News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

[in devloppement] High buildings

Started by gauthier, November 02, 2008, 07:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VS

Nice.

The concrete futuristic factory with burger on side made me laugh... that is how food is made in future! :D

COM_04_*
RES_02_*
RES_05_*
These could almost go into the set :)

But you have some pieces of trees high in air ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: VS on January 24, 2009, 06:15:43 PM
The concrete futuristic factory with burger on side made me laugh... that is how food is made in future! :D

Should we name it "Soylent Green"? :D :'( 

gauthier

QuoteBut you have some pieces of trees high in air Roll Eyes

ooooooooooooooooooops xD
I will remove that :D

QuoteShould we name it "Soilent Green"? Cheesy Cry 

Of course but I don't know what it means :(

DirrrtyDirk

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

VS

:s ... ? What can the internet offer after searching for "throwing up smiley" instead of textual emoticons? You don't want to go there, trust me...

Gauthier, how do you make snow? It seems so easy, but every time I try, it looks wrong.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

vilvoh

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

gauthier

It's simple but a bit boring if you have very complex buildings ...

I replace all surfaces by a color, to make a small effect of elevated (because snow isn't flat) I add sides with other colors. (see the screenshot to have a chance of understanding ;) )

I do this for all buildings of a picture (sometimes, for similar roofs for example, I use copy/paste function :D ).
Since I have prepared BIG pictures (1024*512) full of snow with different lightings ... I took a snow tile in the game and repeated it to make a picture full of it.
I copy this picture several times and make several lightings with Photofiltre.

After that, I copy and past with MS paint using transparency colors ...

VS

Václav

Quote from: IgorTekton on January 26, 2009, 11:41:19 PM
Good concept, but too much colorful. :)

I don't think so - but combination steel/concrete/glass skyscrapers with brick houses looks very strange.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

gauthier

QuoteI don't think so - but combination steel/concrete/glass skyscrapers with brick houses looks very strange.

... * thinking * ... with a good imagination ...

I'm a bit fed up with concrete buildings so I tried that ;)

gauthier

Same mix brick/steel/glass with a residential building :

vilvoh

I'm agree with VaclavMacurek, however I wouldn't say they look strange but sometimes the design is a little repetitive, specially in the case of brick surfaces...all floors look like exactly the same and the only parts that differ between them are glass surfaces.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea and some of the buildings but as they are very high, you need to introduce some variations or small details every few space, for breaking the visual monotony, but keeping the style of the whole. It's just a suggestion... :)

Jhonny

Download these buildings are not yet available?  :D

gauthier

download and SNFOS web page will be updated all saturdays so wait a few  ;D

QuoteDon't get me wrong, I like the idea and some of the buildings but as they are very high, you need to introduce some variations or small details every few space, for breaking the visual monotony, but keeping the style of the whole. It's just a suggestion... Smiley

I think so but ... How I could do that ? except open windows I haven't ideas ... The problem of the texture (taken on PatrickN's pak128 picture) is that the texture can't be properly aligned and especially it's very ... small but I didn't found other one  :(

Anyway the texture of the wall isn't very seen behind windows.

vilvoh

Play with different windows designs and sizes. Use other color schemes (blue, white, light greys) An example:

gauthier

Oh nice ! I'll make it tomorow !

for instant : IND02 => an atomic toys plant ;)
(We had food of dead human bodys with IND01 so ... :)  )

VS

Reminds me of the Jules Verne cannon for Moon expedition...

gauthier

QuoteJules Verne cannon for Moon expedition...

(not a bad idea ...)

EDIT : I need your help, how I could make this building less repetitive ?

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: gauthier on January 30, 2009, 09:12:27 PM
Oh nice ! I'll make it tomorow !

for instant : IND02 => an atomic toys plant ;)
(We had food of dead human bodys with IND01 so ... :)  )

Toys! Toys! Toys?

IND02 = Requiem for a dream OR Gone with the wind?

COM06 = Greening Business

RES08 = Mermaids Eyes

gauthier

QuoteIND02 = Requiem for a dream OR Gone with the wind?
no no => atomic toys plant  ;D

EDIT : last work ... a simple skyscraper as you see ...

vilvoh

IMHO, this building design doesn't seem repetitive. It's bright and the glass effect is really cool...personally, I would remove that tree from rooftop and put a swimingpool or solar plates for example.

Btw, If you want more ideas of buildings and windows designs, take a look at CG textures buildings section.

gauthier

last release, all problems fixed (nightly compatibility and RES_SNFOS_07 black glass on the higher one).
The download is on the page, the page is updated ;)
=> http://villeme.dyndns.org/snfos/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=5

gauthier

(sorry for triple-post)

I'd like to test a building with a great tree in front of it (not on the roof this time :D )...(Yes I like trees :D )or maybe make some exotic gardens ...

I thought to a sequoia :

you know these huge trees ...

I don't know how to draw a tree so if someone can draw a sequoia (about 350 px height and 50 large), it would be very cool  ;)

gauthier

nobody for the sequoia ?  :'(

last work : (a bright metal texture will be added).

gauthier

RES10 : (RES09 waiting for the sequoia ^^ )
A piece of retro look with bricks ;)
See the covered gardens at the top of these buildings.

VS

Erm... bricks as big as windows?

The top is very nice.

DirrrtyDirk

Actually even bigger than windows :o.

But the tops are really nice!

And on the Sequoia:

We are apparently now in the rather unique situation in younger ST history, to have more active code developers around here than active painters - at least it feels like that. And that makes finding someone for such a special project... well not exactly easy (not because of the increase in coders, but for the almost dramatic decrease in - active - painters.) Maybe one of the local Blender crowd can help you a little (I think I remember hearing that there was a way to generate trees in blender fairly easy... but maybe I'm mistaken. You might want to ask vilvoh on that.). But for pixel-pushers like me (I've never done, not even tried a single tree so far), that's simply too much.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

VS

There is a program called ngPlant which is supposedly best you can get in the Free department. I can't remember if it saves output as something that can be imported or not... but probably yes. imported into Blender et al, I mean.

Oh, and about the nice tops. Gauthier, I am sure that 50% of your material has enough quality to go straight in official pak, but the other 50% is not enough. Unfortunately the 50% and 50% are usually both in one object. You do absolutely wonderful things like the top of this building, and then ruin the rest with huge bricks. You have huge potential, and I think with some practice and help you can improve the bad 50% quick enough. If I could help you there, I would, but I suck at graphics. That said, you can probably get some tidbits of knowledge here and there... I am looking forward to next buildings!

gauthier

I'm a pixel painter, first I make the shape of the building in very flashy colors, after I put textures by pasting the picture on a large texture picture with the good color in transparency. I use paint for general drawing and photofiltre for changing lighting of a texture.

I use photofiltre to make mirror effects (for skyscrapers like the new RES02) and transparency for example : the windows at the top of the building. better : I use the mirror effect and after a transparency.

Explaination for the bricks :
I often use textures given in PatrickN's picture with elements for buildings (topic "free parts for painting" or something like ...) but textures are clearly not scaled, you cannot properly align multiples quares of textures so I search a texture on google picture, make it diagonal with photofiltre. The problem is that I didn't found bricks enough small and red. I prefered big red bricks. I could reduce the size much more but it would make the texture very repetitive :/

But don't hesit to say me what it must be improved for every buildings, I show you every building just 1 minute and 30 seconds after compiling ;)

emaxectranspoorte