News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

96comic.simutrans.entropy.me.uk

Started by Ashley, February 06, 2011, 01:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

Currently running Simutrans stable 111.0 (r4911) with pak96.comic 0.4.10.

Note: Due to a bug in the pakset this server doesn't show up in the server list unless you set it to show all games!

Download Simutrans from: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=8360.0

Download the pakset from: http://entropy.me.uk/simutrans/pak96.comic.0.4.10.zip

This server is accessible over both IPv4 and IPv6.

Screenshot of the map:

Previous savegames can be found here, listed by the date when the server was shut down:

http://entropy.me.uk/simutrans/networksavegames/sim96comic/
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

sdog

My special friend from 128.entropy seems to like pak96 too:

so far he's only blocked one of my lines, and builds his strange cities.

This reminds me, it might be sensible to disable the world tools for normal players in pak96 and leave it only for public player.

Ashley

How does one disable world tools for players other than public, lock the map?

Edit: New map and update of Simutrans to version 101.0.1.

I have also added some logging so I can more easily monitor chat in-game without needing to be logged in.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.

sdog

hehe, server restart saved me from wasting more time with that game, instead of working this evening. yesterday i couldn't resist.

A question, did you kick out that player yesterday? I've seen that both his companies were sent bancrupt one immediately after the other. Not sure if he suicided his game because he couldn't bear our snide comments.

World tools would need to be disabled in the config of the pak set, and consistency of the config needs to be enforced by the server. A more versatile approach, requiring an extension request, would be a serverside list of commands that are blocked.

I should have made clear it was not a suggestion for your server, but a comment on an abuse vector. .

Update
The Montgolfieres (flying around everywhere in pak96) showed a strange behaviour yesterday, about 20 of them started on the same tile, spread out a few tiles and got 'synchronised' back to the starting position. This happened during time of rather large felt lag.

This raises the question, are things like Montgolfieres or clouds wasted bandwith?

Ashley

Yes, they probably are wasted bandwidth... I would be reluctant to start modifying the pakset to remove them though as it starts to introduce a level of organisational complexity that I don't want.

I didn't kick him, I was going to but I saw that his company had already gone bankrupt. If he comes back let me know ;)

prissi

YOu can tune the number of movingobjs in the extended settings. Just make then less likely to ocur.

sdog

QuoteA question, did you kick out that player yesterday? I've seen that both his companies were sent bancrupt one immediately after the other. Not sure if he suicided his game because he couldn't bear our snide comments.
QuoteI didn't kick him, I was going to but I saw that his company had already gone bankrupt. If he comes back let me know

So he must have destroyed his companies himself. I think he came back a little while later, and did his thing again, in a very low profile way. E. g. built vast underground stations connecting far away industries to create cash cows. His behaviour become more and more erratic.

If not so much work was involved in doing all this, i would think he was just a simple troll, answering in a way to upset people the most. Quite worrisome ...

ps.:
there is a beta version of 96 comic from last year:
http://www.simutrans-forum.de/forum/thread.php?threadid=5620
should be roughly one year newer than 0.4.6

Ashley

He'll probably get bored and give it up eventually.

I may upgrade to the newer pak96comic then. Do you know if it's being actively developed?

sdog

I think it's actively developed, the people behind it seem to be in the forum from time to time. especially sojo who is lead dev. Likely it is only a bit slow due to time constraints.

The new pak version is quite a bit more complete in many aspects. I had a brief glance on it and found several things missing in the currently used version. E.g buttons for sliced underground mode, catenary for trains, balanced prices for tunnels and more complete supply chains for industries. The translation is also greatly improved.

sdog

Timothy, that's a nice game you're hosting at the moment. Looks quite beautiful.

Ashley

I just took a look, it's a really well developed map :) I think I'll leave it running a bit longer, the pak64/pak128 ones need to be restarted though as they're pretty much fully developed. Nobody seems to have been playing pak.Britain though...

Edit: Map restarted, version of pak96.comic increased to the beta version 0.4.7 (see first post for more details and pak download location).

