News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Speed Limit Signs

Started by Bub, January 29, 2011, 11:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bub

Dear Simutrans team, In pak 64 I am aware that there is a sign stating that there is a minimum speed of 80 km/h, but I would like to see other speed limit numbers. Eg. Speed Limit 25; Speed Limit 45; Speed Limit 70; etc. These new speed limits would prevent a fast car approaching a slow car to come to an abrupt stop. Use of this Idea would be highly appreciated.
Thanks,

Bub

Ashley

You can make a roadsign with any minimum speed, it's just a case of graphics and the appropriate settings for the compiled object. See here for some more example road signs:

http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/02936.0/index.html
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Bub

Will the cars know what the sign means. I have the "create a sign" button in pak 64, but I try putting signs such as eg. Dead End; No Outlet; Traffic Light Ahead; etc. and the cars on the road don't seem to respond and react to the sign.

Lmallet

I somewhat fear the day when vehicles will be smart enough to read any random sign and know what to do...

Erik

Are you building new signs with the "create a sign" button?
Then I don't know. I have no experience with this button.
(Is this button also available on pak 128 ???)

Or are you making hole new signals with makeobj?
Then it will work only if the used parameters in the .dat file are defined in the source code.
So you can't just typ a (new) parameter and aspect it will work as you think it is.
Here's a page on the wiki about building signals.
http://www.simutrans-germany.com/wiki/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=de_SignaleDef

A max speed from signals is not defined in the source code.
I'm working on something familiar who could implement this.
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=3713.0
But it's progressing really slow.
(The game still don't recognize the new type of signal.)

Bub

Although I've attempted to download pak 128 many times, all times have tragically a failure.
    Is there a makeobj button on pak 64?

sdog

makeobj is a tool, a separate program, used to build pak sets from their source code and image files. There is no makeobj button.

How did your downloads of the pak fail? Was the download aborted, was it not possible to unpack the file, failed simutrans to load with the pak set or something completely different?

Unless you explain what went wrong in more detail noone will be able to help you.

Václav

I looked into source of pak128 ... And I see signs with any minimum speed have order: min_speed=speed.

... I am not only sure with order single_way=1.

This is code of *.dat file for pak128's highway:

obj=roadsign
name=autobahn_classic_entrance
copyright=Fabio Gonella
intro_year=1930
intro_month=1
retire_year=1980
retire_month=1
min_speed=80
single_way=1
waytype=road
#price in credits, not in cents
cost=150
cursor=autobahn.1.4
icon=> autobahn.1.5
#Direction 4 - South only
Image[0]=autobahn.1.1
#Direction 1 - North only
Image[1]=autobahn.1.0
#Direction 2 - West only
Image[2]=autobahn.1.3
#Direction 8 - East only
Image[3]=autobahn.1.2

Makeobj (or PakHelper) will know what will be created - and of course, cars will know meaning of those signs. If you use PakHelper, making for any available graphic set is easier than with only MakeObj, itself. Only you choose size of pak.

Publish your work files (png and dat) and I will give you final product.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

skreyola

I don't think a new sign is needed, since each road type has an implied speed limit sign (vehicles don't go faster than the max speed of the road type). The routefinder simply needs to not use a dirt road when a paved one is available (and might already, if I'm remembering other comments rightly).
Now, I would support the idea (proposed in another thread) of signs that block a road to commercial vehicles.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

Bub

Where can I get Makeobj, and how do I set it up in sync with simutrans 102.2.2?