News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

central warehousing

Started by grampybear, May 17, 2011, 03:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grampybear

Playing with nightly pak128, the addition of several industries from pak128 britian and lots of addons, also playing with "just in time" on.  I like to use a central warehouse ( made up of extension buildings and a main structure) for my food industry. Everything the modern grocery store needs comes here from all different sources and is then sent out to the stores as needed. I have the proper number of trucks for each type of freight( piece goods,cooled goods) for each store . my problem is always the same, the warehouse fills up with one or two items for one store, far more than needed, and then stops receiving. presently the warehouse is over loaded with beer for one store and the store is full, while the other store are empty.  is anyone else playing with a similar setup and have you solved the overloading problem?  this also happens to a much larger scale when i turn the "just in time"off.  thanks for any suggestions.

Edit 5-18:   would it make any difference if I changed the classification of my warehouse from "building extension" to" factory"?  The chain would then be:
brewery ___________warehouse____________multiple grocery stores
                    beer                                       beer
this would make the contract of the grocery store for beer with the warehouse and not the brewery.  again thank you for any suggestions

greenling

excuse me what fot a pakset did you use?

greenling
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Antonin

Could someone please explain the concept of central warehousing?  I have searched the forum for information on how to do this, but have not found an explanation.

I am playing with pak128 Britain right now.  I have several scattered grain farms, and I want to link them to a central warehouse facility.  From the central warehouse, the brewery will obtain grain.

I have tried to build a central warehouse by first building a stop, and then surrounding the stop with bulk goods warehouse extensions. But how do I link the farms to the warehouse so the trucks coming from the farms will drop off their loads at the warehouse? 

I did set up a farm-to-warehouse route, but the trucks don't pick up grain at the farms and therefore don't have any loads to drop off at the warehouse.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Fifty

Quote from: Antonin on June 18, 2012, 09:23:38 PM

I have tried to build a central warehouse by first building a stop, and then surrounding the stop with bulk goods warehouse extensions. But how do I link the farms to the warehouse so the trucks coming from the farms will drop off their loads at the warehouse? 

I did set up a farm-to-warehouse route, but the trucks don't pick up grain at the farms and therefore don't have any loads to drop off at the warehouse.

You will need to build a route from the warehouse or freight yard to the consumer first. Essentially, a warehouse is just a transfer station for goods. Once there is a route through the transfer station, your goods will move. There is no need for special buildings or linking.

While warehouses are often useful, they require more fine-tuning than point to point services. A mixture of both usually works best.
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

Antonin

Thank you for your help!  Your advice worked.  I see now that my mistake was in not setting up the *entire* network [farm to warehouse and warehouse to factory] first.

Thank you again!