became massive adjoining hubs. I know that I can manually rebuild them, but a tool would be more usefull.
It's also helpfull in some cases, for example when there is a street or a track between two stops (as in the case when there are local stations with express tracks in the middle, or when you need to add another bay to a yard that is already surrounded by roads), so that you don't have to build additional useless parts.

Fabio

I would really like this tool.
Maybe, in order to avoid cheating but allowing this:
QuoteIt's also helpfull in some cases, for example when there is a street or a track between two stops (as in the case when there are local stations with express tracks in the middle, or when you need to add another bay to a yard that is already surrounded by roads), so that you don't have to build additional useless parts.
hte two joining stops should be apart no more than 3-4 tiles...

prissi

He programming is easy. But imho joining should be only allowed for adjunkt stations. Increasing range by joining should carry the penalty by being expensive.

Fabio

Quote from: prissi on December 15, 2010, 03:41:27 PM
Increasing range by joining should carry the penalty by being expensive.

This could be a nice compromise.
I propose this price for the use of the tool: the manhattan distance of the nearest tiles of the two stops * the cost of a new level 1 stop.
This way: joining adjacent stops is for free; joining distant stops costs as much as phisically joining them with (useless) stops, and it will be indeed quite expensive.

skreyola

There should be a dialog to choose which station keeps its name.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

Lord Vetinari

Or maybe the order of the clicks: the first stop you select is the one that keeps the name.

skreyola

--Skreyola

Erik

Sounds like a great plan.
I have often enough that stations growing together and I have to rebuild then to make one of it.

But I prefer that the second/last selected station would keep his name.
Like you drag the joining station to the other.

skreyola

I don't mind which way it is, just so the user knows which one will keep its name.
--Skreyola

Fabio

Quote from: prissi on December 15, 2010, 03:41:27 PM
He programming is easy.
Quote from: fabio on December 15, 2010, 03:50:57 PM
I propose this price for the use of the tool: the manhattan distance of the nearest tiles of the two stops * the cost of a new level 1 stop.
This way: joining adjacent stops is for free; joining distant stops costs as much as phisically joining them with (useless) stops, and it will be indeed quite expensive.
Quote from: skreyola on December 15, 2010, 06:02:13 PM
There should be a dialog to choose which station keeps its name.

I would really like to see this extension implemented.
I summarize what it could be like:
- Joining station should cost the manhattan distance between two stations (the nearest tiles if possible) * the building cost of a level 1 station tile.
- The station with higher capacity should keep the name, if the capacity is the same, the one clicked first/last.

Václav

This had already been discussed here, in topic station merge but without clear result. It would be useful to merge both topics.

I, of course, am happy that it can be available - because I build ground CMT* stations with distance 4 tiles of road (sometime only 2 or 3 tiles if local conditions force it) and 2 tiles long - inside one line - but city roads built in circles are distant only 2 tiles.

And sometime (very often) I meet need of merging stations into one while I build underground CMT web - where all stations are long 4 tiles.

So those underground CMT stations very often touch two ground CMT stations. And is very incomfortable to destroy one ground station, build underground way with station and then destroyed ground station rebuild. And what is quite important, there is losing of people - for quite long time.

* city mass transit

Thanks for all - for bringing this idea back to life.

Fabio

Threads merged now, thank you for spotting, Vaclav!

I had noted this request in my favourites list, i bumped it for it not to be forgotten, specially as prissi said it's easy programwise. Now, let's hope someone is interested in making a patch...

gauthier

Lol I completely forgot this suggestion  :o yes it would still be great to be implemented ^^