News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Word wrap in the chat window

Started by deMangler, June 08, 2011, 01:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deMangler

Don't know if this rates as a bug or a feature request but here goes.
I have noticed that in multi-player games word wrap would really be very helpful in the chat window. Some messages over-run a lot.
Perhaps an option to not display player chat in the scrolling display at the bottom would help too - it really can get backed up with player chat.

dM

jamespetts

Having been the other party to the offending conversations, I fully support this suggestion!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

An_dz

To set it: It's an extension request.

That's a good idea. I have another option:
I sometimes play a game called Soldat, it's a shooting game, and I play online often. And the chat is show on the upper left corner. I would like to consider add this option on Simutrans, it helps a lot the chat between players. And the client will choose the option he/she likes more. Here's a screen to show what I mean:

TurfIt

Messages over running is a bug, fixed but not committed yet... Adding word wrap the message list wouldn't be trivial. Gain not worth the pain IMHO. Type shorter messages.  ;)
Note: you can click on a message to open a new dialog containing the message in a word wrapped format.

Exclude chat messages from the bottom ticker is already implemented. See the message options dialog.

deMangler

Quote from: TurfIt on June 09, 2011, 08:20:30 PM
Messages over running is a bug, fixed but not committed yet... Adding word wrap the message list wouldn't be trivial. Gain not worth the pain IMHO. Type shorter messages.  ;)
Well, it's your call. But how short? The message window is re-sizable and you have no way of knowing how large someone has their message window.
To have a resizable window where the content is usually truncated at normal usage size (IMHO, and experience) is something worth more than a casual look to fix I reckon.
Anyway, I don't know the code in question, so that is all from me.
dM

prissi

You can get a popup window for the messages instead of a ticker. This fits on any screen, since it has word wrap. As said, it is just a click away in the configuration options.

deMangler

Sorry, I cannot see an option for chat there - maybe it has not made it to experimental.

I still hope a dedicated chat window is considered as I find those popups near the cursor bad enough without it being
rapid-fire chat from the other player.

Thanks for the consideration.
I will, obviously still continue to enjoy Simutrans immensely regardless of this.  :)

dM

jamespetts

A workaround, of course, is to have a simultaneous IRC session, although I suppose that those works best for those of us with multiple monitors.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.