News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Sylvan Oak Challenge -- July 2011

Started by Fifty, July 15, 2011, 02:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sybill

Sorry for the inconvenience with the new simutrans version, I played the stable version, till I encountered this bug, and in the german forum the answer was: we know it, it's fixed, try a nightly, and so I did.
I played another year now and remade my rail knot point near Chicago with Chicago station. I have now a boat going to Durham Ruins, a train from Oakcross to the two attractions there, and I connected some additional industry. And I spend some time just watching. Oh and I have a direct rail line from Torborough to Ashburn now.

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/1880_challenge_Sybill_late1885.png

@Fifty
My pakset is called pak64.scifi and it is in a very early state and not yet playable. I have a thread in the german forum about it (more about my problems with it) with some screenshots.
http://www.simutrans-forum.de/forum/thread.php?threadid=6182
And a new screenshot i just made with my newest addition: the station extension buildings in small, medium and large (this was the inspiration: overcrowding problems ;).
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/scifidemo.png

Paretje

Dear sympathisants,

Two years ago, we were proudly to announce we would continue the Sylvian Oak Challenge in there goal to make this area more economical, and more reachable. We are proudly to anounce we are now, after the second year out of debt, and we achieved one of our goals: today, all industry chains are served by us. We hope to keep our position in the next years.

To improve transport we made a shortcut between Torborough and the chemical plant, and some improvements near Atlanta. In Chicago we are waiting for permission to fill the river and connect the two pieces by tubes. Near the chemical plants we did a couple to improvements, but more are needed in the future. We should create a situation which is more future-proof.

This year, we one to make some improvements to our network. At first, we have to fix the problems we have with bringing the paper to the printing industry. At first we had two trains doing this job, but since trains were not profitable, something we had forgotten, we exchanged the trains by carriages. Though the volume transported this way aren't enough to produce our bibles.

Later, we want to start transporting passengers. We could easily transport people from Ashburn to Atlanta.

Screenshots:
http://uploads.online-urbanus.be/80b02cf73c24edf6342ffbf698776723
http://uploads.online-urbanus.be/55088a1a491daf86da4774b53a2edfa5
http://uploads.online-urbanus.be/ada2d243fc0998dc96da896cfa6aa516

Paretje

Dear followers,

Two years ago, I announced here we wanted to enter the new market of passenger transport. That's one of the most important changes we made. Most of the line between Ashburn and Atlanta is now double tracked, and all spare by-pass tracks are in use now. The second change is the passenger-railway between Ashburn and Philadelphia. This is mainly double track, and a bypass is prepared near Chicago for future trains without a stop in Chicago. Some cities are getting their horse tram.

Also, we found the solution for the paper problem. We've built a second road for paper carriages, as well as a train-track since it isn't possible to achieve enough volume with only the use of carriages.

The next challenge is Atlanta, where we've got serious problems. So we'll need absolutely a good tram network.

http://uploads.online-urbanus.be/4b5a862e7cb48454103795fd10806354
http://uploads.online-urbanus.be/38ca3d6bd657a621b64c8ed559e494f6
http://uploads.online-urbanus.be/a43551702a5546bfa4afdbefd2b66891

Optimix

Quote from: Fifty on July 27, 2011, 07:14:38 PM

NamePopulationRank/pointsSubjective+5?Total
Anime36613 (+13687)#1/2014.5Yes39.5
Sybill33631 (+10705)#3/1616Yes37
Name35707 (+12781)#2/1813Yes36

Congrats to all! I've been busy with non-Simutrans things, so I still haven't finished my first five years yet...

Well Fifty, did finish your first 5 years now? I think this challenge
is dead. Untill now I have seen only one other scenario (Anime).
There are some postings, but these are only sceenshots and
stories. Can I stop playing? I ask this, because I dont want
spend so much time, for playing a challenge with one participator. ;-)

I dont understand so well, that you put a challenge here, while
after 5 weeks since start you can't show any saved game of
yourself. You only tell a lot about plans, and how a nice game must
be played, but you are doing nothing at all.....

And who is the person named "Name" in the chart? ;-)

Optimix

Paretje, your saved game looks nice! I think this was a lot of work
for you, to egalize all the land to get such a beautiful rail cross
diagonal. Now I see that paper cars make profit. Trains with paper
cost only money.

Nice too, is that the papercars dont disturb eachother. A car has
never to wait for another car. Did you try out that, how many cars
the maximum is on that paper-trip?

I learned of your game, that trams dont need real train-stations,
and bus stops are okay too. Never knew that!

Also new for me, tunnels in a curve. It looks like if there is an
underground station there. You may teach me, how you fixed
that! ;-) It looks very nice.

