News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Great Britain simulation in Simutrans Experimental

Started by Carl, May 25, 2011, 03:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

some help please

Hi,

i do not know where to put the great britain save file and pak, i have downloaded simutrans experimental and i can load that up - it take about 2 mintues to.

i then try and load save game - but the file UK2013-.sve is not there.

could you please offer a step by step guide on how to get this save to load please ?

Also there are many things i do not understand with this simulation, signals for example - is there a beginners guide for this ?

and i have regestied for this fourm a few hours ago, and have not been sent an activation link yet - any ideas ?

Thank you.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Please email a quick note to the email address in my signature and I'll manually activate your account. :)

edit: Please note: Ticket received; account activated.

jamespetts

If you are using Windows, you need to follow the following steps to install Simutrans-Experimental and get this saved game to work:

(1) download Simutrans-Experimental Complete from here
(2) extract the entire contents to a subfolder in your "Program Files" folder;
(3) download and install this and this
(4) download Carl's large saved game and pakset combined files from above;
(5) extract UK2013-20.sve into the "My Documents\simutrans\saves" subfolder;
(6) extract the whole "pak.ngb" folder into the same folder as that into which you extracted the contents of the Simutrans-Experimental Complete download above;
(7) create a shortcut to Simutrans-Experimental in your start menu or desktop for easy access later (this step is optional);
( 8) run Simutrans-Experimental;
(9) you will be presented with a menu on starting asking which pakset that you want to choose - select "pak.ngb";
(10) select your language from the languages menu;
(11) when the game has loaded, select "Load game" and choose UK2013-20.sve from the menu by clicking on it.

If you follow all of these steps, you should be able to load Carl's splendid saved game. I hope that this helps.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ZBOX

@ Isaac.Eiland-Hall - thank you for activating my account.

@ Jamespetts

- Thank you for the step by step instructions, I have done what you said and have got the map working ok, Great credit to the author carl baker aswell, the map is amazing, this must of taken alot of work.

just one thing though, the map does freeze up and it wont respond sometimes - would this be that the map has alot of stuff being proccesed and the map being huge ? or could it be my laptop - its an i3 2.5ghz win7 and 3gb of ram ?

Also i would like to play the normal simutrans simulation game, but find it alittle complicated, like from laying track to understanding the basic signals, I have read abit from the in-game guide, but still do not fully understand, I have only played a bit of openttd before and just about understand the basics of that game, but i do prefer simutrans - is there a guide/video for beginners ?

Cheers again for help.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quotethe map does freeze up and it wont respond sometimes

Probably autosave is on.

jamespetts

Glad that you managed to get it working; the freezes might be caused by autosave; how often do these occur, and how long do they last? It is a very big map, and Experimental is more complicated than Standard, so you might find performance slow on less capable machines, although yours is at least of the current generation.

As to general guides to playing "normal Simutrans" (I assume that you mean Simutrans-Standard as distinct from Simutrans-Experimental?), there is a wiki manual that you might find helpful. You might also look at the help centre forum to see whether anyone else has had the same question as you and to see what the answers are, or, if nobody has asked the question before, ask a new question. If you want to learn more about Simutrans-Experimental, have a look at the FAQ.

Welcome again to Simutrans, and happy playing!

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Carl

Hi zbox,

Glad you got the map working, and thanks for your comments. Sorry I was unable to reply previously - I've been away this week.

Autosave is on and will cause the map to hang at the beginning of every third month. Depending on your setup this might take a while. You might notice a pause when the map does its route recalculations, too, as this can be computationally intensive depending on your setup. This may happen several times per in-game month.

ZBOX

Hi carl,

No problem, thanks for sharing your map, its really impressive, you must of put an insane amount of work into it. I have turned the auto-save off now, and it does seem more stable.

Do you have any plans do upload newer version's of your map in the future ?

Cheers.

Carl

I do plan to upload newer versions of the map, as soon as there is enough interesting progress to share. As mentioned above, real life has been demanding all my attention recently and I haven't been able to make too much headway. But fear not, I'll get there eventually...

Simidoodler

I'm confused, I'm trying to get your pakset and it is a rar file but I don't have a rar file extractor so could you help

Simidoodler

hi
I want to ask how you started off your map which lines did you start?

Carl

Hi Simidoodler,

I started by building the whole of London's rail network. I then built the city of London around this. After this I gradually extended out of London on each line, building rail and towns as I went. Once I had most of the south east done, I started adding trains and schedules.

