News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

[in devloppement] High buildings

Started by gauthier, November 02, 2008, 07:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gauthier

Hi all,

the problem is this :

_I find level 60 too small for the highest buildings.
_In pak128 there was only ONE RES, COM and IND building with the highest level so when a city is growing too much, there is only these three building appearing making something very ugly ...

the project : create many new buildings for pak128 wich have a higher level than 60 BUT there must are various building to have the highest level.

I have already begun this project with these buildings :
the highest level is 80.
Post here your city buildings and ideas !

EDIT : project suspended because of no time. Feel free to use sources to resume this project.

last version of high buildings
=> http://www.simutrans-france.fr.nf/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=fr:building.snfos_high.pak
sources
=> http://graphics.simutrans.com/thumbnails.php?album=51

maister

I think, not only the height of the buidling represent a big/booming city, also is very important that the buidling are looking very nice. With nice blue, greenish or reddish-brown shining/glossy windows-surface around the building.

For impressions:
" border="0 (swiss) *pak 128*

vilvoh

Those surfaces are quite difficult to draw if you use pixel-art techniques but you may start using gradients.BTW, I like the dubai supertowers pic.... ;)

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

vilvoh

For creating the glass effect, you may use gradients (short tutorial) Basically, a gradient is a set of near colors that goes from dark to light, and it's used to simulate shadows.

From Computer Desktop encyclopedia:
QuoteA smooth blending of shades from light to dark or from one color to another. In 2D drawing programs and paint programs, gradients are used to create colorful backgrounds and special effects as well as to simulate lights and shadows.

maister

I`m not sure, if that the right effect for non transparent glazing effects like the dubai towers?

I know Photoshop good and 3d Studio Max a little bit. There you work with material-gloss(reflection-potency) and lighting (illuminate).
And sure in Photoshop you can generating only the illusion of this effect.
" border="0 (swiss) *pak 128*

vilvoh

Well, It's easier to get that effect with a 3D program like Blender or 3DSMax, of course. I'm not an expert on pixel art. Perhaps A. Brose or any other pixel-artist from here knows more about this issue.

jbode

Regarding high-level buildings:

- those unique building need to be unique in ST, as in RL
- option to define a painted object as "unique" within the pak
- option of allowed surrundings needed

I would like that (beside the graphics) into extention requests

Jörg

gauthier

last creations :

http://img1.imagilive.com/1108/HighSNFOS.PNG

I haven't really understood what you mean, can you explain ?

Quote- option to define a painted object as "unique" within the pak
- option of allowed surrundings needed

vilvoh

I would use smaller trees in rooftops. Those gardens on the top seems a little bit strange to me.

Spike

In regard to this message:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=739.msg6185#msg6185

Problem: If there are only few buildings of the highest level, cities will at some point only show these in the centers -> too many of the same buildings are shown, which looks bad.

Solution: Have a multitude of buildings on the highest level of a pak set. Simutrans will choose from them randomly and at least create a little bit more varied skyline for high level city cores.

Don't bump single buildings to a higher levels, or you'll end up with only these in city centers.

vilvoh

The highest value I would put would be 23, as much 25.. Anyway, Hajo's advice is very reasonable. Do not put the same level for all. Use a range, from 20 to 25 for example.

gauthier

???

for example the black tower :

the highest (with five blocks) is level 80
4 blocks : 64
3 blocks : 48
2 blocks : 32

same the tower which has metal tubes to support its blocks.

The highest of the third tower in the first pictures has level 80, the medium sized tower has level 60 and the small one level 40.

If I correctly understand you, I have to change highest level : exemple :
black tower 5 blocks : 85
metal tubes tower 5 blocks : 75
highest third tower : 80

but If I do this, I will finish with only black tower  ???

(offtopic : I see a dat option to draw the ground under the building in the game to avoid a graphic problem with transparancy, what is this option because I have forgotten it :( )

vilvoh

needs_ground is used when you do not want to paint building's ground, or it doesn't take the whole tile (to prevent graphic glitches or bugs I guess)

As I see it, you have several options:
1.- Put the same level for all, but different values for chance. This way all would appear from the same level but some of them would repeat more than others
2.- Put different level and the same chance. This way they will compete against other buildings with the same level, but not against the rest of the group.
3.- Different levels and chances. More variety at all levels.