Fifty

I did sort of think this challenge was dead... but I guess it's not! I got distracted by some netgames, sorry!

Quote from: Optimix on August 19, 2011, 10:47:08 PM
Can I stop playing? I ask this, because I dont want
spend so much time, for playing a challenge with one participator. ;-)

Optimix, no one is keeping you playing on this challenge! You only play as long as you like! And there is not just one participant! 5 people have finished this challenge now (including me!).

And I forgot your name... so sorry -- I was copying and pasting y'know...

@Parteje - Hello! Nice Save, a bit underdeveloped, but meticulously operated! And you taught me something too - I did not know you could make the tunnel entrance (not the tunnel itself) on a diagonal (357, 208)! Anyway, your population is 27931 (+5005) and I am giving you a subjective score of 14.

Leader Board:

NamePopulationRank/pointsSubjective+5?Total
Anime36613 (+13687)#2/1814.5Yes37.5
Sybill33631 (+10705)#4/1416Yes35
Optimix35707 (+12781)#3/1613Yes34
Parteje27931 (+5005)#5/1214Yes31
Fifty49216 (+26693)#1/20n/aYes25

Final Chapter -- 1883 & 1884

The CEO stepped up to the podium with a spring in his step. "Ladies and Gentlemen of Sylvan Oak, this marks our 5th year in business serving you, and also is a year of many milestones. This year, the population has fully doubled as compared to five years ago. We handled over a million transports this year, served four new industry routes, and built one new double track mainline. We have also made over one million credits each month this year for a total profit of over 14 million and a margin in excess of 60 %" The crowd went wild. Never before had so much been done in a single year to better Sylvan Oak.

Map:  Finances:

Vehicles:
403 Passenger Horse Carts
14 Horse Trams
111 2-4-0 (kkStB110) with 192 passenger capacity
1 2-4-0 with 72 t lumber capacity
4 0-6-0 (kkStB91) with 108 m oil capacity
12 0-6-0 with 112 crates boxed goods capacity
2 0-4-0 with 64 rolls paper capacity
2 0-4-0 with 153 t lumber capacity
4 0-4-0 with 126 t lumber capacity
3 0-4-0 with 144 t bulk goods capacity
1 0-4-0 with 160 t steel capacity
2 0-4-0 with 128 t steel capacity
23 Novia Scotia Schooners

Total Capacity of all passenger convoys: 28728 passengers, that's well over half the population!  :o

Save:http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/Fifty_SOC_1885.sve

I don't really have the time to continue this challenge, and I think this era is a little tedious. I have unlocked public service on my save and will be happy to PM the password to anyone who wishes to make some modifications or skip to a later era. If there is one thing I have learned in playing this challenge it is why I love netgaming!
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

Paretje

Quote from: Optimix on August 20, 2011, 09:03:42 PM
Paretje, your saved game looks nice! I think this was a lot of work
for you, to egalize all the land to get such a beautiful rail cross
diagonal.
Well, in fact, there was not much needed, especially for the left track ...
Normally, I wait to do this until the faster trains are coming, and when my tracks are overused. But, because of the distance of this train track, I started immediately doing it.

Nice too, is that the papercars dont disturb eachother. A car has
never to wait for another car. Did you try out that, how many cars
the maximum is on that paper-trip?
Well, yes and no. I always added 5 or 10, and on a certain moment I saw the way was full of vehicles. So, I was lucky, I didn't have to remove any vehicles.

Also new for me, tunnels in a curve. It looks like if there is an
underground station there. You may teach me, how you fixed
that! ;-) It looks very nice.

Oh, quite simple, you just have to place the beginning and ending of the tunnel by using the Ctrl key, and in undergroundmodus, you can place it in a curve. It's something I've used a lot in the past.

Severous

Hiya.

Thought I would have a little dabble. Been a few years since I played Simutrans.

I went bankrupt in July of the first year. So I read the helpful guide on what causes bankruptcy and reloaded a save from a month earlier.  Narrowly avoiding bankruptcy I have now played one year of game time.

Bankruptcy had been caused by too much demolishing and relaying of tracks, and investing in expensive bridges on an overly ambitious expansion west from Chicago.  Also the Chemical line had come to a grinding halt due to over supply of the Pharmacy with chemicals.

At this point I am just adding trains and ships to the network already in place.  Debt keeps going up but as long as net wealth remains positive I will keep spending.

Population is rising and is shown in the screenshot.

Edit Update:
Have now played 18months of this game.

