News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Making some Japanese objects appear and accessing them in my pak 128

Started by JackVerheydt, June 01, 2011, 12:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackVerheydt

For several years now, I have been downloading some of the fantastic collection of objects (ships and planes) from the addons presented in the several pages covering these in the Japanese Simutrans forum (http://japanese.simutrans.com/index.php?Addon128[/b][/b][/b], and was able to experience the satisfaction of seeing them appear in our standard depots, but not in the lists that can be seen by pressing &/) etc, where objects such as buildings etc. are visible and accessible to users. I have recently decided to start downloading many of their trains and trams, and some of their buildings, too, but here I am encountering some problems, especially with addons such as buildings and some non-vehicular items (which I hope to use later in a World Map, in the area where they belong, i.e. where Japan is located).

With the trains and trams I have little trouble when they are in WinZip, but unfortunately there are many items they uploaded in Win.Rar or .lhz, especially most J(.)R vehicles, with the use of which unzipping programs I am not familiar.  In WinRar there are many questions where you must know what to fill in, and with .lhz you are told that these programs require the use of lha, which I do not have, let alone know how to handle. Is lha the same as lhz ?
With WinZip, I notice that when you extract the pak.file from it, as they tell you to, it also appears in a regular square folder. Why this duplication? Is one supposed to extract it twice or just once  ?

The other obstacle is that Simutrans has no "Depots" for such things as buildings etc., so I cannot make these addons visible somewhere from where I could access and use them in my landscapes. Unfortunately, I do not speak Japanese. Is there anyone among us who has experience with the Japanese Forum, uses it like I am trying to, and can give me some tips on how to make the non-vehicle items visible and usabe? Or a native Japanese who is sufficiently fluent in English, perhaps ? Many thanks (domo arigato gozei mashita ?)  in advance for any help I can get. Sayonara to all ???, Jack Verheydt.

P.S. I am using Simutrans version 110.0.1.
Don Quixote.

DirrrtyDirk

Try 7-Zip it's free and should be able to handle all kinds of archives.

Non-Player-Buildings can be accessed via the public player / map editor functions.

The japanese addons work exactly the same as all other simutrans items do.  ;)

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Václav

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on June 01, 2011, 04:23:24 PM
Try 7-Zip it's free and should be able to handle all kinds of archives.
Yes. I don't know if all but great many surely. But at first they have to be downloaded healthy. My experience says that IE is not able to download some archives right - and kill them. So it is better to use Firefox (I have not experience with else browsers) for downloading of archives excluding rar and zip.

It handles:
zip, rar, lzh, tar, tar, 7z, bzip2, gzip (gz) and some other. Files from japanese.simutrans.com are mostly of type rar, lzh and zip. So will not have problems with opening of those archives - if they are healthy (not damaged).

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní