News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

special construction and map editing tools

Started by uci, April 08, 2011, 09:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uci

I would like to highlight here some inconsistencies (in my opinion):

1. "plant trees." tool appears both in special construction tab and
map editing tab. It can be removed from the later, since there
exist anyway a more specialized version of it, called "plant trees" dialog.
Also, the similarity of these two names is a little unfortunate.

2. "Power line bridge" tool does not have an image drawn over the icon.

3. "Enlarge map tool" should be moved from special construction tab to
map editing tab, since it has a more radical effect on the map (like pak64).

What do you think?

VS

(2) is a known issue, we're sort of waiting for someone to provide the graphic that says "power line" & "bridge" & fits in 32*32 pixels. I gave up... ::( Anyway, I would leave this open for now, since Fabio will be providing a whole set of new bridges and they will likely use a icon pictogram to show that they are bridges. That could be reused here, making the icon simply a power line and a bridge symbol. So, waiting for the pictogram discussion when it comes up.

The other two are valid issues, too. I'm not that good with this stuff though, so let's see if I can redirect this to the expert :) Ditto for your other report.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

uci

With your permission I attach here a configuration
file (menuconf.tab) which corrects some errors
reported in this topic and here
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=7148.0

Changes:
1. plant tree shortcut changed to '$'
2. edit attraction shortcut changed to '\'
3. edit tree shortcut removed
4. "plant trees." tool removed from map editing tab
5. "enlarge map" tool relocated to map editing tab

Hope everything else is OK.

VS

Dirk told me that he will look into this soon - I'll leave this to him.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

DirrrtyDirk

Ok, I fixed a couple of the issues.

The plant tree shortcut was supposed to be a "§", given by pak64* but apparently that doesn't really work anymore - and I'm actually wondering wether we really need a shortcut for that tool anyway... but that's a matter for prissi to solve for pak64 and we will follow.

Same goes for edit attraction shortcut - changed it to current pak64 settings. So "/" is for vehicle tooltips only - and edit attraction no longer has a shortcut of its own.

The simple tree planting tool is now only part of special construction tools, while the "add forest" and the more complex tree planting tool are now part of the map editor only.

Enlarge map icon was moved to map editor toolbar.

Added some icons for sliced view, show grid, zoom in&out and network to main menu bar.

* Since pak64 is the standard pak for simutrans, we try not to divert to far from its settings. A couple of keys are different, but I'd like to keep the numbers of those as small as possible. That's also why I'm not keen on assigning new keys easily - they might be used for new functions of simutrans in pak64 in the future - and we should be able to follow then.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

uci

If I understand correctly, neither "plant trees" nor "plant trees."
tools will have a working shortcut. My personal preference
is that the simple tool "plant trees." should have a shortcut
(since it belongs to all players) and the complex "plant trees"
should not. Anyway, these can be customized locally.

DirrrtyDirk

Ok, let's be precise:

We had a broken character for 2 different tools. The shortcut for dialog_tool[23] was simply removed, while the shortcut for general_tool[11] was set  back to pak64 standard, which is the character "§" - but unfortunately it doesn't work in game anymore (in fact, it is not even shown in the key-help in game).

It appears to be broken in both GDI and SDL versions, and in both pak64 and pak128. So it is not a pak128 specific problem. Either the code needs to be fixed, or a different standard key is needed in pak64 (which will then also be used in pak128). For the time being, the corrected standard shortcut remains in the config file - but unfortnately it doesn't work at this time.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

uci

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on April 13, 2011, 02:10:57 PM
...which is the character "§" - but unfortunately it doesn't work in game anymore (in fact, it is not even shown in the key-help in game).
a not so common character on some keyboards.

Thanks for the details.

Erik

About the 'power line bridge' button icon.
I would make it.
It's radiately simple.

Know someone where I can find the graphics of the normal 'power line' button?
So I can match the colours?

Erik

Okay thanks.
I have to remember this link.  :D

On the attachment the icon I have build.

VS

Included... (but it didn't get into the alpha)