News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Total Passenger VS Total Population

Started by colonyan, October 24, 2008, 04:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonyan

All corresponding buildings generates passengers indefinitely as long as they have connection to destination.
   This creates unrealistic amount of passengers compared to total population.

There should be always only some proportion of population traveling at any time.

This help control the profit player earn by limiting the total travel demand.

Once a few day in game hour, compare all passenger on map and total population.
   If former's proportion exceed some proportion (say for example 13% of total population), halt the passenger
   generation until next calculation.

[con: this feature will require or limit the game's "freedomeness" and requires a fixed value which require some balancing.]

prissi

Well, every bilding per city will generate only once or twice a month some passengers. And most of them are local or workers, i.e. not in transit very long. Thus I do not think your proposal will change much.

And as one of the OpenTTD developer said it: This is not reality but a game. It just looks like reality. But with 1km long trains and passengers traveling several days to work and back.

colonyan

Oh, this is much less passenger generation than what I've imagined.

Yes, of course this is a game.
But I still think that balancing the number of people traveling among the total population seems logical and reasonable.
Sure, it doesn't need to be realistic, but wouldn't it better if its more logical?

whoami

A limitation like this (better: slow-down instead a halt of generation) would help against the (unrealistically) overflowing nodes of the passenger network.

It would be easily possible to compare passenger "in transit" with the global population, but not with the ones of  single buildings.

colonyan

Finally, think of it now, this problem has lot of things to do with overcrowded transfer stations...

z9999

This was said many times by prissi and Hajo, "City size" is not the number of peoples. Then, "Total inhabitants" on "City list" window is not the number of total peoples but the sum of "City size".

If you don't like many passengers, you can decrease them by changing "passenger_factor" in simuconf.tab.

colonyan

I see, I misunderstood city size for population count.
I remember I've heard that one city size count for 100 population.
Or is city size other type of barometer? Is it counting area of city too? I'm just curious.

-I know this is a game and simulation at the same time. But to call it simulation, I'm little bit
unsure of passenger coming out without  any question, no matter how many ppl already in
circulation.
-It is not the I'm disliking the level of number of passenger appearing on the network, but
  the fact that passengers come out as if there were indefinite number of people residing
  in any building.

prissi

The total number of passengers is fairly constant; only at the beginning of the game most of them are "no route". If you do not believe, you can check it in the world statistics ...