Defacto

How do you install version 0,7? I can't find a guide anywhere, and just putting the folder into the Simutrans folder among the other paksets didn't work...  :-[

An_dz

Don't unzip the folder over old pak96.comic (0.4.6) folder. Delete the folder and unzip again.

Defacto

Now, when i try to unzip, it says i can't create the selected catalog, or something like that... it doesn't say why though, typical windows behavior...

Ashley

moblet

Quote from: Timothy on April 16, 2011, 07:30:01 AM
Nobody seems to have been playing pak.Britain though...
I find it impossible to make money building plausible transport networks using pak.Britain, in single player I can give myself a huge pile of cash and ignore debt, in multiplayer I can't...

Ashley

Interest in this server seems to be fairly low, is there anything which would make it more attractive to play on?

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

moblet

sdog

there's already version 4.9 of the pak out, the old version on the server is a bit difficult to play, with some things missing a bit. You could also run a nightly version of simutrans on this server, perhaps this also draws a bit more interest.

Ashley

Ah, I will upgrade the pakset then and start a new map.

Nightlies are also a good idea. I'll see what I can do.

An_dz

When you do it, I will try to play.

I think the next version will be even better. Probably planes and maglevs will be available.

An_dz

Hey Timolthy, I created a map for the server with 0.4.9. What do you think?
[Deleted] - Updated one 2 posts below

Ashley

Sorry An_dz but loading that game causes Simutrans to crash for me :( I was using 110.0.1 with pak96.comic 0.4.9.

An_dz

Bad, only works with nightly. Sorry Timothy.
I'll see what I can do.

Edit:
Finally the upload completed, I was having some problems. Test this save Timothy:
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/ComicServer.sve

Ashley

Ah that is a lovely map, the only problem is it has trees (usually netgames are better without them as it uses a lot less memory and makes the savegame smaller).

Is there a way to remove all the trees from a map easily?

Edit: Found a way! Will run the map soon.

Edit #2: Map has been restarted using An_dz's map. This is now using a new version of pak96.comic - 0.4.9 - see the first post of this thread for download instructions.

An_dz

Cool, good you liked it. It took me long time to create it.

All cities were manually added, some had a little planning, specially those on that east metropolis.
The rivers were manually created too. The height map also had changes, specially on the beaches.
The west mountain, the highest place on the map, was created from a flat ground. The highest level was 3.

Some 'easter eggs' (curiosities):
Join Ville (Northeast) is the name of my city: Joinville.
Sweet Water (South) is the translated name of a city from my State. Água Doce.
Islanders (Northwest island), Mountain Hole (West), High Village (West) all got their names for the place where they are.

And I hope everybody likes the autobahn. What you all think about the 4-way cross?

I just noticed one thing, I've added oil rigs but 0.4.9 still don't have oil ships. :D. Anyway next version will have.

Bergente

Just had a look at it and I must say that this is a very nice map!
At the moment I'm very busy with work but I will defenitely give the map a try once I've some more free time left.

An_dz

As a promise, I'm playing this server, my first online game in Simutrans. I'm the late here. :D
It's really cool, bad there's only one more player. I'm working in a bus system on the northwest cities. I like creating bus lines on non-planned cities. You need to think a lot on where place the stops.

Also linked two factory in south. For now I'm getting around 60% profit. And my first bus line is getting overcrowded in just few minutes.

Vonjo

Ah, finally... :)

How is my company (Napik) right now? Is it still there?
I can't play for a few days. I still have to fix my computer. :(

An_dz

So it's you Vonjo. I was wondering who was Napik.
Your company is really good, it's getting around 80% profit. No way your going bankrupt. But the stations are getting overcrowded. :)

sojo

How can I play your game? Where I get the login-data?
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

Ashley

Ashley

Map has been restarted (same map as before).

Edit: Map restarted, new map + Simutrans version, and new version of pak96.comic.

Edit: Server restarted, same map but new Simutrans stable version.

uci

Server did not respond! (14-01-2012)