News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

TileCutter 0.5.9 Release

Started by Ashley, April 13, 2011, 04:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

A new release is available, please see here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9111.0

If you do encounter any issues while using TileCutter please submit a bug report by posting in reply to this thread with the following information:

1. Circumstances and description of the issue
2. tilecutter.log and TileCutter5.exe.log (if present) - These can be found under "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\tilecutter\" on Windows, "~/Library/Logs/tilecutter.log" on OSX and "~/.tilecutter/tilecutter.log" on all other platforms.
3. Copy of the tilecutter.config file - This can be found either in the program's installation directory, at "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\tilecutter\" on Windows or "~/.tilecutter/tilecutter.config" on all other platforms.

Release 0.5.9
ADD: Better preferences dialog now lets you set:
     Path to makeobj, log file location, default pak size for new projects, debug level
FIX: On mac opening a dialog and then switching away from/back to TileCutter no longer brings wrong window to foreground
FIX: Layout of dat editing dialog to prevent text from being cut off
ADD: Several new translation strings added to SimuTranslator - please translate them!
CHANGE: Final cleanup of UI to remove old way of doing things
ADD: Update translations with latest values from SimuTranslator
FIX: Translator properly handles translation files with newlines in improper places
ADD: New French translation from mEGa
ADD: Mac specific distribution in app format

What's new
French translation
Mac OSX application bundle in .dmg format
Better preferences dialog

Notes

Please see here for TileCutter documentation

All the paths in the main window are relative to the project save location path. This is intended to allow you to put all your work files in one directory, and then to be able to move or zip that directory and send it to someone else while preserving all the links to the images. Also note that the images are not saved with the project file, only links to them are (this may change at some point).

It's also worth pointing out that in order for the one click exporting to work (e.g. makeobj integration) you need to have filled out the correct details in the dat editing window. The image array information is automatically generated and appended to whatever you type into this box.

Download
You can download this release of TileCutter from the following link for the Mac:

TileCutter_osx_0.5.9.dmg (15 MB)

And for windows:

TileCutter_win_0.5.9.zip (5.4 MB)

You can also download a source distribution:

TileCutter_src_0.5.9.zip (232 KB)

NOTE: The source distribution requires that you have Python 2.6 or better installed already, and depends upon the wxWidgets library.

Source code can be obtained via Git:

https://github.com/tbentropy/tilecutter

I recommend upgrading to this version over all previous versions of TileCutter, especially the 0.3 branch.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Václav

Thanks. It runs (of course - from previous version).

I only have small idea - to improve setting way to makeobj to the same way as is used for other files (project files, png files and dat files). It is my last wish on this tool - for this time.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Ashley

Ah you mean a "browse" button and dialog? That's a good idea, I'll add that for the next version.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.

Václav

Yes - I think browse dialogue.

seeker

@Timothy,

It would appear it doesn't like dinosaurs like me (Win98SE user).

TileCutter 0.5.9
    Installed to E:\Simultrans\Project\TileCutter

TILECUTTER.EXE.log

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tilecutter.py", line 21, in <module>
  File "main.pyc", line 22, in <module>
  File "logger.pyc", line 20, in <module>
  File "config.pyc", line 19, in <module>
  File "config.pyc", line 69, in Config
  File "ntpath.pyc", line 96, in join
TypeError: object of type 'NoneType' has no len()

(Long sigh....)

"Ahhhh...."

(Drags out soapbox.)
(Steps up on soapbox.)

"Ahem! When I were a yungin', we used to walk 20 miles in the snow, and program assembly in debug! We didn't have no fancy, schmancy MASM 1.0!"

"Yu yung whippersnappers wit' yer dang MochaJava and pythyBOA, programmin' for MS Vasta, GeeWhizNux, 'n HeyMACK! Gol' dang it, ain't yu never heared about backwardsness computobility? Its for us backwards folks! We got rights, too!"

Back to serious. Am I out of luck?

Ashley

Try the source version, should run on anything if you have Python installed :)

seeker

Am not trying to be mean-spirited, just constructive. I have Python gathering dust on one of my machines, but it seems like overkill.

AFAIK, TileCutter doesn't do anything I can't already do with PaintShop, and makeobj in a DOS window. I just thought it might be more convenient, and wanted to try it.