It was here that I went bankrupt a year ago.  The construction of the railroad west from Chicago.  But 12 month on and the profitable ships and trains are funding network improvements and expansion.  The ships had connected many tourist attractions and added passenger travels to the network. The rails are built completely to the western edge of the map. Next I will build into the south west before connecting to the existing network near Atlanta.

Here my preferred train consist is about to tackle the steepest climb on this map.  Its going at full speed and has a dead straight track so hopefully wont loose too much momentum.

Edit: Updated
With the main passenger network now built I turn to the building of the Wood>Paper>books route that I had started before going bankrupt.  This screen shot shows me watching the first wood hauling trains arriving to take up their duties.  The shot is also unusual as there are no passenger trains at all in shot.

I will try 1x7 log wagon consist train on each of the 3 forests, 1x6 paper wagon train, and a fleet of oxen wagons to regulate the wood delivery from the log store station into the paper mill.
The shot shows 2 of the 3 goods trains servicing the chemical industry. One supplies the pharmacy in Atlanta, 2 the more distant Pharmacy in Ashburn. 1 of my 6 chemical trains is also in shot.

2 years played.

All towns and attractions connected.  Have just tried the Steel industry.  My plan was for empty coal trains to pick up some iron ore as they headed back to the coal mine.  But the iron mines produce so much ore the trains completely fill up with iron.  I will spend a while working out how to re-organize this industry line.  Then it will be alterations to the circular passenger line, making instead shorter branch lines and more point to point services.

End of another year.
Ships are being withdrawn now that rails reach most locations.
4 Rail routes pass through this station. They arrive via three of the lines, and all leave via one.  Its a cause of delay. I need to do something to reduce the waiting at signals.

6months to go.  My passenger carried % is inching upwards but its not going to be enough to grow population to match others attempts.

When Im done I might try to load the save of others gamers to see if I can work out what they did to cause population growth.
Regards
Sev.

Severous

5 Years completed. Population: 41,501

As the chart in the top left shows my % of passenger travels completed was climbing throughout the 5 years but it was just not enough to match the best of those who played before.

I probably should have moved passengers on more direct routes rather than exploiting them on long looping journeys.  Operational profit was £1.8m per month.
Regards
Sev.

Fifty

Very nice result Severous! And nice to see you playing Simutrans again. Can I see a copy of your savegame? The screenshots look nice. There are some advantages to designing the map, I see :)

I have thought about moving the timeline forward to 1915 and continuting this game then, but I have been spending so much time netgaming that I don't have much time for solo games.

Optimix

Nice that you completed the 5 years too! Can we watch your game?

Quote from: Severous on September 28, 2011, 11:28:21 PM
5 Years completed. Population: 41,501
(....)
I probably should have moved passengers on more direct routes rather than exploiting them on long looping journeys.  Operational profit was £1.8m per month.
Funny what you are telling there. My first thought is, that it just is better for the population-growth to cheat a little bit with exploiting passengers on long looping journeys and unlogical travels.

If a passenger is travelling with a direct route to his destionation, you have 1 trip. If the same passenger has to use 5 trains, so 4 transits, there are 5 trips. The question is: is there any connection between population growth and number of trips? (you can watch that in the final option in the finances menu)

And another question is: is there any connection between the number of passengers that are generated (waiting for travelling at the stations) and the how easy the destination is to reach? In other words: are there more passengers generated for direct routes, and less for complicated routes?
I hope my English is good enough to understand....;-)

Fifty

Quote from: Optimix on September 29, 2011, 12:44:34 AM
If a passenger is travelling with a direct route to his destionation, you have 1 trip. If the same passenger has to use 5 trains, so 4 transits, there are 5 trips. The question is: is there any connection between population growth and number of trips? (you can watch that in the final option in the finances menu)

No, the population has nothing to do with the number of trips, merely the percentage of the mail and pax going out of the town and the percentage of goods coming in to end consumers (not middle consumers such as steel mill, paper mill, ect, but consumers with no output like Pharmacy, Material wholesale, power plant).

Quote from: Optimix on September 29, 2011, 12:44:34 AM
And another question is: is there any connection between the number of passengers that are generated (waiting for traveling at the stations) and the how easy the destination is to reach? In other words: are there more passengers generated for direct routes, and less for complicated routes?

The same number of passengers will be generated for a short or transfer-free route and for a long or multi-transfer one provided that those routes are the only route to the destination. (Note this has changed in recent nightlies; a locality factor favors local destinations). If there are two routes to one destination, pax will always take the one with fewer transfers, and if two routes have the same number of transfers, the one with the shorter first leg of the journey. This caused some problems in my save because many destinations had two routes each with two transfers, so pax would take one route there and another back.

@Severous (Based on your city growth question elsewhere): City Sprawl has nothing to do with Population growth.