Simidoodler

Thanks Because I usually build 1 trainline per map and build 1 traintrack. Its nice hearing someone elses way of doing it

Carl

Since I've recently moved to south-east London, it seemed like a good time to clear up the mess in the Croydon area. This is the result:

Fullsize here

The big task here was making the junctions north of East Croydon correspond better to reality, in order to make possible fully accurate platform allocations at East Croydon. I've also prepared the ground for the Croydon Tramlink services to be added -- this suddenly seems far more pressing now that I live nearby :)

For reference this is what the area looked like in March 2013: http://i.imgur.com/GzDH5wq.jpg

Carl

Am making the most of the time before I start my new job by -- finally! -- making some concrete progress on the GB map. Here's a new screenshot from Leeds:

Full size here

Since last update, I've added the following:

• Leeds to Manchester Victoria via Bradford/Halifax
  • Services from Hull to King's Cross, Manchester Piccadilly and Doncaster
  • Liverpool to Scarborough Transpennine Express
  • Remaining West Yorkshire local services: Wakefield to Huddersfield, Knottingley to Leeds
Once I've added the Harrogate Line and the Hull to Scarborough line, I'll be headed back to Lancashire to complete the routes up to and including Blackpool, Preston, Blackburn, and Colne.

Carl

Time for a new version of the savegame, methinks:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/UK-Feb2014.rar (27 MB download)

As ever, the pak folder is included in the download.

Here's an aerial view of the West Yorkshire area:

Click here for fullsize

Leeds is in the top-right, with Bradford a little west of it. (West in isometric terms, that is, so above-left on this image.) Huddersfield is on the far left of the image with Halifax above it. The town in the bottom centre is Barnsley, with Wakefield to its north in isometric terms.

jamespetts

Sarlock

Wow.

Visited relatives in Halifax many years ago and walked all over the town (and the moors).  Amazing thing is that I could recognize it from the screenshot just by the layout before I even knew which city was which.  Very accurate!
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Carl

Thanks folks :) It's good to be back working on this again.

Also, I just noticed that this topic has passed 30,000 views. :o Thank you all for your sustained interest in this project over the last few years!

Carl

Time for another update on the GB map! Since last I wrote, I've been working on Cumbria. Here's the updated savegame and pak folder.

The following lines are now operational:

• West Coast Main Line -- as far north as Carlisle
  • Cumbrian Coast Line -- including Barrow-in-Furness
  • Leeds to Settle and Carlisle Line
  • Morecambe Branch
  • Windermere Branch
Here's a screenshot of Preston, where many of the recently-added services pass:

(Click here for fullsize)

From left to right, the trains are: TPE Manchester to Glasgow, Northern Liverpool to Blackpool, Northern Blackpool to York, Virgin Euston to Edinburgh, and Virgin Glasgow to Euston. This is around 54 minutes past the hour: for comparison, here's the real departure times at Preston for that time. (The train in the siding north of the station will form the Preston to Hazel Grove service 25 minutes or so after this.)

Other changes include graphical updates to the Southeastern Class 375, which is ubiquitous in Kent.

I've also implemented some of the recent timetable updates on the West Coast Main Line. Until the December timetable update, there was an hourly Euston to Wolverhampton service and an hourly Birmingham to Edinburgh or Glasgow service. These have now been combined, so that there is one hourly service from Euston to either Edinburgh or Glasgow via Birmingham. This is now in effect on my map, too.

jamespetts

greenling

Hello Carl
Have you in RAR that you be post have be packing new vehicle in it?
And do the Pakset and the save work with the new 11.22?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jamespetts

Carl's pakset should work with 11.22, and the link in his post above contains the pakset as well as the saved game.

greenling

Hello Jamespetts
I ask that there in the last two simutrans exp relase it gives changes that can be change the game play a little bit.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Carl

Hi Greenling -- I haven't released a new version of the British Trains sources yet, since there weren't too many new ones to add (and I didn't have much time in late 2012). I should do so soon, though, to account for all the files I re-painted in southern England.

Carl

It's time -- at last! -- for a new video! Today we take a trip along the Transpennine North route from Liverpool to Leeds via Warrington, Manchester and Huddersfield.

As I mentioned, most of the north of England is complete now -- just some odds and ends to finish off in the North East (like the T&W Metro). Soon I'll be headed north of the border...

Here's the north east as it currently looks on the minimap.

Trains to Whitby, Saltburn, Bishop Auckland, Sunderland, Hartlepool, Hexham and Middlesborough are all operational. Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead are built, but as you can see, North/South Shields and Tynemouth/Whitley Bay aren't yet in existence.

jamespetts

Impressive! You might want to update your signature, too.

Sarlock

Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

kierongreen

Lovely - as it happens I'm just headed to North Shields today! :p

KneeOn

Carl, have you got any more units to add or have we got the entire fleet of current units in full livery? Also, any chance we might see a BR set for the entire fleet (some of which would be fantasy units I know) and the NSE/RR/IC liveries? I'd love to have an entire range of

Carl

There's definitely an update due on the GB trains pack -- I'll try to get around to this soon. Thanks for the reminder!

The BR fantasy set is something I'll think about after I've finished the GB map! Are any of the fantasy liveries available in Pak.128-Britain Experimental?