News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Oh snap! Blender again: I need a help here

Started by IgorEliezer, January 30, 2011, 03:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IgorEliezer

Well, Blender could be simpler.

I just want to move a mesh from one of its verteces to another vertex of another mesh, simple vertex-to-vertex. Let the pic come!

In AutoCAD, I just click and click, there! It's done ^_^.

In Blender, I click, fail, click, fail, grab, click, fail, undo, rotate view, click, fail, undo, changes modes, click, fail, undo, grab closer, click, fail, undo, grab even closer, click, fail, (@_@), changes mode again, rotate view, grab even closer yet, click, hover here, hover there.... finally it's... o well... >_>

Instead of helping me, I must help Blender to figure out what point I want. But simply Blender messes with me.

Any ideas?

Zeno

Blender version?

Anyway, there isn't a simple way to do that, because not always is as simple as the example you show. Imagine you are working with spheres... which vertexs should be taken as reference??

You should take a look at blenderartists.org where there's a lot of scripts and stuff for this things. Also you can set the 3D cursor to the place you want to move the object, then select the mesh, Ctrl+space (IIRC) and select "object to cursor" or similar (don't remember the exact name). I can't say that will work for you though, but you can give a try...

IgorEliezer

Blender 2.56.

I figured out a way of getting it done.

Element* to snap to: Vertex
Snap target**: center or active

(* - element or point where you move a mesh to, the destination)
(** - target here means element or point of the mesh you will grab from. That's the first time I see a target you don't aim at, but grab from)

That's the result.

Thank for tips Zeno,

Zeno

You're welcome. Great that you did it! :)

Anyway, if you want to customize tasks like that one, it's quite easy going on scripting, if you know how to write python scripts, of course. I've done one to rotate the camera and another one to change the properties of all the materials in the .bend file.

IgorEliezer

You don't know, I had terrible moments with Blender this overnight. D:

I was trying to build a window, I should place the glass frames in the casement, and the snap didn't help at all. It was here I went mad. ;D

Zeno

Tip: have you ever tried to do it all in one mesh (glass, casement and wall), by extruding? I use to do that and it's quicker and easier for me, if the model is not too complex.

VS

In general, I think 3D is rather different from reality. Starting from some primitive and modifying it is far easier than building from parts.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!