News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

please add projected finances

Started by ansgar, March 10, 2011, 06:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ansgar

Hi,

the following wishlist bug was reported[1] by brian m. carlson in Debian:

One thing I would like to see in the finances window is the projected
year-end total.  This could be easily computed as
current_finances/portion_of_year_elapsed.  I frequently find myself
using dc to do this, and it would be nice if simutrans could display it
itself.

You can reach the submitter under 600250-submitter@bugs.debian.org and add comments by writing an email to 600250@bugs.debian.org.

Regards,
Ansgar

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/600250

jff

Hi,

please can someone give me a statement about this post?

Thanks!

CU
Jörg
Jörg Frings-Fürst
D-54470 Lieser

Threema:  SYR8SJXB | Wire:     @joergfringsfuerst | Skype:    joergpenguin | Ring:     jff | Telegram: @joergfringsfuerst

DrSuperGood

Pointless feature? It may be useful for experimental which aims for balance and scale but in standard Simutrans year scaling is so poorly defined that it is meaningless.

Specifically the payback time for a system is defined by time, and not months. The length in time of a month is flexible. As such the longer months are, the faster stuff pays back. A 4 million pak128 train can pay back in 1 month if the months are very long but take several years if they are very short. Knowing how much you will make by the end of the year is thus pointless since it might be a short term projection (a few minutes) or a long term projection (several hours).

That said, one could add some sort of projection just to clutter the UI. This could either be the profit made in the last 12 months, or expand the last month profit by 12.

Ters

I don't even look at the finance window (except to gloat at the graph). The bank balance at the bottom of the screen is all I need, and even then only for the first few game years.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Alternative answer: Basically, if a suggestion/request doesn't tickle the fancy of anyone able and willing to code it, it doesn't matter if it's a good or bad suggestion, since it will, alas, not come to pass either way. Alas, one downside to being an all-volunteer community.

prissi

The margin in the finance window is like this trend anyway.