News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Citylist: fictionalised English style city names

Started by jamespetts, August 30, 2009, 02:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Attached is a citylist file containing 523 fictionalised English style city names for use with Pak128.Britian for those who prefer fictionalised names to go with the game (I, for one, find it confusing when real names are used for towns in a fictionalised world - why should Preston be South of Dover...?). There are enough here to have large maps with no repeated names.

To use: extract the file into the /simutrans/Pak128.Britain/text folder and rename it to citylist_en.tab. Don't forget to back up your original citylist first.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

mwoodburn81

I am carious, how did you generate those names?  Surely you didn't make each one up by hand.

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Badger's End ;-)

Dunno whether it was conscious or subconscious. :)

(Either way, a nice tribute)

EDIT: "Isaac Falls"? Oi! My balance is perfectly fine, I assure you. XD

jamespetts

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on August 30, 2009, 02:29:17 PM
Badger's End ;-)

Dunno whether it was conscious or subconscious. :)

(Either way, a nice tribute)

EDIT: "Isaac Falls"? Oi! My balance is perfectly fine, I assure you. XD

Even after beer? ;-)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Alcohol makes me sleepy far quicker than it would take for me to lose my balance. :D

Oh, and forgot to say, but meant to: Very very nice list. I have a hard time believing a significant portion isn't real - so I'd say it's very well done. :)

jamespetts

Thank you :-) There might be one or two in there that, by dint of coincidence, actually are real (in fact, it is rather improbable that there aren't any that are), but, whether coincidentally real or not, they are all invented. I rather like inventing city names, as you might see... ;-)

mwoodburn81

jamespetts

jamespetts

sdog

i wanted to suggest something regarding city names for quite a while now. i really get confused in my map when glasgow is in the south and bristol in the south. therefor i rename the 5 largest cities in maps according to their position.

my suggestion is to introduce another column in the city list with a rough position. this will be used in a weighting function when city names are randomly picked during map generation.

an entry of NW would make it more likely a town in the northeaster sector of the map is named like it.

TygerFish

I just discovered this!  Kudos to James, and I think it bears bumping!

jamespetts

My new approach is to extend greatly the randomised city name generation function, which is used if there is no city lists file. With the latest version of Experimental and the accompanying configuration files, generate a new game with no city lists file and see what happens. One can get a far greater variety of names that way than by making lists (although, of course, if anyone wants to use this list, they're more than welcome to do so!).

prissi

Standard has already the possibility to make random list out of 36*36 random syllabils. That is quite a lot of names.

jamespetts

It is indeed. The only change that I made to this feature on Experimental was to make the possible lists longer, and actually to write a large number of plausible English-sounding parts of town names in the en.tab (that part of which should work fine with Standard).

Reddog785

Quote from: sdog on August 31, 2009, 03:06:59 PM
i wanted to suggest something regarding city names for quite a while now. i really get confused in my map when glasgow is in the south and bristol in the south. therefor i rename the 5 largest cities in maps according to their position.

my suggestion is to introduce another column in the city list with a rough position. this will be used in a weighting function when city names are randomly picked during map generation.

an entry of NW would make it more likely a town in the northeaster sector of the map is named like it.

Similar things happening to me, Croydon or something is the size of a metropolis and London the size of a hamlet.

EDIT: Stupid me, I bumped this from Christmas. Sorry guys :(

jamespetts

That is why, I think, fictional names are much more sensible.