News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Great Britain simulation in Simutrans Experimental

Started by Carl, May 25, 2011, 03:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planestrainscomputer

It would be really nice to see some laxed allocations (e.g. non Gatwick Express trains turning up on Gatwick Express vice versa or 455's to Reading) Enjoying the updates and can't wait to see the 700's mix in with the 377's on the Thameslink lines.

Carl

Thanks ptc! There are already a few lines running with mixed stock on the map, e.g. CrossCountry routes with both Voyagers and HSTs, and some Southeastern routes with both 465s and 375s. The challenge with doing this is making different kinds of stock run to a common timetable. (This was actually pretty difficult for the CrossCountry routes.) I expect it would be fine for Gatwick Express and for Reading 455s. Do 455s get to Reading very much?

planestrainscomputer

Quote from: Carl on March 01, 2017, 03:21:13 PM
Thanks ptc! There are already a few lines running with mixed stock on the map, e.g. CrossCountry routes with both Voyagers and HSTs, and some Southeastern routes with both 465s and 375s. The challenge with doing this is making different kinds of stock run to a common timetable. (This was actually pretty difficult for the CrossCountry routes.) I expect it would be fine for Gatwick Express and for Reading 455s. Do 455s get to Reading very much?
Yes, it happens on most days when 450's are needed on the Windsor line with the 458/5s playing up. The 455's usually run in 8 car formations. Same thing with the Hounslow lines which get the 455/450/458/5 all running at the same time like in your London map.

Lewis

Hmmm.. just a quick look on google and I cant seem to find anything about a class 455 to reading apart from someone going on about the toilet problem.

planestrainscomputer

Quote from: Lewis on March 01, 2017, 07:48:02 PM
Hmmm.. just a quick look on google and I cant seem to find anything about a class 455 to reading apart from someone going on about the toilet problem.
I had a look on the internet as well and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Ig7PNeAfM   ;D So it does happen enough to be uproar about it, even now that the 450's live on the line.

Carl

Haha, I cannot believe that actually exists. Well, that seals it. I will add a token 455 on the Reading route :) I need to repaint the 458s too, now I think about it.

Lewis

Class 124? if they still ran today. What about a Class 126?

Carl

Took a month off working on this - went on holiday for a week and since then have been engrossed in Path of Exile, Elder Scrolls Online, and Caves of Qud. Back to Simutrans now though!

Here's the updated savegame. Dropbox killed all its public links this week, so previous links may not work. I've updated a few of the recent ones, but I'm not going to go through all 30 pages of the thread!

Screenshot of Southend and Rochford. At Southend,the lines from Fenchurch Street (heading west) and Liverpool Street (heading north then west) almost meet.

Full changelog:
- Class 321 (Greater Anglia) graphics (major update)
- Updated Class 357 Graphics (minor update)
- Gravesend & Gravesham rebuilt (+1 bus line)
- Tilbury and docks rebuilt
- Southend & south east Essex rebuilt (+5 bus lines)
- Clacton-on-Sea rebuilt (but not its surrounds, yet)

I've left Kent behind for now. It's all been rebuilt except for the areas surrounding London. As I mentioned above, I'm giving London a fairly wide berth for now as it will be the trickiest area to rebuild. So I've covered up to and including Gravesend and Tonbridge, but have left Dartford and Sevenoaks for later. Now it's time to fill in the gaps in Essex, and then move up to Suffolk.

Nice work on the DMUs, Lewis!

Carl

A little more progress to report with an updated savegame. It's mostly Ipswich and north Essex that have been updated this time. My Suffolk geography has improved and I now know which part of the world Babergh District Council governs...

This screenshot shows Colchester (left) and Ipswich (right), with the respective branch lines to Clacton and Felixstowe. The Sudbury line heads off-camera in the top left. On the top right are the lines heading to Norwich and Lowestoft.

Looking at this screenshot makes it clear to me that the normal road bridges are the graphical priority to improve. The bright white doesn't look great.

Full list of changes:
- Updated train livery for Class 90 and Mark 3 carriages (Greater Anglia)
- Clacton surrounds and Harwich rebuilt (+5 bus routes added)
- Ipswich rebuilt (+buses to Hadleigh/Sudbury, Melton, Felixstowe, Colchester, and the Shotley peninsula added)
- Felixstowe rebuilt
- Sudbury to Haverhill bus route added

Next up? The remainder of Suffolk, before moving up to my childhood home: Norfolk. And now that Felixstowe is done, I'd better look into some more freight routes...

NoMorePacers

Lewis

Or maybe some Loco-Hauled passenger trains like the WAG Express or the class 37s used by Northern and Greater Anglia.  ;D

Carl

Yes, that's a good idea! I'll be doing the Great Yarmouth line soon so that would be a nice place to start. It'll probably be a while before I hit Cumbria or Wales.

railh

That's an impressive game. Have you got the UK map as ppm file (or is there any way to extract it from the game)?

railh

Unfortunately, the dropbox link does not work.

Carl

Sorry about that - try now. The new dropbox link sharing system seems a bit hit and miss.

fam621

Why is it that my map isnt has famous has your's? :(

NoMorePacers

I suppose fam621 that your map is less ambitious and exciting for people to look at then Carl's is.

fam621

Yes, but the pictures are too big and over 64KB.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

fam621

Are the login details for there the same or do you have to make an account for there James?

jamespetts

I suspect the latter - you may want to ask Isaac about that.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

fam621

Carl, when I (try to) load the pakset, it crashes for some weird reason, can it be looked at please asap.

Lewis

Thats most likely to be your version.

fam621

I redownloaded it and even so, it still crashes. I think still, its the software which does not like it.

Carl

I haven't tested the map with Extended at all, but I understand that some people have had it working before. If the freshly-downloaded version doesn't work, then that suggests something has changed in Extended.

jamespetts

Is the source code of this pakset available? If so, then Fam621 could compile it afresh with the latest Extended makeobj and get it working that way.

Carl

No, not really. Some of it is from pak64 and related addons; much of it has been adjusted over the years, and most of the trains are built from scratch. It's not a pakset in the traditional sense (as I keep saying), but simply the folder associated with this single map.

The British Trains for Pak 64 download contains all the new trains, at least:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=11781.100

Am I to understand that no pak files compiled with old makeobjs will work in Extended?

jamespetts

I have not specifically tested this - I am afraid that I have quite a queue of bug reports and other development work with the result that backwards compatibility issues are rather lower down the list of priority than, say, balancing or crashes when a current pakset is being used.