News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Simple network graph drawer

Started by ojii, May 05, 2011, 04:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ojii

Hi everyone

I love three things: Simutrans, train/transport network graphs and programming, so writing an utility script that draws those network graphs for my Simutrans games was an obvious thing for me to do.

So far it outputs either (ugly) ASCII or (also ugly) PNGs, doesn't handle 'complex' graphs yet and there's no text/colors on the pictures, but hey, I got something:

ASCII Output:
Sakai Metro
~~~~~~~~~~~

###---***---***---***---***                              
                                                                                 \                            
                                                                                   ***                        
                                                                                    |                        
     ###                                             ###---***---***---***---***---###---***---###            
         \                                                                          |                        
           ***                                                                     ***                        
               \                                                                    |                        
                 ***                                             ###               ***                        
                     \                                            |                 |                        
                       ###---***---***---***---***---***---***---###---***---***---###---***---***---***---###
                     /                                                              |                        
                 ***                                                               ***                        
               /                                                                    |                        
           ***                                                                     ***                        
         /                                                                          |                        
     ***                                                                           ***                        
   /                                                                                |                        
###                                                                                 ***                        
                                                                                    |                        
                                                                                   ***                        
                                                                                    |                        
                                                                                   ***                        
                                                                                    |                        
                                                                                   ###

PNG Output (EDIT: Now with colors, EDIT2: Now with legend):

Next up will be naming of 'major' Stations (the big black dots, where several lines join or cross and the end stations of lines), correctly handling line colors, a legend for the line colors, and titles for PNGs.

Currently it takes it's input from a yaml file that looks like this:

name: Sakai Metro
lines:
   - name: Aomorisen
     color: darkgreen
     stations: Sagamihara - A16 v> Sagamihara - A15 v> Sagamihara - A14 v> Aomori Eki > Aomori - A12 / U12 > Nagasaki Eki > Hamamatsu Eki > Okayama - A11 / U11 > Okayama - A10 / U10 > Okayama - O1 / A9 / U9 > Okayama Eki (Sakai Shinkansen Terminal) > Nishi-Okayama Eki > Higashi-Sakai Eki > Sakai Eki > Sakai T6 / A4 / U4 > Takamatsu - T7 / A3 / U3 > Takamatsu Eki > Takamatsu - T9 / A1 / U1
   - name: Utsunomiyasen
     color: green
     stations: Utsunomiya - U18 ^> Utsunomiya - U17 ^> Utsunomiya - U16 ^> Aomori - U15 ^v> Aomori - U14 ^> Aomori Eki > Aomori - A12 / U12 > Nagasaki Eki > Hamamatsu Eki > Okayama - A11 / U11 > Okayama - A10 / U10 > Okayama - O1 / A9 / U9 > Okayama Eki (Sakai Shinkansen Terminal) > Nishi-Okayama Eki > Higashi-Sakai Eki > Sakai Eki > Sakai T6 / A4 / U4 > Takamatsu - T7 / A3 / U3 > Takamatsu Eki > Takamatsu - T9 / A1 / U1
   - name: Kakogawasen
     color: saddlebrown
     stations: Toyota - K1 > Toyota - K2 > Toyota - K3 / MM6 > Nishi-Toyota Eki > Toyota - K5 > Higashi-Toyota Eki > Sakai - K7 > Kakogawa Eki  
   - name: Nanbokusen
     color: turquoise
     stations: Toyota - N1 > Toyota - N2 / TR8 > Toyota - N3 > Naka-Toyota Eki > Toyota - N5 v> Toyota - N6 v Higashi-Toyota Eki v Sakai - N8 / SM5 / S8 v Sakai - N9 / S7 v Sakai Eki v Sakai - N11 v Sakai - N12 v Kawaguchi - N13 v Kawaguchi - N14 v Kawaguchi - N15 v Kawaguchi Eki v Kawaguchi - N17  
   - name: Tozaisen
     color: pink
     stations: Okayama - T1 / MM1 v Okayama Eki (Sakai Shinkansen Terminal) > Nishi-Okayama Eki > Higashi-Sakai Eki > Sakai Eki > Sakai T6 / A4 / U4 > Takamatsu - T7 / A3 / U3 > Takamatsu Eki > Takamatsu - T9 / A1 / U1

The ultimate goal is to somehow extract all that info from simutrans savefiles.

Once I get the initial version to work (no savefile support yet), I'll release the sourcecode with docs on how to use it as well as probably a small website that runs the script for you ;-)

Just thought I'd share this little sneak peak at what the bored me does.

prissi

It would be rather nice, if you could code this in C-code, so this could be done directly within simutrans. So far most algorithms I saw choked on more complex layouts.

ojii

Yes, it only works on very simple graphs right now.

As for C: I don't know C, all my attempts at coding in it failed (I guess I'm spoiled by the easy Python). So I'll continue coding this tool in Python, once it becomes mature, either someone can port it to C, or we make it callable from C (that would require the C code to be compiled with python installed).

What would help more would be a specification on how the savefile format looks, so this can be done outside of simutrans (which would be better imho).

prissi

As written countless times before the savegame format can and will change with every version. Thus why integrating such a tool into simutrans is the only way to go.

ojii

Quote from: prissi on May 06, 2011, 02:59:22 PM
As written countless times before the savegame format can and will change with every version. Thus why integrating such a tool into simutrans is the only way to go.

Yea I know, that was just me dreaming ;-). What *could* be integrated into simutrans is a way to export the YAML file I use to generate the graphs.

Anyway I'll probably release the code later tonight or tomorrow, so if anyone wants to port it into simutrans, go nuts.

Ashley

Quote from: prissi on May 06, 2011, 02:59:22 PM

An alternative would be to take the C library concerning reading/writing savegame files and provide a Python interface to it.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

jamespetts

The difficulty is that there isn't a library concerning reading/writing savegame files: the reading/writing code is scattered all about the main code, and relies on the code that is reading the data to know the exact byte order in which the code writing the data wrote them; every time that new data are added to the save routine, the byte order changes, and, if the code does not recognise the new format (by version numbers) and act appropriately, all data after the change will be as junk.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Václav

And where is download of this? I would like to try it.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

MagnusA

Václav

I am finding mostly software that ojii used - but all I found (in forum) is that it was written in Python (instead of C) - but it is irelevant for me because I have installed it for using of TileCutter.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní