News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Roads and rails updates

Started by The Hood, February 20, 2011, 10:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

I've been spending some time updating various road and rail graphics, and here's a quick update, hopefully finding it's way into SVN soon.

Updated winter rail graphics - the idea is to use the same ones for all rail types except HSR track (seeing as track under snow ought to be the same colour whichever way you look at it!)

Updated road/rail crossing graphics:
- wlindley's unprotected crossing now has snow graphics
- wlindley's 1850 crossing now has added gates

- new crossing type with city road and gates

I'm planning on re-doing the crossing graphics for the modern crossing as (a) I noticed the barrier is only on one side, (b) it's for drive on the right and (c) it's only a half barrier whereas I think full barriers would be more common for the sort of roads simulated in simutrans.

jamespetts

I love those little crossing barriers!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

Would it be possible to make and add the new "Y" shaped intersections for rail?

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

The Hood

It's possible, but I don't want to - I think the way these graphics work by flipping huge sections of track every time a train comes along looks very unrealistic so I'm not planning on implementing it in pak128.Britain.  If it's ever done such that these structures represent the only allowable route through the tile, I would do it.

jamespetts

I agree with The Hood on this one - I don't understand why it was implemented that way in the code. Incidentally, AEO (and somewhat on topic) - how are your lovely bridges coming along?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

ӔO

good point, they do flip around too often on some sections.

I really like the new gates, but I think, if possible, since it is a little cramped, maybe a guard house to the side might not look bad.

Right now, I'm waiting for march break to come up, so that I'll have free time to do the bridges.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

A guard house would look good indeed, if it will fit properly.

The Hood

Unfortunately there's no real space for that to fit on.  Maybe at some point I should do some eyecandy objects for things like that to build next to tracks...

The Hood

Half and full barrier crossings - unfortunately at the minute I can't figure out how to get them to both appear at the same time...

jamespetts

Those look lovely (although perhaps the barriers could be a smidgen thinner?). As to using them both at the same time - does Pak128.Britain (Standard) have the tarmac road that Pak128.Britian-Ex has? The tarmac road is designed to be a cheap, low grade road of the sort that might be used on non-urban C-roads or unclassified roads; perhaps that would be a candidate for the AHB crossing, leaving the asphalt road to the full barrier type?

The Hood

Dwachs has now updated the code - I've gone for AHB on 145km/h track and Full on 175km/h+ track for now, but I might add AHB for other road/rail combinations later.

In the meantime - two new roads:

Macadam road (essentially an upgraded dirt track)

Concrete road

jamespetts

Looking excellent! Is that concrete road the same as the one in Pak128.Britain-Ex or is it an improved version? It looks as though it has more texture from the screenshots. If you're in the business of improved roads, a better version of my somewhat lacklustre tarmac road in Pak128.Britain-Ex would be rather good!

Also, well done for remembering the MacAdam road issue raised by somebody a while ago as being different from (and better than) the "dirt road".

The Hood

It's an improved version, although the dat is the one from experimental.  Should have checked really that you'd done one already, although it was very easy to make - just take the whites from the existing roads and lay them over a new base texture rendered in blender.  I'll take a look at the tarmac road, although it's difficult to envisage it being anything other than lacklustre (those would be the streets_paved_with_gold)

jamespetts

I've finally got around to getting these into the game - they do look good! One suggestion: perhaps the macadam road could replace the cobblestone road in the intercity road timeline? I think that I'm correct in thinking that cobblestone roads were used only in towns.

The Hood

That's the idea.  I've just not got round to doing it yet, in fact I'm not quite sure how it's done.  Is it possible to define several intercity roads like is now possible for city roads?

jamespetts

This is what I have in the Experimental version:

intercity_road[0]=dirt_road,1700,1824
intercity_road[1]=macadam_road,1825,1902
intercity_road[3]=tarmac_road,1903,1932
intercity_road[4]=asphalt_road,1933,2050

greenling

it´s possible to make chooseabele rail-road crossing?
I Missing Chooseabele rail-road crossings in Pak128.Britain.
greenling
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

The Hood

It isn't possible in any pak as far as I know - the game decides for you.

ӔO

here are some fixed images.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/fixes.rar

fixed

concrete road - pink pixels removed
dc centenary - extra pixel removed
crossing afb - special colours fixed
crossing ahb - special colours fixed
crossing asphalt gated - special colours fixed
crossing cobbles gated - special colours fixed
crossing snow - special colours fixed
crossing unprotected - special colours fixed
masonry viaduct road - transparent colour fixed

needs fixes

3rd rail vertical on wrong side
also affects 3rd rail + DC, 3rd rail + AC

I've also attempted an intermediate between macadam and cobblestone, which results in something that looks like chipseal. I'm pretty sure the snow image for macadam can be recycled for this road, because they're not too far off from each other.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Good work! By "chipseal", do you mean "tarmac"? There is already a tarmac road type, albeit with graphics that I cobbled together not very well, that could probably do with graphics such as those that you have drawn here.

ӔO

Quote from: jamespetts on August 20, 2011, 10:10:51 AM
Good work! By "chipseal", do you mean "tarmac"? There is already a tarmac road type, albeit with graphics that I cobbled together not very well, that could probably do with graphics such as those that you have drawn here.

chipseal is also known as "bitumous surface treatment" and it's one of the super cheap methods of maintaining a road.

I guess they are quite similar in look and construction with a tar like substance binding a top layer of aggregate.

Colour safe chart:

greenling

The new Pictures looks good out
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!