Examples (lowest to highest):
1.- Level: 20 --- Chances: 18,14,10,6
2.- Levels: 14,16,18,20 -- Chance: 20
3.- Mix of the first two.

gauthier

I don't understand the utility.

For the moment I have various buildings in very dense cities, I don't need some buildings more than others.

VS

1) ::) needs_ground

2) All buildings try to upgrade as high as possible. If only one object has level 80, all buildings upgrade to this. So you need many buildings with same highest level. Best strategy for variety is making buildings with same level as highest in pakset.

@gauthier: you were right, what you thought first is correct!

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

gauthier

I have understood how to draw nice glass surfaces on buildings but there is a problem : I want theme to switch on the light in night so I can only use special colors :(

VS

Cut from them the parts that should stay lit (windows etc.) and put them into FrontImage[]=*... (use * after = )

Voila, lower "layer" of building dark, higher with windows keeps colors always same.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

gauthier

QuoteCut from them the parts that should stay lit (windows etc.) and put them into FrontImage[]=*... (use * after = )

Voila, lower "layer" of building dark, higher with windows keeps colors always same.

Can you explain it very detailled ? I don't remember see it on german wiki  :o

VS

a) BackImage is what you normally use. But you can add another image in front of it, FrontImage.

b) The = on lines where you tell which part of picture is used is not just =. You can also use => which forbids zooming, and =* which forbids dark images.

So, put the two together: windows are in separate image so it can be set to stay in day look. If you use bright colors, it looks like light in night.

No, it does not work. I can't find where it was written, too. But I remember clearly reading about it.

Oh, here: http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/05119.0/index.html

gauthier

Quote(use * after = )

I didn't see this, you're sure that it is possible ?

gauthier

SNFOS_RES03 has snowy graphics.

I have just finished SNFOS_RES04 wich won't have snowy graphics because of the solar panels on its roof.

http://img1.imagilive.com/1108/massivehouse.png (for full size)

you can donwload the latest version of the project : http://files.filefront.com/buildingSNFOS+Highzip/;12301125;/fileinfo.html

gauthier

SNFOS web page of High buildings project : (the website isn't finished yet).

http://villeme.dyndns.org/snfos/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4

(Is it possible to make a link picture, when you click on the picture, it works as a link but the link isn't shown ?)

gauthier

Last creations :
_ 3 level with one, two and three towers
_ each level has two rotations but I can only show one because of a bug.
_ each one has a snowy view.

Skyline

Quoteeeer. It was a false bug, citybuilding rotations work well, the problem is in my dat file -_-"

sorry sorry sorry sorry, 100 times sorry

result  ;D

EDIT : can an admin merge my posts please ?  ;D

done! -VS

VS

No, since you added attachments to both... you must live with your crime :P

Or delete one attachment, add it to the other post, also move all text, then delete the empty post. I can do only the same.

gauthier

I have retired the first attachments.

Quoteyou must live with your crime

lol  :D

ariarinen

Quote from: gauthier on November 28, 2008, 10:08:48 PM
Last creations :
_ 3 level with one, two and three towers
_ each level has two rotations but I can only show one because of a bug.
_ each one has a snowy view.

Skyline

result  ;D

EDIT : can an admin merge my posts please ?  ;D

done! -VS
That looks really nice

Beder

Well, i think these buildings are high, but they don't seem naturalistic ;-)

Did you ever see a building which is about 20 Meters long but 400 meters high? ^^

There was a really nice and realistic building. 2x2 or 3x3 and really high. I don't know the name anymore but i think it was a simutrans headquarter.
Some building like this would be more realistic and beautiful (and more easy to draw)... because you have more pixels and maybe it will be more easy to draw difficult buildings.

i know i'm not a talented painter but i would like your buildings more when they would get a bigger "base"

gauthier

I made it to give this feeling of very slim building. They don't seem naturalistic ... You know : newer buildings don't seem naturalistic in real life too :D

gauthier

No feedback ? How disappointing ...
I'm waiting for your remarks to improve my graphics :/