News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Wish list

Started by isidoro, November 05, 2008, 03:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isidoro

I was wondering what I would add to the game if I had a magic wand.  These are not extension requests since most of them have already been proposed, but a wish list.  If the topic is not appropriate, please feel free to close it.  If anybody wants to focus on one of them, a new thread can be opened but seemed too many to open them at the same time. Here is my list in no particular order with easier and more difficult (even impossible I dare say) things:

• Ships not overlapping
  • Diagonal tunnel entrances
  • A full set of ribis.  I would like to have two parallel diagonal tracks on one tile (that is, opened in four directions but N-E and S-W independently connected, for instance
  • A way to show routes or lines on the world (similarly to the reservation path obtained with 'B' key) when creating or modifying
  • Whatever that can be done horizontally or vertically, that can also be done diagonally
  • Multiplayer
  • Half-slope bridges or ramps

Last one deserves explanation.  If you have a big mountain, in real life, roads and better still railways are build in an 'S' like fashion so that the slope is not too high.  In Simutrans you can build a straight road to the summit.  If you have bridges of ramps that go forward 3 tiles and 1 tile up, one could use one of those, then turn, then another, up to the summit.

What is your list?

prissi

The last one is in the code and was operational once. However, the textured system need extension to cover for double height slopes. Fruthermore the landscape generator was quite reluctant to actually generate double hieght slopes.

Spike

An old entry from my list:

• Lakes on higher level areas, that are automagically generated during world creation.

Edit: Do current Simutrans versions and pak sets have pipelines for water, oil and natural gas already? That was also on my list, but I haven't checked this anymore.

Combuijs

QuoteDo current Simutrans versions and pak sets have pipelines for water, oil and natural gas already?

No, they are not available in Simutrans currently. I remember there was a discussion about this in the old forum, but I could not find it. Main disadvantage of having pipelines is that there are no vehicles involved, so no fun...
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

VS

Lakes and water streams (mostly rivers, but I wouldn't be against more differentiation).

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

micslu

Hi, I would like to add:

City streets not taking over special roads like autobahn
It's irritating when even with careful planning of autobahns with rail tracks and parallel roads
some inconsiderate squatters manage to squeeze in to blemish the highspeed road, usually
in some far corner of the map where I'm not carefully monitoring for a long time.
(After all there are better places for them to settle in, like near my bus stops!)

Is it possible to have special class of roads (like autobahn) that will be exempt from city street-fication?
I think it is also quite silly to have to lay railroad tracks (or even fences) along autobahn just for this.

Better development around railroad stations

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but rural stations even with bus services to industries and tourist
attractions (so there are some passengers generation) do not get developed at all, although you
would think logically there will be some development after a while (I know game logic is not the same
as real world logic).

But overall I'm happily playing this great game! Thanks to all.
(still playing Windows GDI 99.18-1727 + Pak128 - this has been quite stable for me)
micslu

Dwachs

Quote from: prissi on November 05, 2008, 09:08:28 AM
The last one is in the code and was operational once. However, the textured system need extension to cover for double height slopes. Fruthermore the landscape generator was quite reluctant to actually generate double hieght slopes.

May I ask what you implemented? A double-height system, where the todays tile-height was considered as double height in your patch? And what causes problems? the graphics mainly?

As I understand, the landscape generator makes 'smooth' heightfield, so indeed double-heights would occur rarely.

Would it be possible to implement the 'bride ramp' wish like it was done for the diagonal graphics:
== determine from the ribis/slopes that the track goes some tiles straight to the slope and then upwards, find the suitable ramp-graphics in the way*pak
== vehicle movement / speed calculation / map rotation - routines has to be changed on these ramps

The idea is
== the ramp is build automatically whenever the right track configuration is built
== the track-graphic designer can provide such ramped track graphics (if no graphics are available no ramps are build) - however to support the feature a load of new graphics are required.
== if the user edits the track there, the track goes 'back' to the graphics as they appear now (flat  and full-height slopes track)
== no internal fiddling with terrain structures needed

If I only had some spare time to try these things.....
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

In the double height system only single height steps were allowed for trains. (With the expection of bridges) But before doing this, going to a textured 3D underground seems a better choice to me.

jbode

Please have my wish on the list:

a better underground-mode-editor.

I find it particularly hard to have 2 level underground system of same track type constructed.

Thanks - Jörg

DirrrtyDirk

In another thread Kieron said that he's already working on improvements for the underground mode (e.g. slopes). So let's wait and see.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

kierongreen

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on November 06, 2008, 02:49:24 PM
In another thread Kieron said that he's already working on improvements for the underground mode (e.g. slopes). So let's wait and see.
It's in progress. Due to real life I've not got an awful lot of time at the moment for simutrans (at the moment checking the forum once every day or two is about it).
Single/double height slopes would be a real pain with regards to textures.

marioxcc

higher release rate 8).