News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

[in devloppement] High buildings

Started by gauthier, November 02, 2008, 07:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: gauthier on November 02, 2008, 07:38:53 PM
Hi all,

the problem is this :

It's not that these buildings are ugly (they aren't very nice) but in very dense cities : there are ONLY these buildings.
Plus : I find level 60 too small for the highest buildings.

the project : create many new buildings for pak128 wich have a higher level than 60 BUT there must are various building to have the highest level.

I have already begun this project with these buildings :

http://img1.imagilive.com/1008/famille.PNG

I'm making snow view for these buildings.

the highest level is 80.

Post here your city buildings and ideas !

I'm new right now to this, but to make things a bit more interesting:

You know how you have the small construction site, the small reddish ground and yellow consttruction vehicles which comes before every new building, it could be changed into one which has cranes constructing something like a half or 3/4 unbuilt (probably a concrete skeleton) building as a construction site, before these new better buildings appeared.

I know this is a simulation, but it look a still unrealistic to have those small construction sites for these huge good-looking buildings...

Anyway, it was just a thought...

Added:
To make the game interesting, you can also add both construction sites: smaller one for smaller buildings, bigger one for larger buildings (skyscrapers, etc...)

gauthier

You're right but I can't change this, it's a programmer's work ... but Prissi is to busy at the time.

Instead of changing ST, I can make buildings with crane but they doesn't necessary appear before high buildings and it would stay a long time before replacing by a complete building.

Sorry I can't do anything for you  :-\

DirrrtyDirk

The problem is that there is only one graphic that has to fit all building levels. From a small one story bungalow to huge skyscrapers - and I think a small construction site for skyscrapers is less baffling than a huge one that only produces a small building. So IMO the current way isn't that bad.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

gauthier

There should be various construction sites to be chosen by the addon creator. We would be sure that there will be the good construction site.

DirrrtyDirk

IMHO that's just a waste of time and resources. Everything like that will make simutrans a bit bigger and a bit slower - and a bit harder to maintain. I doubt this is worth it.

emaxectranspoorte

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: emaxectranspoorte on December 20, 2008, 01:43:50 AM
Thanks, Gauthier. :-)

I think that, above, was supposed to be a wink, and a smile, for some reason, I don't have any smileys in the Quick Reply box, below.

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: emaxectranspoorte on December 20, 2008, 09:52:53 PM
for some reason, I don't have any smileys in the Quick Reply box, below.

That's because it's just what it is: a Quick Reply box. For full features you have to use the normal "Reply" link - there you get all smileys, attachments, etc.

emaxectranspoorte

Thanks for for your help and also for reminding me, Dirk. :)

Is it allright if I call you Dirk?  :-\

gauthier

I have painted a couple of new buildings during the last week, I will finish them soon and show them of course ;)

DirrrtyDirk

gauthier

Hi Dirk  ;D

hum ... building of "high.pak" don't appear in the citybuilder  :-\

gauthier

They have appeared again in r2185 ...
Someone wants to drive me crazy, I know it ! :(

Václav

Quote from: gauthier on November 02, 2008, 07:38:53 PM

I don't like quoting but I have to do that - dark buildings on the left of city hall are nice (not beautiful, only nice), also grey buildings with stripes on edge (on the right end of picture) but light grey buildings with blue ?windows on the right of city hall are very ugly.

First called buildings look similar to this skyscraper

Most, Czech republic

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

emaxectranspoorte

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooow... :o I would wistle on the keyboard typing, but don't know how to. ;) :D

Nice Photos, Vaclav. :)

EDIT: Good one, too. ;) ;D

gauthier

Quotebut light grey buildings with blue ?windows on the right of city hall are very ugly.

I thought same just after testing this building  ::)

I will replace it with an other looking like your Czech skyscraper  ;)

the almighty snark

Quote from: gauthier on January 07, 2009, 02:57:41 PM
I thought same just after testing this building  ::)

I will replace it with an other looking like your Czech skyscraper  ;)

Good idea, they indeed dont go very well with the back skyscraper.

Václav

So. Here is else high building.

Prague, Czech republic

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

gauthier

Thanks, they're nice ;)
Maybe I will make the Tour Montparnasse of Paris too ...

Except buildings of the commercial district "La Défense", this tower is the only one in Paris.

gauthier

It's the building that will replace current RES_SNFOS_02.

Do you prefer the two on the left or the two on the right ? (the difference is between each window).

Don't worry about the roof, it's not finished ;)

emaxectranspoorte

The most important are resistance to earthquakes and safety of the buildings.
Which do you think is more resistent to earthquakes and safer and secure ones (I'm talking here fire escapes, flooding and other emergencies)?

But if they are considered a reality, I think all of them are beautifull architectural types and also safe and secure ones.

So, I'll choose the 2 ones on the left side. :) Anyway, I think it should be your choice because it's your work.

VS

I like the ones on the left better.

I am curious about changes to the top...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

gauthier

QuoteAnyway, I think it should be your choice because it's your work.

Thanks but I ask you because it's an addon I make for the community ;)

So it will be the two on the left  ;D

gauthier

it's ready ;)

There are two buildings, one with level 80 (current max level of all SNFOS high buildings) and one with level 40.
Each one has two orientations and a snow graphic.

[attachment deleted by admin]

emaxectranspoorte

*applause*

Good work, gauthier, IMHO. :)

VS

gauthier

thanks  ;D .

You see, it's not very nice in architecture, it's almost the mirror effect on south windows ...  ::) (just a sky picture found with my friend google  ;D ).

vilvoh

Why do they have a shadow at south and east sides if there's nothing that may cause it? It only happens in first floors..

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

IgorEliezer

As architect (almost there ::)) I give you my approval:

[WIN]

gauthier

QuoteAs architect (almost there Roll Eyes) I give you my approval:

[WIN]

:D :D :D

QuoteInsert Quote
Why do they have a shadow at south and east sides if there's nothing that may cause it? It only happens in first floors..

It's just a decoration, witheout this the buildings looks naked. There are similar shadows on Skyline, it'sure that it won't be realistic if there is no building befront  :-\  but it makes the building much more realistic if you place it in a big city  :)

gauthier

If you want me to update the downloadable files, you can ... you MUST ask me for that !

+ you can name some unnamed buildings because my mind is not plantyful for names :D

still unnamed :
_ RES_SNFOS_03
_ RES_SNFOS_05
_ RES_SNFOS_06

_ COM_SNFOS_01
_ COM_SNFOS_04
_ COM_SNFOS_05

_ IND_SNFOS_01

Some of them aren't in the current file, I'm updating it ...

gauthier

last work ! RES_SNFOS_07 (you can name :D ).