It is ironic, though, that while Simultrans runs fine on Win98, I might need sophisticated programming software to run the tool. Perhaps in the interest of avoiding additional queries, you might add a disclaimer to the Windows download link, as to what versions it will run under. (There really, really are, still, a significant number of Win98 users out here.)

Ashley

Given that Microsoft dropped support for Windows 98 in 2006 (a full 5 years ago) I don't feel the need to specifically support this platform, sorry.

Václav

Seeker, I am worried that Timothy is right.

I tried to search for something about running of Python on Windows 98 - and it seems that problem would be in Python, not in tool (it means TileCutter).

And what did I find? That version of Python until 2.5 would run on Windows 98 - but tool needs version 2.6 or newer. And what is more important, try to use wxwidgets for ansi, not for unicode - because Windows 98 does not understand unicode well.

But over all what I wrote above, read this page, please.

seeker

Please don't misunderstand me. I am not looking for any one to cater to me, or re-write code for backwards compatability. But I have seen this issue crop up in several venues related to game modding. I think it is poorly understood by both programmers and end users.

Firstly, make no mistake, Microsoft didn't stop supporting Win98 because it was obsolete, but because it cut into profits, and undercut sales of their "Next Big Thing". But this created a ripple effect: Developers of 3rd party programming languages gradually also stopped supporting it. I had an interesting conversation with a programmer in the Freelancer community, who wanted to maintain backwards compatability, but couldn't because of this issue. I do understand it.

On the other hand, in an exchange with a Simcity4 programmer (who will remain nameless),to whom I'd recommended he add a note to his (20mb) program description, that it would not run on Win98, he basically told me "Kiss off, tough s##t!". Yet another programmer, in the same community, re-wrote another Simcity4 tool, (Java-based) that would run, just for me.

Secondly, I understand the desire of programmers to move to the latest cutting edge development environments. It is exciting to master something new and create useful apps and tools. The downside - I personally know an IT professional who doesn't know what hexadecimal numbers are.

Thirdly, I suspect many modders have more recent OS's and may not have access to older machines and OS's to test on.

BUT, having said that, Simultrans has gone global. How many different language forums on this site? Is it fair to assume that all of those user have the latest greatest OS's? In my ancient formative years, I read much about what constitutes good programming practice. The most compelling lesson was, "Who will use the tool?" Is it for other (knowledgeable) programmers, or (perhaps, clueless) end users.

Now, I do own several computers, one running WinXP. Unfortunately, it is down because I did not have the same hands-on control over the OS that I have with Win98, and it got Trojanned, something I still haven't completely straightened out. I have played with Python & Blender. Lots and lots of bells and whistles. But for my simple programming needs, I still use DOS, BASIC, and HexEditor. That's just me.

So, as someone who has salivated over a new program or tool, and been dissappointed that I couldn't run it, I at least understand it. In my (negative) Simciiy4 experience, I was about the 20th user to report the same problem (cryptic log entry messages, on program abort), but the 1st to find out it was OS version related. The previous 19 were simply told they were doing something wrong and to re-read the installation instructions. (A side note: when I finally ran it on WinXP, I ran into graphics issues. Others reporting the same issues were told it had nothing to do with the code, it was the fault of the "notorious" shortcomings of a widely used graphics chip. Programmer hubris. Still, the tool, and its programmer are held in high esteem in the SC4 community, because it is a useful tool that does tasks that otherwise could not be done.)

To bring this lengthy sermon to a close, the one overriding fault I find mentioned in all the Simutrans forums is the failure of the documentation to keep up with the development. Save yourself some aggravation, add the "Requires Window version XXX" to the docs.

Václav

Quote from: seeker on April 23, 2011, 03:46:20 AM
On the other hand, in an exchange with a Simcity4 programmer (who will remain nameless),to whom I'd recommended he add a note to his (20mb) program description, that it would not run on Win98, he basically told me "Kiss off, tough s##t!". Yet another programmer, in the same community, re-wrote another Simcity4 tool, (Java-based) that would run, just for me.

