News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

miniature fakes

Started by sdog, July 20, 2011, 06:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdog

Recently i became quite fond of making miniat
ure fakes in gimp, with it's excellent focus blur plugin. Since here are quite a lot train and toy train enthusiasts i just started a topic.

You can find quite a lot in this flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/tilt-shift1-2miniatures/pool/

here's my latest, a mashup of a photo by jpmueller99

coaltrain by knehcsg

here's my first go at it, from a photo i took in tokyo

Near Ueno Station by knehcsg

vilvoh

One from my own gallery  ;D

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

An_dz

This remembers me of Keith Loutit's work, the difference is that he uses special lens, no editing. And he makes tilt shifting videos.
Those interested look his vimeo account. Full HD is even better.

sdog

just watche the video at the container terminal, bathtub V. it is very impressive. especially at 2 minutes plus it looks wonderfull. thanks for sharing the link An_dz.

transporter

I've always been interested in photography and tilt-shift specifically. Anyone know how it's done?

vilvoh

I use tiltshiftmaker.com/ but there are lots of tutorials for photoshop and gimp. Basically, the point is to concentrate the focus and blur the rest of the image, but using blur gradients.

Václav

Quote from: sdog on July 20, 2011, 06:38:02 PM

Very interesting photos, mostly the first one, of all ... but hard to say in which scale it is.

I think it is H0 (H zero) but I may be wrong in this thought.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

sdog

thanks Vaclav, i'm glad it worked as intended.

there two major methods:
the simple one fist a gradiant map as a mask for a gaussian-blured layer. At the area where the mask is white the resulting image will be fully blured, where it is dark the non blured image shows through.

a more refined one uses an actuall depth map, where the gray scale defines the distance to the lens. you can get it automatically when using a stereo camera. but you can make a simple one easily in photoshop/gimp

here's mine for the train station:

toyueno_depthmap by knehcsg

at first you define one plane where your gradient progresses, that is in my case the railway ballast. i put a basic layer of a gradient going from white at the bottom to black at the top.
if i now want to put in a vertical object, i go to the spot where it intersects my plane. in the example of the catenary-bridge it is where it stands on the railway ballast. I go to that spot and take with the pipette tool the colour of the gray-gradient and paint the object in my layer. this can be repeated for all relevant objects.

Next step is the focus blur plugin (standard included in new gimp, for older you can download it) it applies a blur effect on a image layer based on the grayscale of a depth-map layer (the one i described howto do). You pick the grayscale where it is in focus (in my example around 60) and let it render. It can create a more realistic bokeh, by let you choose different patterns for the out of focus discs. (You can see that strongly in the foreground of my image, lines became double not just soft, very typical for many lenses with high apertures.)

An_dz

Quote from: transporter on July 21, 2011, 05:51:57 AM
I've always been interested in photography and tilt-shift specifically. Anyone know how it's done?

Keith Loutit uses some special lens, in some comments he tells what he used. Some quotes:

Quote from: Keith Loutit
Hi mbgriffi - Yes timelapse and archive high quality stills. I edit using FC Pro, Color and occasionally motion. Thanks for asking. Keith.

Quote from: Keith Loutit
Hi David, Lenses only. I have converted MF lenses to tilt & mounted them on a DSLR. The reason the poles are also out of focus is that the plane of focus created by the tilt shift lens has been flattened to cut through the scene. At closer subject distances you could control this better

sdog

what tilt-shift actually is, is very well described in the article on the view camera. it is a good read on photography in general, the optic hasn't changed in the last 150 years.

transporter

That's an old camera. And I looked up tilt-shift photography and found out that it's mostly just the tilt feature that's used

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

colonyan

I just love those miniature photos! Thanks for images and links! I have higher heart beat now.

sdog

i did another transport related miniature fake again. This time it's a toronto tube (ttc) and the people boarding it:

static display of motion? by knehcsg, on Flickr

VS

Wonderful... how did you get so detailed toy people? ;D

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

vilvoh

sdog

you had the perfect angle for tilt shift.

The last one looks particularily toy-like.

vilvoh

If the photo is good enough and I get bored of uploading the same things, I usually try the tiltshift solution...  ;D

AP

Tilt lenses are great fun. The photoshopping, if done well, is arguably more effective than the actual lens effect for stuff like this, since in real life you're limited by the optics as to how much blur you can get. That said, I love my Tilt lens for some other tricks it can do (e.g. focus near and far away at the same time).

mEGa

Well some tests with photos from my new camera :

Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks