News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Addon's in central location

Started by grampybear, March 11, 2011, 04:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grampybear

I have been playing ST now for several years, currently using Pak128 vs 110 modified with lots of addons, and truly love the game so please don't take this as a complaint. My French is bad and Portugues even worst but as I read thru the forums I have noticed a lot of development work being done in these forums concerning addons and other improvements but they don't seem to ever arrive in any central location. The official ST addon site has not been updated for a very long time. Items created for Pak128 are somewhat interchangeable but are scattered all over ST world, is this by design or simply a low priority to compile them in one place? 

vilvoh

Well, there's a addons site that includes some of them, but the point is that we usually don't include all addons released at the forum as some of them are unfinished, unbalanced or poorly painted. We could change the policy but there's a lot of stuff to test and ask for permission.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

grampybear

I appreciate that and realize a lot of work goes into creating for ST but once an addon is approved by some one to be an acceptable product it seems to get lost or scattered in many locations making looking for them a task. It seems the guild lines are in place to control quality of addons that make it into a pak, but what about the addons that are good but not good enough, perhaps exposure and game play would make them better.
If this is a case of available time to keep track of approved addons, I would offer my service if someone could get me started in the right direction.

sdog

Quote from: vilvoh on March 11, 2011, 05:45:55 PM
Well, there's a addons site that includes some of them, but the point is that we usually don't include all addons released at the forum as some of them are unfinished, unbalanced or poorly painted. We could change the policy but there's a lot of stuff to test and ask for permission.

It's a bit sad, that quite a lot of work gets lost in this process. But this should remind authors that thei addons need some care after release to stay in use and not fade away. Opening sources and giving wide permissions is one effective way to do so. It's not enough however, some integration or bundeling is also necessary.

gwalch

Quote from: grampybear on March 11, 2011, 04:34:51 PM
(...) My French is bad and Portugues even worst but as I read thru the forums I have noticed a lot of development work being done in these forums concerning addons and other improvements but they don't seem to ever arrive in any central location. The official ST addon site has not been updated for a very long time. (...)
You're right, many french developpers put addons only on snfos site... But, as you can see on the following link, all this site has an english traduction (and it's not easy for some of french peoples  :P !)
http://www.simutrans-france.fr.nf/doku.php?id=en:projets
On my own, i don't like the site addons.simutrans, because i never find what i search for ! I find interface very bad...and i have never put mine addons on this site (it can change in the future, i don't know ?)
Other problem is state of a lot of addons : not well balanced, poorly painted...
French Elements Creator :
-By Rail with trains and trams : X3800 Picasso and BB36000 Astride - trams from Nantes, St Etienne, Strasbourg, Montpellier, Lyon, Bordeaux, Le Mans, Reims...
-By Road with Trucks : Main painter for the "french trucks company", with trucks from 50ies (Willeme "Squale Nose") to 2000 (Renault AE500 "Magnum) and a lot of trailers... and with Trolley and Buses : Irisbus Cristalis, Man Lion's City, Irisbus Magelys...
- Industry : Collaborator for french food with Wine and Cheese...

vilvoh

Quote from: gwalch on March 28, 2011, 05:59:22 PM
Other problem is state of a lot of addons : not well balanced, poorly painted...

That's an important point, and the main diference between forum addons and stuff hosted at addons.simutrans.com. We try to upload quality content, but sometimes is very hard to find it.

About the site interface, we can always open a discussion.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

An_dz

The worst part for Simutrans is that it's always under development. (Looking over addon side)

ModTheSims2 is the best site dedicated for addons. You can easily get packages for The Sims 2 and 3. But The Sims is a static game, we have version 2, and after some years we got 3. Simutrans is always changing, but it's always the same. It's not easy to know if that addon will work.

Also ModTheSims2 have a huge moderator team, only for the addons.