How many different language forums on this site?
Is it fair to assume that all of those user have the latest greatest OS's?
If I understood well, this is OT and should be split off - also with your posts, Seeker (I am sorry but it is needed):
1. It is not a truth that SC4 does not run on Win98 - but because it needs more powerful machine to it can be played well, then...
2. Ten (Czech, German, French, Dutch, Svensk, Chinese, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese - and Russian)
3. as I have knowledge gained by observing(?) this forum for very long time, you are last one using Win98 - because I left that OS two years ago

Ashley

At the risk of ending up thoroughly off topic, seeker, why are you still using Windows 98 exactly?

seeker

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on April 23, 2011, 05:44:26 AM
If I understood well, this is OT and should be split off - also with your posts, Seeker (I am sorry but it is needed):
1. It is not a truth that SC4 does not run on Win98 - but because it needs more powerful machine to it can be played well, then...

1) You are right, I did go off topic. But a less knowledgeable user wouldn't necessarily understand the error log entry I posted, and would assume a bugged installation or program.
2) You misunderstood. SC4 runs fine on Win98, with a decent graphics card. The modders's tool could not be run.

@Timothy... I'll drop this, I'm not really complaining, just noting the problem. Why Win98? It works, lacks useless bloat, easier to get into its guts for troubleshooting, already paid for once, less a target for the current generation of hackers, highly compatible with DOS (yeah, I still use that, too), yada, yada,.... Besides, I'm a crusty, old curmudgeon.

mEGa

Hi Timothy,

Tilecutter 0.5.9 doesn't run on Ubuntu Natty Narwhal (Last version of this Linux OS), but version 0.5.8 good running.
Here error message :
~/TileCutter_src_0.5.9$ ./tilecutter.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./tilecutter.py", line 21, in <module>
    from main import run
  File "/home/mega/TileCutter_src_0.5.9/main.py", line 35, in <module>
    import tcui, tc, imres, codecs
  File "/home/mega/TileCutter_src_0.5.9/tcui/__init__.py", line 14, in <module>
    from FileControl import FileControl
ImportError: No module named FileControl

I notice that probably a module python misses.
I sought which package included FileControl, without success.
Have you some idea ?

Regards
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

Ashley

FileControl is part of TileCutter, it was removed before version 0.5.9 though. It looks like the module manifest for the UI module wasn't updated to signal its' removal however.

If you open the file tcui/__init__.py and remove/comment out the line:

from FileControl import FileControl

It should work. I'll produce a patched version asap.

mEGa

Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

l3enjamin

A possibly self-centered request: Since I am making large scale skyscrapers, can you modify the app so that the z-dimension can be set to 16 as x and y?

Ashley

As far as I know the largest value the game supports in the z-dimension is 4, if that's incorrect then I can change it of course.

l3enjamin

Quote from: Timothy on June 02, 2011, 03:47:06 PM
As far as I know the largest value the game supports in the z-dimension is 4, if that's incorrect then I can change it of course.
I haven't tried with the largest height, but I have made a building in 5x5x8 without problem.

The Transporter

Thanks for this nice Tool
Is it possible to save the path for loading and saving files?
The program start always with the default path from the user directory. I don't like to move the files everytime

The Transporter

Tilecutter doen't work correct with asymetrical Grafics (1x2, 2x3). The cutmask could be placed correct, but the cut does not agree with the position of the mask.

Ashley

Can you post an example image and project file which shows this please?

The Transporter

Sorry, the files are to big for this forum. I try it 3 times and after a fault message the forum doesn' anything. i have to restart everytimes. the 3 files are less then 100 kb, but its to big

Ashley

The Transporter

Ashley

The Transporter

Ashley

Hm, yeah it does look like it's broken for non-square buildings. I guess you're the first person to try making one!

Carl

Hmm, I *think* I made some 2x3 and 1x2 buildings for Pak64.Experimental using TileCutter since the latest release -- and they came out ok...

VS

I used TC in the past for nonregular buildings and everything went fine... But I can't remember what was the version I used.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Ashley

It may be a regression in 0.5.9 of course, I'll have to look into it though. Been a while since I did any Python :P

Ashley

Working on a fix for the nonregular buildings, and going to integrate the other requested features too. Watch this space...

The Transporter

Ashley

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9111.0

New version with fixes for all the issues raised in this thread.